• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Catastrophic failure:

I was at the range this morning and this happened. I had experienced a squib round(no powder) where the primer pushed the 9mm bullet into the rifling. Hearing just a puff sound, I knew to stop, wait, drop the mag and eject the expected empty case. I made the gun safe and pulled the slide. I removed the barrel and cleared the dead bullet. I ran a dry patch through the barrel and began shooting again.

What I hadn't thought of, since I reload on a progressive press, if there is a squib, there is likely to be a double load. Well, five rounds later, I found it! BLAMMO!

I'm just glad there was no one else nearby to catch the flying gun parts. And yes, it did hurt like hell, but a change in underpants was not required. A couple of fellow shooters on our other pistol range helped clean and bandage me up. :)

The Trijicon and the Olight both still work!

I can now check the box that asks; Have you ever had a handgun blow up in my hands?

Kaboom1.jpg

The gold shiny thing at 10 o,clock from the trigger is a fragment of the case. My trigger finger caught that.

kaboom2.jpg

kaboom3.jpg

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    WOW! IIRC you load on a Dillon 550. Knock on wood, to date I've not encountered either a squib or a double load.

I'm glad that the only thing damaged was the pistol and that you're ok.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    courious , how could you avoid this ? weigh every round after loading ? always looking to learn , glad you're okay , thanks , dan

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What powder?
    4g Tite Group(in this case, that would be 8g)

As soon as I got home, I tried to double load a cartridge(with a spent primer in it) and even though the case was nearly filled, it compressed right down when I seated the bullet.

I'm going to change my system a bit now. This was a first double load out of tens of thousands of rounds.

I did suffer a squib 300 Blk sub once with no harm done.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Holy crap! I'm glad you're ok. I'm the guy you were talking to at the rifle range before you went over to the pistol range. I just realized this was you because I put two and two together: I bought an old rusty Remington 700 from you a couple of years ago. When I was talking to you today, I wasn't sure that was you so I didn't say anything, but this confirms it because I recognize your profile here. I was right nearby and I had no idea! Glad you walked away.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Titegroup was my guess. One way to help avoid this is to use something like Unique. Alliant has 6.3 gr as the max for a 115 gr 9x19 load, which is at least clean to the top of the case. No possibly way you could double charge with Alliant Unique unless you took a wooden dowel or similar and packed the powder in before charging again.

I had a squib with a 9mm round I loaded on an XL750 (Happened at an AGC Falling Steel match)
    Every bullet loaded on a progressive since has been done standing up with an LED pointed into the brass before manually seating a bullet. Can I tell if a charge is slightly off? Nope. Can I see if something is obviously wrong? Hopefully.
    ETA- To clarify, the squib happened with a Dillon powder cop/powder checker in place. My eyes are now the powder checker.

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Glad you are okay and sorry your gun is destroyed.

How does two charges get deposited in one case on a progessive press? How does it miss one and hold it for another? Now I'll never move past a single stage press. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom