• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 13, 2005
    We are all pretty aware of Wolf and ELEYs reputation as great performers, but I think the OP was looking for more cost effective ammo.

Doh, guess not everyone ;)

Seriously tho, the Wolf line of 22LR is in the upper mid range of cost for 22 ammo, there is some out there that is much more, but unless your shooting at the Olympic level, it will perform as well as you do.

Relatively speaking tho, it's still pretty a pretty cheap way to go shooting - a brick of 500 is less than a good steak dinner and some drinks.

I agree with BlueHeeler, which is what I did as well, spend some on about a dozen types in small quantities and you will find what YOUR rifle likes. Which might be different than all of us. And with luck it will be something inexpensive and readily available :)

One of the worst I tried was Green Tag and it shot horrendously for me. The only worse performer was SuperX.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    ...One of the worst I tried was Green Tag and it shot horrendously for me. The only worse performer was SuperX.

Green Tag blows as does most Winchester .22lr that I've tried. Had some Win in a white box with red lettering and it drove me mad.

Thunderbolt is the absolute worst, followed closely by Blazer. Actually, they kind of completely suck the same. Never had so many duds/FTFs in a box as those two. Grrrr. Makes me angry just thinking about them.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Green Tag blows as does most Winchester .22lr that I've tried. Had some Win in a white box with red lettering and it drove me mad.

Thunderbolt is the absolute worst, followed closely by Blazer. Actually, they kind of completely suck the same. Never had so many duds/FTFs in a box as those two. Grrrr. Makes me angry just thinking about them.

I agree with thunderbolt, but I'm shocked with blazer. Everyone I've talked to about it is very happy with it, including me. In at least three different guns I've run something around 2k rounds through, and I homely can't think of any problems with it. Given, it's all rifles, but it's all worked perfectly.

Getting a 22/45 next week, so we'll see how it works in pistols.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I agree with thunderbolt, but I'm shocked with blazer. Everyone I've talked to about it is very happy with it, including me. In at least three different guns I've run something around 2k rounds through, and I homely can't think of any problems with it. Given, it's all rifles, but it's all worked perfectly.

Getting a 22/45 next week, so we'll see how it works in pistols.

Just my experience. I can't vouch for everyone elses rifles. There is nothing crazier than the differences between .22 rifles. Even from the same manufacturer. Wish mine ate them like yours does.:o

dirtybird

Mar 20, 2010
    :thumbsup:
    The CCI Standard's stay subsonic in my FVSR's 16inch barrel and sound great with my SS Sparrow attached. So compared to CCI Sub's I hear no real difference. Since I can buy the Standard's by the brick it makes no sense, atleast to me, to buy the Sub's.

Yep other than being a bit more dirty, the standard velocity stuff is accurate and cheap. best deal with free shipping is here for case 5000

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Going thru this right now with my Savage, so far the best I've found is the Wolf match target at 5.79 a box. Target is from yesterday, 50 shots at 50 yards. Fired from the bipod,no rear rest.
    DSCN0779.jpg

Wow!!!! That rifle is gorgeous!!!!

Tell me about it!
    What make?? What model??
    Scope??
    Mount???
    Rings??

I'm likin' that . . . A LOT!!!!

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    For good, accurate over the counter stuff my son and I both have found that our guns like CCI standard velocity 40grain round nose.

We both shoot hbars, his a brand new MKII and mine a 10/22. We both shoot similar as to what is seen above at 50 meters.

And I too have spent alot of time shooting different brands and grains through different guns. CCI still outshoots the others in all around shooting no matter what gun I shoot with whether it be one of the hbars or a cricket or anything in between.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Dicks in bel air didn't have any cci sv's, not sure if they were out, or just don't carry them. Anyone know of anywhere else in the bel air/churchville/aberdeen type area that would stock them? Want to try them in my savage...

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Not sure if you wanna make the drive, but the Gaithersburg Dick's usually has them by the brick. That's where I get mine.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

I don't have any problem at all with Thunderbolt. I shoot them out of my Mark I, II, and 10/22 all the time. Out of the thousands of rounds I have fired, I have never had a dud and only a handful of rounds that would not feed. They are dirty and not the most accurate, but for three cents a round, they are hard to beat.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I don't have any problem at all with Thunderbolt. I shoot them out of my Mark I, II, and 10/22 all the time. Out of the thousands of rounds I have fired, I have never had a dud and only a handful of rounds that would not feed. They are dirty and not the most accurate, but for three cents a round, they are hard to beat.

My experience was so bad with them, I almost took your post as sarcasm. Re-reading it again, I believe you're serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom