• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    This AM shooting my WIN brass reloads; 5.5 Grs of WSF, COL 1.169, CCI #500, had an explosion. Note attached pictures. Of course it resulted in a few minor burns to both hands. I don’t keep count of the # of times the brass was reloaded. During reloading, every so many rounds I will check a few with a Wilson Pistol Gage.

Any idea on what might have caused the issue..

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpeg
      IMG_0480.jpeg
      568.8 KB · Views: 129
    • IMG_0479.jpeg
      IMG_0479.jpeg
      665.8 KB · Views: 134
    • IMG_0478.jpeg
      IMG_0478.jpeg
      537.7 KB · Views: 134
    • IMG_2871.jpeg
      IMG_2871.jpeg
      441.7 KB · Views: 101
    • IMG_0481.jpeg
      IMG_0481.jpeg
      253.5 KB · Views: 99
    This AM shooting my WIN brass reloads; 5.5 Grs of WSF, COL 1.169, CCI #500, had an explosion. Note attached pictures. Of course it resulted in a few minor burns to both hands. I don’t keep count of the # of times the brass was reloaded. During reloading, every so many rounds I will check a few with a Wilson Pistol Gage.

Any idea on what might have caused the issue..
    Unsupported Glock chamber perhaps?

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    Dam glad your ok , possibly bullet setback during chambering of round . Or a little heavier than the 5.5 dropped, I'm not sure if a double charge of that powder would fit in a 9mm case as I have never used it.

I know them little casing aren't to forgiving I had one pop like that a few years ago when I first started loading cast in 9 mm because my crimp wasn't enough to prevent setback

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Check your crimp. The projectile could slip further into the case after multiple chamberings if that might have occurred, coupled with the unsupported chamber as Squaregrouper mentioned.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Corroded brass, maybe on the inside. I've had old factory ammo do that in rifles a few times in the same area of the case. A tiny spot of green verdigris would rupture into a hole.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Out of battery detonation. I had this happen to me with a factory 9mm round. The chamber was a little sticky and the bolt wasn't fully closed on a PCC. It blew the powder out of the hole it made that looked just like that. The bullet didn't leave the barrel but was easily pushed out. I polished and cleaned the feed ramp and it's been fine. Startled me for sure.

What were you shooting? More info is needed.

Here is mine.
    IMG_1205.JPG

Last edited:

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    about 15 years ago, two separate squibs, threw the rest out...

Attachments

• 9mm brass blowout small.jpg
      9mm brass blowout small.jpg
      397.5 KB · Views: 36

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Out of battery detonation. I had this happen to me with a factory 9mm round. The chamber was a little sticky and the bolt wasn't fully closed on a PCC. It blew the powder out of the hole it made that looked just like that. The bullet didn't leave the barrel but was easily pushed out. I polished and cleaned the feed ramp and it's been fine. Startled me for sure.

What were you shooting? More info is needed.

Here is mine.
    View attachment 465222
    Gen 3 G34

For sure startled. Checked frame, everything looks okay. Bullet did leave barrel…

Shot two more mags…

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Curious to know what the primer strike looks like and how far OOB this gun has to be to lock the firing pin.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Curious to know what the primer strike looks like and how far OOB this gun has to be to lock the firing pin.
    With Glocks it's almost impossible to have OOB detonation. Once the slide moves about 3/32" it won't fire. May have been a high pressure situation with weak brass after the barrel unlocked?

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Check your other reloaded cases for the 'smile'. A weakened case might fill into the unsupported chamber mouth more than a new factory case and show the shape of that area that is just above the feed ramp. I think I've heard it called a smile. (if this is what might be going on or related)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I got that beat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3