• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Obviously my experience in NJ was different... If it happened to me as you say, my retirement income would be increased greatly as a result of the lawsuit. FOPA is law, (preemptive of state law in this case), not an affirmative defense. My wife is from NH and I hunt and shoot there a lot. I can’t avoid, for the most part, a combination of traveling through NJ, NY, CN, and MA---all with draconian anti 2A laws. As long as my guns are cased, unloaded, ammunition stored separately, and guns not within reach of myself or passengers I’m good to go---I refuse to be a *****.

Don't want to violate any copyrights by copying text, but I'll just leave this here: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx

In short, it says that some localities treat FOPA as if it were an affirmative defense.

Nothing in NJ law prevents an officer from exercising discretion, but there's certainly no guarantee that every officer will exercise the same discretion you experienced in every future encounter.

Everyone must decide for themselves whether the potential headache is worth it and for me it is not.

Marksman

sniff, sniff... you had me at WTF...

Hello to all, and thanks for the automated welcome... much appreciated.

My wife and family are planning a trip from Ohio to Virginia Beach. Since our Mapquest directions are taking us through the great State of Maryland, I'm doing some homework regarding the what, whos, hows and whys of my EDC.

I found some info on handguns.us and saw that Maryland seemed a bit "strict" regarding the cans and can't of CC, so I looked deeper and found this site.

After browsing through some topics here in the forums, I've come to one conclusion...

WTF!!!

I cant believe the things you are all going through to obtain a license. My money says your elected officials and their respective families are well protected from the very same criminals that all of you law abiding constituents are wary of. My honest heart felt prayers are with you all.

As far as my travel route goes, it looks as if I'll be needing to pull over before hitting the state line, removing the Kimber and stowing it in a locked container that will be on the roof of the vehicle, unloaded (and seperate from the ((unloaded??)) magazine?)... then repeated in reverse once in the free state of Virginia. A reply to the validity of the above method is highly appreciated:)

I thought all of this to be a pain and nonsense until I learned of your plight. It makes my little venture to the back of my vehicle on the side of the road a mere hiccup.

Why, being under the same umbrella of the 2A, you and I have such different 'rules' regarding our liberty?

I may not be a taxpayer in your state, but I have to abide by the same laws on the books as you while I'm there, making me an interested party. Unfortunatly, my family and I will NOT be stopping in your fair state as I'll be gassing up in the free state of PA and driving right through MD, not contributing a nickel to your states economy. There are over 300,000 fellow Ohioans with a CC license that feel the same way, and thats just OHIO.

Until the MD legislature steps into the 21st century and aknowleges my worth as a law abiding human being, MD will never be considered to be in the running for any vacation destination either. In fact there is still a chance of driving around your state all together.

In reading back the above text before closing, I hope that I did not come off as rude or berating you, my fellow citizens. Any distain is to be directed directly to your elected officials be they red or blue.... No mater their politics it is obvious to me that they are simply wrong and its you the taxpayers are paying with their lives. Literally with your lives.

Again, my prayers and thoughts are with you all. Anything else I can do, let me know... if it is within my power I'll do it. Good luck to all...

Feel free to forward this to the elected official of your choosing and let them know how the neighbors feel...

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    It goes something like this

If you're goin' through hell (MD) keep on going
    Don't slow down if you're scared don't show it
    You might get out before the devil (MSP) even knows you're there

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hello to all, and thanks for the automated welcome... much appreciated.

My wife and family are planning a trip from Ohio to Virginia Beach. Since our Mapquest directions are taking us through the great State of Maryland, I'm doing some homework regarding the what, whos, hows and whys of my EDC.

I found some info on handguns.us and saw that Maryland seemed a bit "strict" regarding the cans and can't of CC, so I looked deeper and found this site.

After browsing through some topics here in the forums, I've come to one conclusion...

WTF!!!

I cant believe the things you are all going through to obtain a license. My money says your elected officials and their respective families are well protected from the very same criminals that all of you law abiding constituents are wary of. My honest heart felt prayers are with you all.

As far as my travel route goes, it looks as if I'll be needing to pull over before hitting the state line, removing the Kimber and stowing it in a locked container that will be on the roof of the vehicle, unloaded (and seperate from the ((unloaded??)) magazine?)... then repeated in reverse once in the free state of Virginia. A reply to the validity of the above method is highly appreciated:)

I thought all of this to be a pain and nonsense until I learned of your plight. It makes my little venture to the back of my vehicle on the side of the road a mere hiccup.

Why, being under the same umbrella of the 2A, you and I have such different 'rules' regarding our liberty?

I may not be a taxpayer in your state, but I have to abide by the same laws on the books as you while I'm there, making me an interested party. Unfortunatly, my family and I will NOT be stopping in your fair state as I'll be gassing up in the free state of PA and driving right through MD, not contributing a nickel to your states economy. There are over 300,000 fellow Ohioans with a CC license that feel the same way, and thats just OHIO.

Until the MD legislature steps into the 21st century and aknowleges my worth as a law abiding human being, MD will never be considered to be in the running for any vacation destination either. In fact there is still a chance of driving around your state all together.

In reading back the above text before closing, I hope that I did not come off as rude or berating you, my fellow citizens. Any distain is to be directed directly to your elected officials be they red or blue.... No mater their politics it is obvious to me that they are simply wrong and its you the taxpayers are paying with their lives. Literally with your lives.

Again, my prayers and thoughts are with you all. Anything else I can do, let me know... if it is within my power I'll do it. Good luck to all...

Feel free to forward this to the elected official of your choosing and let them know how the neighbors feel...

I really wish I was back home in Mansfield....Have a safe trip, when you stop to unstrap, top off the tank, use the restroom for everyone, get a bite to eat, and try not to stop if at all possible in MD.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    "I cant believe the things you are all going through to obtain a license."

We common folk cannot obtain the license and probably never will in this state. The only people that have to jump through hoops are the ones that have the G and S reason .

Money and possessions are more valuable than human life in Maryland.

Just spent the weekend in MA. (grew up there) and realized its actually easier to get a CCW in MA than it is in MD. Yes, you will have to butter up your local police chief, but its nothing like MD. Yes, I face palm myself everyday for moving from one awful state to another.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As long as talking 'bout going to NH . Back in 1990 I figured out the least worst alternative , and that was befor CT jumped into the frying pan.

Get on I-81 north either via Hagerstown or Harrisburg. Take I-81 thru Pa into upstate NY. I disrember the number w/o a map , but head past Saratoga Spring , then go east on secondary road of choice into Vt , bypassing MA totally.

I would much rather drive thru the Poconos than NJ and NYC metro area.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Welcome. Feel free to stick around MDS. We have in depth discussions of National 2A issues , and of all aspects of the shooting sports, and many members from around the country , and even the world.

Yes , at the moment Md is on the front line of the 2A fight. Just as shooters from around the country support their brothers in places like Cali and Illionis , Md can use support from the larger 2A community.

As to your journey from NE Ohio :
    Option #1 - take Pa Turnpike to Breezewood Pa , south on I-70 . Unload and stow , cross border , take imeadate exit for US522 south. Aprox 2min later you will be in WV , and you can rearm . Follow 522 soth to Winchester Va , and from their you can head to DC Beltway , and take usual route to Va Beach. Little out of your way , and depending on traffic could be quicker.

Option #2 - Near Pittsburg take I-79 south thru WV to I-64 East , and then I-64 goes directly to Tidewater Va area. Longer , but very senic.

First, welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay!

OP, I recommend Option #2, but should you take Option #1, there is a WV State Park on US522 that has a trap range. For 23 bucks a round they supply a shotgun, ammo, clays, eye/ear protection and vest.

http://www.cacaponresort.com/recreation.htm

The state park is about 7-8 miles south of Berkeley Springs on the right side.

You have pretty much stated the dream of every MD gun owner: having a Shall Issue permit system fro CCW. Not to say I am a little envious, but my day will come soon enough when I finally see MD in the rear view mirror, when I cross the Potomac River going south on US522. I do not wish our struggles on anybody, but for the love of god, do not ever accept a job in MD. You think it looks bad on the outside looking in? Just wait till you actually have to live here (more like try to survive). The taxes are beyond atrocious, the school funds are always being cut, LEO/FD/EMS funds are always being cut, yet the state spending continues to go up. It isn't just about firearms for us, it is the whole picture that makes us shake our heads.

Thanks for popping in and I'll be out in Ohio in the near future with my dad, when we do our annual road trip. We usually run I-70W out to Kansas/Colorado. This year me might drop into see the Sierra factory out in Missouri, to get a bunch of blemished bullets! :D

gaptrick

Jun 18, 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    Answer me this... G & S I think... "Good enough reason to carry" I gather. I saw somewhere here that if your G & S is valid enough and a license is issued, one can STILL only carry while exersizing the reason given in their G & S...

In other words, If I have a license to carry because I own a 7-11 and I'm found to be carrying, I darn sure better be in the process of a money drop or I'm illegal... true?

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    G&S is Good and Substantial. Here in this great state, you need to be mugged, raped, and have your life threatened..... Multiple times, before they will even consider giving you a conceal carry permit. Even then, you will be waiting months, if not longer.

Or you can own a store front... but IDK about those details, as I do not own one.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Well thanks to all for the replys... Some pretty funny, others very sad because of the reality of it all.

A little history 101 on me... I'm 55 and relitivly new to firearms. Wasn't exposed to them as a kid in my suburban neighborhood so never really gave them much of a thought.

Then, in 2007, two kids who worked for a hospital system here (Cleveland Clinic or University... not sure now...) were cutting through a city park in downtown Cleveland headed to their cars after a coworkers b-day party at a local pub. There, two thugs robbed them at gunpoint, had them kneel and shot both in the back of their heads. One actually survived and is doing very well while the other died on the spot. This is the story that prompted me to join what was left of the human race and get protection for me and the family.

I didn't know of Ohio's struggles in finally getting SHALL issue status in 2004 as I didn't get in the game until 2008. I've learned alot about it though being a member of our home state organization Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    ( http://www.ohioccwforums.org/ ) Now I don't go anywhere without carrying.

I think of those 2 kids again while looking into Marylands issues and just can not for the life of me see where the anti's are coming from and how they can sit there and say these two boys are better dead than given the chance to grow, father children and live an honorable life, because by God almighty, this is what they're saying loud and clear.

You would think that the actual stats from all the other shall issue states would overwhelmingly tip the scales to the side of "allowing" the God given right of self preservation (as if man has the power to grant or deny this...). Can't they see that they're jacking with the good guys while the bad guys don't feel a pinch?

Luckily for the Marylanders though that like in NY and IL, crime only happens in the home and never on the stree or any public places... I'm sure the stats back that up.

Anyhow, I'll be dropping the cost of a box of .45 into the box marked MSI.org
    and thinking of you on my drive by (yes, skipping your state all together is the decision).

I wish all of you the very best and will be sticking my nose in here on occasion to see where you all stand. To be fair, Ohio has alot of misgivings in their gun laws and we are always striving to make the changes in them to favor the law abiding community. My hope and prayers are that you catch up to Ohio's weak attempt at firearm liberty.

And in signing off, there was one reply, the first maybe (mods may have deleted...?), Asking my about my "EDC" that I mentioned in my post. He said he knew what The E-D was... Erectile Dysfunction., but didn't know the C...

EDC is "Every Day Carry" piece. Now as far as my erectile dysfunction goes, thats a post for another time...:)

Hey! None of that logic stuff here in Maryland! You want to quote statistics and anecdotes about defending oneself with firearms? It's all shenanigans to MD politicos. They tax the rain here, after all.

And it is a shame about those kids getting set up execution style in a park. I really hope that sparked a community uproar and the criminal scum that did it got brought to justice.

SOMDHoya

Jan 17, 2013
    If so many of us didn't have such deep roots in this states, we would all leave and leave it to the liberals and criminals...

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Welcome. Feel free to stick around MDS. We have in depth discussions of National 2A issues , and of all aspects of the shooting sports, and many members from around the country , and even the world.

Yes , at the moment Md is on the front line of the 2A fight. Just as shooters from around the country support their brothers in places like Cali and Illionis , Md can use support from the larger 2A community.

As to your journey from NE Ohio :
    Option #1 - take Pa Turnpike to Breezewood Pa , south on I-70 . Unload and stow , cross border , take imeadate exit for US522 south. Aprox 2min later you will be in WV , and you can rearm . Follow 522 soth to Winchester Va , and from their you can head to DC Beltway , and take usual route to Va Beach. Little out of your way , and depending on traffic could be quicker.

Option #2 - Near Pittsburg take I-79 south thru WV to I-64 East , and then I-64 goes directly to Tidewater Va area. Longer , but very senic.

Take Option #2. Avoid the fee state and I 95 in VA (lots of construction).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom