• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Debating what I want to load up for home defense/self defense. No idea if I want something as frangible as a Barnes Varminator bullet or something like a Barnes TSX bullet.

What do you guys think would be a good idea? Even thought about alternating the bullet types in the mag, but that would be confusing as can be and they might not group well that way.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    Winchester PDX1 223 are relatively new and marketed for this application. See if that'll work for you.

I've read a few threads on here about this same issue and think Lord Chad had some good input. I'm on phone, so can't post direct link.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am concerned that a varmit bullet will not penetrate far enough to be effective against a 200 or so pound animal.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I plan to use Black Hills ammo with the 77gr Sierra Match Kings. Where You Can Buy It and Ballistic Information

Someone mentioned penetration concerns regarding the 55gr V-Max, which I believe is a valid concern. While I couldn't find the data for the 55 gr V-Max, the 55gr TAP only penetrates to 10" in bare gelatin. Most people recommend at least 12" of penetration for self defense purposes.

Here's a link to the ballistic tables for all of Hornady's offerings.
    http://www.hornadyle.com/assets/site/files/hornady_tap_report.pdf

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    But Match Kings are not designed to expand, it will penetrate like a FMJ.

A 55gr soft point would work better.

That particular load uses the Open Tip Match (which is a way of calling them hollow-points while still being legal for military use) SMKs. If you look at the link provided, you'll see that they expand and fragment quite nicely and produce a superior wound channel to FMJ.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I plan to use Black Hills ammo with the 77gr Sierra Match Kings. Where You Can Buy It and Ballistic Information

Someone mentioned penetration concerns regarding the 55gr V-Max, which I believe is a valid concern. While I couldn't find the data for the 55 gr V-Max, the 55gr TAP only penetrates to 10" in bare gelatin. Most people recommend at least 12" of penetration for self defense purposes.

Here's a link to the ballistic tables for all of Hornady's offerings.
    http://www.hornadyle.com/assets/site/files/hornady_tap_report.pdf

That's interesting.
    I find it odd that Hornady would make a line specifically for LEO and that it not be optimal for home defense. I keep some mags loaded with the TAP and the PDX1.
    Frankly though, 30 rounds of just about anything will stop the threat.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    That's interesting.
    I find it odd that Hornady would make a line specifically for LEO and that it not be optimal for home defense. I keep some mags loaded with the TAP and the PDX1.
    Frankly though, 30 rounds of just about anything will stop the threat.

Well, when you're offering several different flavors of projectile for LEO/HD use, it's impossible for all of them to be optimal. If you're running an orphanage out of your home, the threat of over-penetration might be enough to warrant the use of 40- or 55-grain bullets. In my domicile, I feel comfortable using heavier bullets because it's just the wife, the dog, and me. And those "heavy" bullets still pose less of an over-penetration risk than handgun rounds or buckshot.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Debating what I want to load up for home defense/self defense. No idea if I want something as frangible as a Barnes Varminator bullet or something like a Barnes TSX bullet.

What do you guys think would be a good idea? Even thought about alternating the bullet types in the mag, but that would be confusing as can be and they might not group well that way.

How about just put some .223 of some kind in a mag and call it a day.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    That particular load uses the Open Tip Match (which is a way of calling them hollow-points while still being legal for military use) SMKs. If you look at the link provided, you'll see that they expand and fragment quite nicely and produce a superior wound channel to FMJ.

I did read your link, the ballistics are for a Nosler 77gr BTHP which is designed to expand. The midway link use a Sierra 77gr Match King totally different bullet that is not designed to expand.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I did read your link, the ballistics are for a Nosler 77gr BTHP which is designed to expand. The midway link use a Sierra 77gr Match King totally different bullet that is not designed to expand.

Sierra developed an identical bullet to the Nosler to win the government contract for the Mk262 cartridge.

From the Midway link: "Bullet Style: Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point"

You can actually see the hollow point in the picture.

EDIT: Upon further research, you are correct that the Nosler had improved terminal performance due to its thinner copper jacketing, which caused increased fragmentation. However, the Nosler is unavailable in a commerical load and the Sierra version has very similar terminal ballistics.

Last edited:

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Whatever you choose, PLEASE use factory ammo and not handloads.

There are 2 primary reasons for this:
    - regardless how good of a hand loader you are, factory ammo is simply more reliable. Especially when considering used vs new brass

- the legal implications if using hand loaded vs factory ammo can be huge, especially in this state.

Personally, I say choose a purpose made self defense/law enforcement round. Again, mainly due to legal issues.

For me, I prefer a pistol caliber carbine for inside the home. You get the control and recoil advantages of the AR/ rifle platform, larger cavity size of a pistol round, and less risk of over penetration. Outside, different story.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Whatever you choose, PLEASE use factory ammo and not handloads.

There are 2 primary reasons for this:
    - regardless how good of a hand loader you are, factory ammo is simply more reliable. Especially when considering used vs new brass

- the legal implications if using hand loaded vs factory ammo can be huge, especially in this state.

Personally, I say choose a purpose made self defense/law enforcement round. Again, mainly due to legal issues.

For me, I prefer a pistol caliber carbine for inside the home. You get the control and recoil advantages of the AR/ rifle platform, larger cavity size of a pistol round, and less risk of over penetration. Outside, different story.

This is because Home-Invaders and Burglars have Rights in this country damn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom