• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I vote for the Marlin 60 too, unless you want to customize it. It is a little bit cheaper than the 10/22, it is very accurate and I like the tube magazine. It also comes stock with the last shot bolt hold open, which the 10/22 doesn't have out-of-the-box. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 10/22 but I think the Marlin 60 is a marginally better value if you just plan to leave it alone and not customize it in any way. If you really want to have fun with a Marlin 60, put an optic on it. You will be shocked at what you can do with it even at 100 yards. In terms of value for money spent, it is probably the best firearm I own.

Almost impossible to successfully complete the Appleseed Rifleman program with a new short tube M 60, its hard enough with an older long tube 60.

Go with the Ruger 10/22 ... if you decide you like an M60 better after qualifying at Appleseed, the Ruger retains its value well enough to feel like you just rented it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I was looking at the new Ruger American rimfire last night at Continental Arms. Seems very nice. They had one in. 22lr and. 22 mag. Looks like the savage action and trigger but takes 10/22 mags. $299 each. It has a rimfire scope rail along with iron sights and is also drilled and tapped. Adjustable stock length also.

For a .22lr rifle, no matter what type/kind, here's my not-so-humble suggestions:

1. Ruger 10/22 for semi-auto. Period. More 'accessories' (aka/bells and whistles) available, than you can ever imagine.
    My first 10/22 cost me $99.00. I bought 2 of 'em, that day!

The next two are bolt-action rimfires -
    2. Remington 541-T or 541-S IF you can find either. (Your budget of $300.00 has just been busted, though!!)
    The Remington 541-T is my absolute favorite .22lr rifle!!

3. Ruger American rimfire. I am not, nor have I ever been a fan of the 22 WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire). Buy the .22lr version.
    I'm hearing/reading some really good stuff about this rifle.

The next two are leverguns.
    4. Marlin 39a. This is also one of the finest .22lr rifles you will ever shoulder.

5. Winchester 9422. A good friend of mine has one of these, and it is INCREDIBLY accurate and FUN to shoot!!!!!

ChrissyN

Apr 5, 2013
    Westminster, Maryland
    OP, there's no right or wrong decision if you're looking at quality manufacturers like Ruger, S&W, Savage, Browning, and CZ. Ruger 10/22 and S&W M&P15-22 are what most people are buying. There's no KBB equivalent for guns. You'll have to decide what form/features you like and what feels comfortable when shouldered.

For your $300 max budget, a perfect first semi-auto rifle is the Ruger 10/22, because it's priced right, the most popular rifle in the world, and aftermarket support is huge. Don't get hung up on all the different models, since you'll only find a small subset locally. Visit some local gun shops (not box stores) that have them in stock to see if you like any in particular. I've seen a lot of the pink carbines lately and they are very nice, if pink floats your boat.

sig pink floats my boat... baby pink and stripper pink do not :-p

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    For a .22lr rifle, no matter what type/kind, here's my not-so-humble suggestions:

The next two are leverguns.
    4. Marlin 39a. This is also one of the finest .22lr rifles you will ever shoulder.
    This is no BS. I am fortunate to have inherited a Marlin 39A "micro groove" manufactured in the mid-1950's from my father. Like new condition. A true tack shooter, even with the original Weaver 4x scope. Problem is you are not likely to find one anywhere near the OP's $300 limit. I see used ones going for more than new ones. New ones run around $625, w/out any optic. Rumor has it the old ones are better.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If you have kids an adjustable stock is invaluable. They are available for both but there are a ton of options for the 10-22. My next one will become a Thompson.

Attachments

• 10-22 pimped.jpg
      10-22 pimped.jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 87

Sirex