• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    What is good over-the-counter 22lr ammo that will give me good accuracy at 50 or 100 yards without breaking the bank? They will be fired from a Savage Mk II bolt gun.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I run CCI Standard Velocity in my Savage MkII FVSR. Its consitent and accurate. You can buy it in 500 round bricks at Dick's Sporting Goods.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I run CCI Standard Velocity in my Savage MkII FVSR. Its consitent and accurate. You can buy it in 500 round bricks at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Wife shoots the same stuff in her Marlin 60. It's pretty darn good.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    CCI makes some great .22 ammo.
    You can also try Federal "AutoMatch" if you can find it.
    It comes in tan and black boxes of 325 rounds(I think) and it's pretty reliable, accuracy is good, and it's affordable.
    Just shoots a little dirty and while it's made for semi-autos I'm sure it would work fine in a bolt gun.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    CCI makes some great .22 ammo.
    You can also try Federal "AutoMatch" if you can find it.
    It comes in tan and black boxes of 325 rounds(I think) and it's pretty reliable, accuracy is good, and it's affordable.
    Just shoots a little dirty and while it's made for semi-autos I'm sure it would work fine in a bolt gun.

I wasn't impressed with that stuff. Felt that cci blazer was just as good for less.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I wasn't impressed with that stuff. Felt that cci blazer was just as good for less.

I've only ever used it in semiautos. When Walmart sold it it was more affordable but I haven't seen any there for a while. I guess I like it so much because it's the only bulk box of ammo I've found where I can shoot the whole box in my 10/22 and only get one jam it if that.

May 13, 2005
    ~1 moa at 50 yards is my goal for the kind of drills I'd like to run.

By 1 MOA you mean a two inch group at 50, right?

Then the CCI mentioned would work, as well as even the Remington bulk pack might even do the job. I would stay away from the Winchester Bulk.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Going thru this right now with my Savage, so far the best I've found is the Wolf match target at 5.79 a box. Target is from yesterday, 50 shots at 50 yards. Fired from the bipod,no rear rest.
    DSCN0779.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
      IMG_0066.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 390

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I shoot Federal Bulk 36 grain Champion. It's pretty accurate at 100 yds. I buy most of my ammo online. Whatever works best for your rifle. Since you have a bolt gun, I would think that it should eat just about anything without a problem.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    How well does this suppress vs sub sonic?

The CCI Standard's stay subsonic in my FVSR's 16inch barrel and sound great with my SS Sparrow attached. So compared to CCI Sub's I hear no real difference. Since I can buy the Standard's by the brick it makes no sense, atleast to me, to buy the Sub's.

May 13, 2005
    No, 1 MOA would be just over 2 inches at 200 yards, 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

LOL, I was inversing it :) Too much math in the head can be a bad thing sometimes ;)

For 1/2" groups at 50, I would say CCI isn't going to cut it. Try Wolf match target, wolf match extra or lapua standard (which is basically the same as wolf) but I've found it cheaper sometimes than the wolf after the prices jumped a few years back.

I spent quite a bit of time and money shooting a lot of different kinds of ammo through three different platforms and that was the best bang for the buck in that size group for the money.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    We are all pretty aware of Wolf and ELEYs reputation as great performers, but I think the OP was looking for more cost effective ammo.

Federal AutoMatch has been the best (consistent, accurate) "bulk" ammo in my rifle. YMMV

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    IME .22s can be ammo finicky. Buy a 50 round boxes of the usual suspects and test to see what works to figure the best brand/value for your gun.

In example my 10/22 excels with Federal bulk and ultra expensive match Eley. The Mark II is silly accurate with Walmart automatch, but is not as good with Federal bulk. They both will shoot well with Wolf, but that is a tad spendy.

To figure out what your gun likes only takes a great day at the range doing experimentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom