• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I recently got my certification to get my hunting license, however even thought it’s something I’ve always wanted to get into I’ve never done it before. I need to get my license, but I also need to get my first hunting rifle. I’ve watched videos and decided on 450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend or 50 Beowulf. Now since I’ve gotten that ar itch, I’m going to buy all 3 uppers eventually. I just want to which I should get to start hunting with for my first few seasons? I’m leaning towards that freight train 50 Beowulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Might be helpful to let us know what your intended game might be.

Right my apologies. Deer, Furbearer (mostly Coyote, rabbit) turkey, and duck. Maybe some others, I also have some buddies out of state that hunt as well so I’d end up traveling with said caliber.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I was dropping a hint about long term availability. Some rounds fade into obscurity after much hype. Most of us don't want to be bothered by that. I think that the. 350 will stick around.

Another point is that some of the game that you mentioned is shotgun only.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I was dropping a hint about long term availability. Some rounds fade into obscurity after much hype. Most of us don't want to be bothered by that. I think that the. 350 will stick around.

Another point is that some of the game that you mentioned is shotgun only.

Yea I’m planning to get a shotgun for those sometime, but I do believe 350 will be around for a bit but I also think and hope the 50 will as well.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    350 without a doubt.

Multiple AR or bolt gun options.

You can use a 9mm can to suppress it.

You can buy ammo at WalMart and tons of other places, always in stock, tons of different loads available.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    350 without a doubt.

Multiple AR or bolt gun options.

You can use a 9mm can to suppress it.

You can buy ammo at WalMart and tons of other places, always in stock, tons of different loads available.
    This. Not sure if still the case, but if you’re going to hunt deer in Pa. you can’t use a semi auto. Get 350 specific mags ie, CMMG for a AR, regular 5.56 mags cause feeding issues.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    This. Not sure if still the case, but if you’re going to hunt deer in Pa. you can’t use a semi auto. Get 350 specific mags ie, CMMG for a AR, regular 5.56 mags cause feeding issues.

So no ar for deer hunting in pa? I wonder if that’s the only place? I’ll need to do some checking. I was going to build a lower and buy completed uppers for the 350 and 50.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park

I came across this and I’m confused with it saying Maryland as a state that doesn’t allow ar’s for hunting. I’m guessing they mean the normal caliber and not doing it with a 350 or 50 Beowulf upper attached to an ar lower ? https://www.wingtactical.com/blog/is-it-legal-to-hunt-with-an-ar15/

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I recently got my certification to get my hunting license, however even thought it’s something I’ve always wanted to get into I’ve never done it before. I need to get my license, but I also need to get my first hunting rifle. I’ve watched videos and decided on 450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend or 50 Beowulf. Now since I’ve gotten that ar itch, I’m going to buy all 3 uppers eventually. I just want to which I should get to start hunting with for my first few seasons? I’m leaning towards that freight train 50 Beowulf.

Here are some comparisons between all 3 rounds.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Here are some comparisons between all 3 rounds.

I hate when at the end they say it’s hard to go wrong with either option lol. Overall the 450 looks like the better bang . I figured with what I saw on YT and the caliber size it would have been easy to think the 50 would hold that packing power at range. Guess I need to look more into the 450.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    350L or 450BM should be fine. But I wouldn't bet on 50 Beo being around long term.

Only seen 50 Beo ammo once in my LGS. Currently on ammoseek, only ammo from secondary manufacturers (e.g. Alexander Arms and Underwood) is available. Brass for 12.7x42 (50 Beo) is also hard to find.

I have both 350L and 450BM ARs. 450BM is popular in the midwest since they were "straightwall allowed" long before MD was and before 350L was invented.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I have a few 350s and I love them. I don’t see the 350 round disappearing any time soon just because every state that allows straight-wall cartridge has a huge following of 350 (because it was the first to the market).

You did forget the 360 Buckhammer, which was released this year. I don’t see it sticking around, but you can make your own brass by using a 30-30 case - the 350 has no parent, so you can’t make your own brass. This only matters if you reload though.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I have a few 350s and I love them. I don’t see the 350 round disappearing any time soon just because every state that allows straight-wall cartridge has a huge following of 350 (because it was the first to the market).

You did forget the 360 Buckhammer, which was released this year. I don’t see it sticking around, but you can make your own brass by using a 30-30 case - the 350 has no parent, so you can’t make your own brass. This only matters if you reload though.

I don’t mind building my platform but I don’t think I’m that comfortable with making brass lol. Think I’d rather just stockpile lol.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    So it looks like the major winner is either 350L or 450BM. I guess I’ll dive more into those 2 calibers. Only thing now is figuring 16 or 18” for my barrel length and how they perform with them.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I hate when at the end they say it’s hard to go wrong with either option lol. Overall the 450 looks like the better bang . I figured with what I saw on YT and the caliber size it would have been easy to think the 50 would hold that packing power at range. Guess I need to look more into the 450.

3 years ago, I was looking at the same rounds. I was able to try all 3 of them and was still undecided. I went to a bud's house as he just bought a new S&W revolver, he would not tell me the caliber. When I showed up it was a .500 S&W magnum with ported 8" barrel. Holly crap it was impressive and that changed my mind. I now own a revolver and carbine in .500.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I came across this and I’m confused with it saying Maryland as a state that doesn’t allow ar’s for hunting. I’m guessing they mean the normal caliber and not doing it with a 350 or 50 Beowulf upper attached to an ar lower ? https://www.wingtactical.com/blog/is-it-legal-to-hunt-with-an-ar15/

Just bad info. You can use any semi auto as long as it meets energy requirements. 1200 fpe. Some 5.56 ammo will, most are very close to minimum, but you have to take into account actual barrel lengths used vs. manufacture’s numbers. Ie. you use a 16 inch 5.56 barrel but the manufacturer used a 24 inch barrel for velocity numbers. Burden of proof is going to be on you.
    350 recoils less and costs less than the 450, slightly more range too if that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom