• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    If you want to support your fellow Maryland 2A advocates, consider donating to MSI (http://marylandshallissue.org/) and/or Take Back Maryland PAC (http://takebackmd.org/). The way I frame it to friends and family is the cost of a box of ammo at the range is all it takes. Heck, get your out of state friends to support us. We won't forget you. And, if we can actually make a change, we'll invite you to a local range on your next trip through. :)

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Agree with everybody else. Unless there are places you really want to visit, take the scenic route through WV and don't give this state a dime. Make sure to write an email to some of our politicians explaining the detour and inform them you will give the same advice to all your friends. They sure as hell don't listen to us, maybe they'll listen to losing tourist revenue.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome. Feel free to stick around MDS. We have in depth discussions of National 2A issues , and of all aspects of the shooting sports, and many members from around the country , and even the world.

Yes , at the moment Md is on the front line of the 2A fight. Just as shooters from around the country support their brothers in places like Cali and Illionis , Md can use support from the larger 2A community.

As to your journey from NE Ohio :
    Option #1 - take Pa Turnpike to Breezewood Pa , south on I-70 . Unload and stow , cross border , take imeadate exit for US522 south. Aprox 2min later you will be in WV , and you can rearm . Follow 522 soth to Winchester Va , and from their you can head to DC Beltway , and take usual route to Va Beach. Little out of your way , and depending on traffic could be quicker.

Option #2 - Near Pittsburg take I-79 south thru WV to I-64 East , and then I-64 goes directly to Tidewater Va area. Longer , but very senic.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    :sad20:
    Hello to all, and thanks for the automated welcome... much appreciated.

My wife and family are planning a trip from Ohio to Virginia Beach. Since our Mapquest directions are taking us through the great State of Maryland, I'm doing some homework regarding the what, whos, hows and whys of my EDC.

I found some info on handguns.us and saw that Maryland seemed a bit "strict" regarding the cans and can't of CC, so I looked deeper and found this site.

After browsing through some topics here in the forums, I've come to one conclusion...

WTF!!!

I cant believe the things you are all going through to obtain a license. My money says your elected officials and their respective families are well protected from the very same criminals that all of you law abiding constituents are wary of. My honest heart felt prayers are with you all.

As far as my travel route goes, it looks as if I'll be needing to pull over before hitting the state line, removing the Kimber and stowing it in a locked container that will be on the roof of the vehicle, unloaded (and seperate from the ((unloaded??)) magazine?)... then repeated in reverse once in the free state of Virginia. A reply to the validity of the above method is highly appreciated:)

I thought all of this to be a pain and nonsense until I learned of your plight. It makes my little venture to the back of my vehicle on the side of the road a mere hiccup.

Why, being under the same umbrella of the 2A, you and I have such different 'rules' regarding our liberty?

I may not be a taxpayer in your state, but I have to abide by the same laws on the books as you while I'm there, making me an interested party. Unfortunatly, my family and I will NOT be stopping in your fair state as I'll be gassing up in the free state of PA and driving right through MD, not contributing a nickel to your states economy. There are over 300,000 fellow Ohioans with a CC license that feel the same way, and thats just OHIO.

Until the MD legislature steps into the 21st century and aknowleges my worth as a law abiding human being, MD will never be considered to be in the running for any vacation destination either. In fact there is still a chance of driving around your state all together.

In reading back the above text before closing, I hope that I did not come off as rude or berating you, my fellow citizens. Any distain is to be directed directly to your elected officials be they red or blue.... No mater their politics it is obvious to me that they are simply wrong and its you the taxpayers are paying with their lives. Literally with your lives.

Again, my prayers and thoughts are with you all. Anything else I can do, let me know... if it is within my power I'll do it. Good luck to all...

Feel free to forward this to the elected official of your choosing and let them know how the neighbors feel...
    Welcome to our site. Welcome (even briefly) to our plight.

You're correct about us having strict transport and carriage rules for firearms.

They just passed a new amendment that you might be interested in. It goes into effect on the Fourth of July. Now, the trunk in a lock box is no longer an acceptable alternative. The new rule involves purchase of a trailer if you want to transport in or through the state of Maryland. The trailer must be enclosed with doors that can be double locked. The gun must, as before, be unloaded and locked in a separate (approved only by MSP) container inside the trailer. Also the doors of the trailer must be at least 17 feet behind the doors of your towing vehicle. You are compelled under the new law to travel only in the right travel lane and may not have any more than four male passengers in your vehicle when your gun is in the lock box, in the trailer. Any ammunition shall be locked in your trunk or, as delineated in the new SUV CLAUSE, "can be in a separate travel container attached to the roof of the vehicle...only with prior written consent" from the new Office of Firearm Safety and Citizen Control. To be fair, you might want to check back just a few days ahead of your trip as they have struggled with the naming conventions of the new office and that is, according to them, still subject to change up until the first of October. There was one other thing I think might be important to you. People traveling through Maryland are also subject to the new Calber Conversion and Reciprocity tables as annotated in the accompanying legislative addendum. Bottom line in your case (from what I can recollect), is that you, being from Ohio, are limited to weapons or ammo of less that .40 caliber. Seems contiguous states are allowed .40 caliber and above. If you are a resident of a state that is "two states away from Maryland" you are allowed up to, but not including .40 caliber. For those states that are three, or more, states away from Maryland, they "may not transport any weapon in excess of .25 caliber".

:sad20:

Yeah, I know, not what you'd hoped for but given your capacity for empathy, perhaps you can put yourself in our shoes for at least as long as it takes to drive across "America in miniature". We appreciate your continued support of our plight. When the refugee caravans finally start to leave Marylandistan, I can only hope that you and your fellow Ohioans will make room for us as we flee from the oppression of His Royal Majesty, King Martin.

Yours in liberty...(that's apparently one of the new key words in NSA's search engine btw--they've determined some mathematic, not political, relationship between the word "liberty" and folks who have potential to be domestic terrorists), nnztg8r.

Travel safe (and don't eat Virginia's crab cakes....yuk).

W.Coyote

MDS Supporter
    May 30, 2013
    Kingsville (Hazzard County)
    Welcome. Feel free to stick around MDS. We have in depth discussions of National 2A issues , and of all aspects of the shooting sports, and many members from around the country , and even the world.

Yes , at the moment Md is on the front line of the 2A fight. Just as shooters from around the country support their brothers in places like Cali and Illionis , Md can use support from the larger 2A community.

Option #1 - take Pa Turnpike to Breezewood Pa , south on I-70 . Unload and stow , cross border , take imeadate exit for US522 south. Aprox 2min later you will be in WV , and you can rearm . Follow 522 soth to Winchester Va , and from their you can head to DC Beltway , and take usual route to Va Beach. Little out of your way , and depending on traffic could be quicker.

Option #2 - Near Pittsburg take I-79 south thru WV to I-64 East , and then I-64 goes directly to Tidewater Va area. Longer , but very senic.

Highly recommend Option #2. WV is a lot more of a scenic drive, you bybass the cesspool of Balt/Wash and you avoid the smell created by Annapolis.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Unless you are driving the vehicle below I would stay away from the butthole of the state...Baltimore City:

On a serious note, have a safe trip!

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    Number 2 with out a doubt. A beautiful trip.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    Welcome to the Peoples Democratic Republic of Maryland (PDRM) where you leave the US Constitution at the state line. I hope you have a safe trip.

mdbayboater

Nubie
    Jul 16, 2011
    Lake Shore, Maryland
    Great intro. Just FYI the best way to enter Maryland from a neighboring state is for you to climb onto the roof of your car, with your pants around your ankles. Have your wife SLOWLY back the car into Maryland, in reverse, so that the powers that be can make sure they know exactly what you may or may not be hiding.

You'll go through the same thing on the way out, but they'll pull it from your pockets that time.

The above quote is pretty accurate...but he forgot to also add that the pants around the ankles also facilitates the constant F***ing you will recieve in every way imaginable by "our elected officials"! By the time you make your trip OweMalley will have passed his Breath Tax where you must pay for the clean and pure air you breath while in here in the People Democratic Republic of Maryland!

RavensChick

Gun Loving Bitch
    Welcome and thanks for your sympathies, gaptrick.

Maryland itself is, for the most part, a beautiful state. Mountains and beaches within 3 hours of each other. The people are a friendly, hard-working bunch (again, for the most part).

It's the politics and tax burden in this state that make it ugly.

So, I agree, skip it and don't give the MD Political Machine any of your money. Instead, donate to MSI (MD Shall Issue) and help us in our fight to win back our 2A rights.

Safe travels.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    If you're going to avoid Maryland, I'd REALLY avoid D.C. and New Jersey. New Jersey doesn't honor safe transport laws.

If you are traveling inter-state through NJ, they have no choice but to follow Federal safe transport laws--been there--had that experience on the pike.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    If you are traveling inter-state through NJ, they have no choice but to follow Federal safe transport laws--been there--had that experience on the pike.

As I understand it, FOPA-compliant transport is an affirmative defense for use at trial, not an automatic "let me go on my way right now because I'm following FOPA" card.

States like MD, NY, CA, and NJ can still make your life miserable (arrest + charges + never see your item again) even though you followed the FOPA rules for transport and even though you will eventually prevail at trial.

If you're transporting to some other final destination, I would not enter into in any 2A-hostile state if it can be avoided. I would definitely include MD in the list of states to avoid.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    As I understand it, FOPA-compliant transport is an affirmative defense for use at trial, not an automatic "let me go on my way right now because I'm following FOPA" card.

States like MD, NY, CA, and NJ can still make your life miserable (arrest + charges + never see your item again) even though you followed the FOPA rules for transport and even though you will eventually prevail at trial.

^
    This.

You might beat the rap, but you won't avoid the ride.

Drive through jersey with some hollow points, declare FOPA, and see how it goes. (or save yourself a lot of pain and google "Dustin Reininger". Think you'll just deny them to search? They'll search any way and then add the charge of "hindering an investigation".)

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG

Obviously my experience in NJ was different... If it happened to me as you say, my retirement income would be increased greatly as a result of the lawsuit. FOPA is law, (preemptive of state law in this case), not an affirmative defense. My wife is from NH and I hunt and shoot there a lot. I can’t avoid, for the most part, a combination of traveling through NJ, NY, CN, and MA---all with draconian anti 2A laws. As long as my guns are cased, unloaded, ammunition stored separately, and guns not within reach of myself or passengers I’m good to go---I refuse to be a *****.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    ^
    This.

You might beat the rap, but you won't avoid the ride.

Drive through jersey with some hollow points, declare FOPA, and see how it goes. (or save yourself a lot of pain and google "Dustin Reininger". Think you'll just deny them to search? They'll search any way and then add the charge of "hindering an investigation".)

See post#38...

gaptrick

Jun 18, 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    Well thanks to all for the replys... Some pretty funny, others very sad because of the reality of it all.

A little history 101 on me... I'm 55 and relitivly new to firearms. Wasn't exposed to them as a kid in my suburban neighborhood so never really gave them much of a thought.

Then, in 2007, two kids who worked for a hospital system here (Cleveland Clinic or University... not sure now...) were cutting through a city park in downtown Cleveland headed to their cars after a coworkers b-day party at a local pub. There, two thugs robbed them at gunpoint, had them kneel and shot both in the back of their heads. One actually survived and is doing very well while the other died on the spot. This is the story that prompted me to join what was left of the human race and get protection for me and the family.

I didn't know of Ohio's struggles in finally getting SHALL issue status in 2004 as I didn't get in the game until 2008. I've learned alot about it though being a member of our home state organization Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    ( http://www.ohioccwforums.org/ ) Now I don't go anywhere without carrying.

I think of those 2 kids again while looking into Marylands issues and just can not for the life of me see where the anti's are coming from and how they can sit there and say these two boys are better dead than given the chance to grow, father children and live an honorable life, because by God almighty, this is what they're saying loud and clear.

You would think that the actual stats from all the other shall issue states would overwhelmingly tip the scales to the side of "allowing" the God given right of self preservation (as if man has the power to grant or deny this...). Can't they see that they're jacking with the good guys while the bad guys don't feel a pinch?

Luckily for the Marylanders though that like in NY and IL, crime only happens in the home and never on the stree or any public places... I'm sure the stats back that up.

Anyhow, I'll be dropping the cost of a box of .45 into the box marked MSI.org
    and thinking of you on my drive by (yes, skipping your state all together is the decision).

I wish all of you the very best and will be sticking my nose in here on occasion to see where you all stand. To be fair, Ohio has alot of misgivings in their gun laws and we are always striving to make the changes in them to favor the law abiding community. My hope and prayers are that you catch up to Ohio's weak attempt at firearm liberty.

And in signing off, there was one reply, the first maybe (mods may have deleted...?), Asking my about my "EDC" that I mentioned in my post. He said he knew what The E-D was... Erectile Dysfunction., but didn't know the C...

EDC is "Every Day Carry" piece. Now as far as my erectile dysfunction goes, thats a post for another time...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom