• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I usually shoot my AR suppressed but took the can off this weekend and it didn't cycle.
    I'm guessing that it's clogged up. If I have to take it apart anyway I'm considering a low profile adjustable gas block. Am I on the right track? any recommendations on the gas block?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't forget to pack the allen key with you, you'll notice that on colder/hotter days you'll have to make fine adjustments to the gas settings to maintain optimum performance.

Forgot mine on a cold day at DSC, rifle choked on the bulk ammo I brought, had to buy a few boxes of something a little hotter to keep it running right.

Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    I have the strike industries adjustable block from shot show. I love it. I don't think you can buy them yet though. They should be out soon at about 90 dollars

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks Fellas.
    I want to get rid of the milspec sight and was leaning toward the SLR to start with. Went ahead and ordered that along with a new tube. I haven't had to change a gas block before. Any tips?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you have a FSB, make sure you bang the pins out in the correct direction. They are tapered. It will require good solid force to remove them.
    Most are tapered, I have one that isn't (just dowel pinned), but... follow the advice above either way! :thumbsup:

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Wow - front pin was a little more stubborn than I expected.
    Good thing I had a bigger hammer :)

Funny thing, the gas tube wasn't clogged at all
    I wanted to change the gas block anyway but now I'm wondering why the gun didn't cycle in the first place.
    What could cause that? The BCG looked okay. Not clean but not excessively dirty and still had oil on it. Cycled fine with the handle. Ammo was good (XM193)
    Any ideas?

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Wow - front pin was a little more stubborn than I expected.
    Good thing I had a bigger hammer :)

Funny thing, the gas tube wasn't clogged at all
    I wanted to change the gas block anyway but now I'm wondering why the gun didn't cycle in the first place.
    What could cause that? The BCG looked okay. Not clean but not excessively dirty and still had oil on it. Cycled fine with the handle. Ammo was good (XM193)
    Any ideas?

Did you check the gas key for obstruction or constriction? Run a piece of string trimmer line through it all the way into the piston cylinder(where the tail of the bolt resides).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom