• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    So no ar for deer hunting in pa? I wonder if that’s the only place? I’ll need to do some checking. I was going to build a lower and buy completed uppers for the 350 and 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily true. It says no semi auto in PA. I'm always getting targeted ads for some company that makes parts to convert to single shot that has been approved by fish and game.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You will need a shotgun for turkey and most small game. Get a pump or semi-auto with interchangeable chokes in order to pursue a variety of game. You can also get a rifled slug barrel for deer.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    I have a 50 Beowulf that I have successfully hunted with...in the thick stuff where I'm only shooting 75-100yds max. Everything else for me is a .308 (my favorite round). The 450 is more versatile, has more power over the 50. I hunt eastern shore.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Do yourself a favor, If you are just now getting into hunting (Deer hunting), forget the AR idea and get a bolt or single shot in one of those calibers.
    A semi auto will only make a "New Hunter" into a "really bad new hunter"

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Not necessarily true. It says no semi auto in PA. I'm always getting targeted ads for some company that makes parts to convert to single shot that has been approved by fish and game.
    So could you just install a gas block (sans gas tube) at 90 degree angle to block the hole and have a "bolt" action? Or add a magazine sled if you want a single shot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    and decided on 450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend or 50 Beowulf. Now since I’ve gotten that ar itch, I’m going to buy all 3 uppers eventually. I just want to which I should get to start hunting with for my first few seasons? I’m leaning towards that freight train 50 Beowulf.

Enthusiasm is Good! And simply because you Want a caliber is a plenty good reason . But that said , let's look at 3 packs of hunting oriented AR-15 calibers :

Calibers that start with " 5 " are cool . Heck my occasionally mentioned Shooting & Hunting Partner #2 has a Beowulf upper . And had a .50AE upper before there was a Beowulf . But how badly do you have a .50 Cal fetish ? If you do , cool . But If the category is more generally ( big bore, heavy bullet ) , read on .

The near ballistic twins .450 Bushmaster and .458 SOCOM have an important difference, one is .452 , the other is .458 ( like grown up .45 rifles ) . The .450 you're looking at mere 250 gr bullets , .458 is 3- 500 gr ( similar weight and energy range and to the Beowulf ) . But same weight , similar velocities , the .458 dia bullet will have better penetration , and less rainbow trajectory .

.350 Legend is an almost .35 Remington , a good and worthwhile thing .

Meanwhile , if you choose between big heavy slow-ish .45 OR a big heavy slow-ish , with .350 as mid heavy , you've got room for something else . Get something mid bore , high(er) velocity , and flat- ish shooting .

Obvious most common is 6.5 Grendel . But if you want a 6.8 SPC , .277 , or a dozen wildcats , they would all check off the same box .

.300 probably got mentioned a lot in the time after a started this post , and completed it later . It's not bad for Bambi supersonic , and excellent if a suppressor is ever in your future .

Probably not mentioned - .400 Legend . The equivalent of a +P version of a .401 WSL in an AR platform . How cool is that ! Ok , it's a cool concept to me ,but I like obscure stuff .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I came across this and I’m confused with it saying Maryland as a state that doesn’t allow ar’s for hunting. I’m guessing they mean the normal caliber and not doing it with a 350 or 50 Beowulf upper attached to an ar lower ? https://www.wingtactical.com/blog/is-it-legal-to-hunt-with-an-ar15/

Just a quick glance , that chart & article is so error riddled , don't even bother to look .

Maryland - Requires 1200 ft lb , with at least some loads .223/ 5.56 will meet that .

Pennsylvania - A cpl years ago , the Legislature pass a law to allow the Game Commission to create rules to allow semiautomatic rifles for hunting . But unless something just recently changed , the GC hasn't done so yet . .223 is legal , in other format rifles .

Va & WV - Semiauto rifles are legal . But minimum .23 caliber .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do yourself a favor, If you are just now getting into hunting (Deer hunting), forget the AR idea and get a bolt or single shot in one of those calibers.

Various states have hunting laws concerning magazine capacities . Maryland is 8 rounds .

But Slackdaddy brings up a point . For hunting , if you aren't capable and confident of making a good hit with first and probably only shot , don't take the shot .

I like bolts and single shots . But I realize the AR platform is extremely popular and versatile . And just because the gun has the capability to shoot a lot , quickly , the human being holding it is in control , and should use it as appropriate . ie only intending to make one shot hit , and rare to have more than two legitimate shots . Don't mag dump at a fast moving deer , or way over on the horizon hoping one will get lucky .

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Maryland - Requires 1200 ft lb , with at least some loads .223/ 5.56 will meet that .

You can only hunt in what, 4 counties? with a bottleneck cartridge.

Again, 350 shines, can hunt across the entire state of MD.

All the refuges I've been on this year and last, that previously only allowed shotgun, now allow straight wall cartridge.

Here's another thing... this year I did a deer management hunt program with AAC. Guess what, no evil black rifle "AR style" rifles allowed. I already use my Ruger American 350 legend bolt gun since I hunt suppressed, but that was even more reason for me to be happy my investment in a 350 bolt gun.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    There are 11 counties that allow bottleneck cartridges.

Attachments

• IMG_6178.png
      IMG_6178.png
      405.9 KB · Views: 34

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Enthusiasm is Good! And simply because you Want a caliber is a plenty good reason . But that said , let's look at 3 packs of hunting oriented AR-15 calibers :

Calibers that start with " 5 " are cool . Heck my occasionally mentioned Shooting & Hunting Partner #2 has a Beowulf upper . And had a .50AE upper before there was a Beowulf . But how badly do you have a .50 Cal fetish ? If you do , cool . But If the category is more generally ( big bore, heavy bullet ) , read on .

The near ballistic twins .450 Bushmaster and .458 SOCOM have an important difference, one is .452 , the other is .458 ( like grown up .45 rifles ) . The .450 you're looking at mere 250 gr bullets , .458 is 3- 500 gr ( similar weight and energy range and to the Beowulf ) . But same weight , similar velocities , the .458 dia bullet will have better penetration , and less rainbow trajectory .

.350 Legend is an almost .35 Remington , a good and worthwhile thing .

Meanwhile , if you choose between big heavy slow-ish .45 OR a big heavy slow-ish , with .350 as mid heavy , you've got room for something else . Get something mid bore , high(er) velocity , and flat- ish shooting .

Obvious most common is 6.5 Grendel . But if you want a 6.8 SPC , .277 , or a dozen wildcats , they would all check off the same box .

.300 probably got mentioned a lot in the time after a started this post , and completed it later . It's not bad for Bambi supersonic , and excellent if a suppressor is ever in your future .

Probably not mentioned - .400 Legend . The equivalent of a +P version of a .401 WSL in an AR platform . How cool is that ! Ok , it's a cool concept to me ,but I like obscure stuff .

Took in a lot of info there. I appreciate all the info and time that you took to give that info. It helped a lot.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Just a quick glance , that chart & article is so error riddled , don't even bother to look .

Pennsylvania - A cpl years ago , the Legislature pass a law to allow the Game Commission to create rules to allow semiautomatic rifles for hunting . But unless something just recently changed , the GC hasn't done so yet . .223 is legal , in other format rifles .

Va & WV - Semiauto rifles are legal . But minimum .23 caliber .

That’s what I kinda of figured with a lot of friends who live in Va hunting with AR’s.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Various states have hunting laws concerning magazine capacities . Maryland is 8 rounds .

But Slackdaddy brings up a point . For hunting , if you aren't capable and confident of making a good hit with first and probably only shot , don't take the shot .

I like bolts and single shots . But I realize the AR platform is extremely popular and versatile . And just because the gun has the capability to shoot a lot , quickly , the human being holding it is in control , and should use it as appropriate . ie only intending to make one shot hit , and rare to have more than two legitimate shots . Don't mag dump at a fast moving deer , or way over on the horizon hoping one will get lucky .

Right, that’s how shooting should be regardless of your hunting or target shooting. I believe in 1 shot 1 kill, not shoot damn I missed let me dump the mag. I get what was said about a single shot though.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    ARs in 350 legend suck. Half of them won't feed right anyway, so you might as well just buy a bolt action. I bet the older style Ruger American is going to be cheap right now as they announced version 2.0. Buy that and a Remington 870 and you can do everything on your list.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    ^^^^ This Right Here Is The Best Advise For A New Hunter.
    IMO, A 350 Legend bolt gun for whitetail.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    You will need a shotgun for turkey and most small game. Get a pump or semi-auto with interchangeable chokes in order to pursue a variety of game. You can also get a rifled slug barrel for deer.
    I read the whole thread for a change and OR58's is the best advice for the game animals and birds you mentioned MD state wide. This all assumes you are a new hunter and want 1 gun to do it all. 1 shotgun and 2 barrels in semi or pump format and you are good to go unless you really need to reach out over 150 yards. IF you plan to deer hunt in the western counties where all riffle cartridges are legal, you still need a 12G shotgun for the birds and small stuff anyway so why limit yourself to straight-walled AR type cartridges? 2 guns, I'd go w/ an economical 25-06 thru 300 win mag and all the goodies in between for long range up to bear capable cartridges out west and a SG in the east. You can buy a nice bolt action for the cost of an AR15 upper plus mags.

To really stir the pot, if deer is your primary game, go w/ a 50cal riffled barrel muzzle loader that many used instead of shotguns during firearms season due to their superior accuracy, (depending) and the 1 week+ longer hunting season! You should only need 1 shot for deer. YMMV

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Again, 350 shines, can hunt across the entire state of MD.

Here's another thing... this year I did a deer management hunt program with AAC. Guess what, no evil black rifle "AR style" rifles allowed. I already use my Ruger American 350 legend bolt gun since I hunt suppressed, but that was even more reason for me to be happy my investment in a 350 bolt gun.

Fair enough . Even if it's 11 not 4 , they're in WM and ES , not central or southern Maryland . But the OP did say that he would be going to other states also .

No arguments about the merits of the .350 .

Did I like and own a plethora of Straight Wall firearms before the change ? Yup.

Have I run out and acquired new SWC Rifles since the change ? Not yet , nor immeadate plans . ( Almost said SWC hunting firearms , but realized the recent 7.5 inch .44 Mag could be so classified .)

With my accurate bolt action 12ga not significantly limiting me , I'm more impressed with being able to use Pistol at home ( in the context of being in the country , with enough land ) . i just wish life would give me more opportunities to go hunting .

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Fair enough . Even if it's 11 not 4 , they're in WM and ES , not central or southern Maryland . But the OP did say that he would be going to other states also .

No arguments about the merits of the .350 .

Did I like and own a plethora of Straight Wall firearms before the change ? Yup.

Have I run out and acquired new SWC Rifles since the change ? Not yet , nor immeadate plans . ( Almost said SWC hunting firearms , but realized the recent 7.5 inch .44 Mag could be so classified .)

With my accurate bolt action 12ga not significantly limiting me , I'm more impressed with being able to use Pistol at home ( in the context of being in the country , with enough land ) . i just wish life would give me more opportunities to go hunting .
    Carroll County is still a rifle county (for now), but has been increasingly difficult to find land to hunt on over the past two decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom