• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrissyN

Apr 5, 2013
    Westminster, Maryland
    Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a little 22 rifle for plinking and to possibly use for apple seed. I'm doing some research online but, well... I'm new at this. Other than the AR I built and the glock I bought... my other guns have all been "impulse" buys.... I like it, I touch it, I hold it, it is mine. Sometimes they just feel right.

With a 22 though, I think they will generally all be easy for me to handle. I want to get something under 300$ but that is actually a pretty wide range... I'm familiar with many of the brands but I know that some good brands have "less than stellar" guns on occasion.

Any thoughts, ideas? Any particular websites I can check out that goes over ratings? Like a Kelly blue book for guns?

I could ask my hubby about this but he is working while I am home with a sick boy so my mind is wandering... :rolleyes:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Marlin is a great value and accurate in stock form. The 10-22 is the pimpmaster chamelion champ. Tech sights are available for both which are worth it even if they cost as much as the Marlin.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Does the appleseed course of fire require or favor a semi-auto? If a bolt would do, Savage and CZ both make very fine bolt action rifles. Personally, I prefer the CZ for the old world looks and accuracy but have friends who swear by their Savage rifles and they are tack drivers.

If semi - can't go wrong with the ruger as there are plenty of accessories for them and plenty of aftermarket component manufacturers (Kidd, Volquartsen, Clark)

Good luck!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Does the appleseed course of fire require or favor a semi-auto?

It favors a detachable mag fed semi-auto. It's been completed succesfully with bolt guns and with Marlin 60's, but 10-22's, .22AR's and 795's seem to dominate. My 10-22 got me through, my 15-22 did not.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What was the problem with the 15-22?

I had mostly 25 round mags for it. Trying to use a 25 round mag, and a sling from the prone position was giving me fits. I'm sure that other folks with more time in the platform didn't suffer from the same issue but it just didn't work for me. During my first Appleseed I'd tried 25 round mags and had a similar issue. I switched to 10-round mags and never had another problem.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, there's no right or wrong decision if you're looking at quality manufacturers like Ruger, S&W, Savage, Browning, and CZ. Ruger 10/22 and S&W M&P15-22 are what most people are buying. There's no KBB equivalent for guns. You'll have to decide what form/features you like and what feels comfortable when shouldered.

For your $300 max budget, a perfect first semi-auto rifle is the Ruger 10/22, because it's priced right, the most popular rifle in the world, and aftermarket support is huge. Don't get hung up on all the different models, since you'll only find a small subset locally. Visit some local gun shops (not box stores) that have them in stock to see if you like any in particular. I've seen a lot of the pink carbines lately and they are very nice, if pink floats your boat.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Does the appleseed course of fire require or favor a semi-auto? If a bolt would do, Savage and CZ both make very fine bolt action rifles. Personally, I prefer the CZ for the old world looks and accuracy but have friends who swear by their Savage rifles and they are tack drivers.

If semi - can't go wrong with the ruger as there are plenty of accessories for them and plenty of aftermarket component manufacturers (Kidd, Volquartsen, Clark)

Good luck!

I'm going to second the CZ based on the level of quality compared to the others. My 455 lux is built like a tank with good Turkish walnut, the action has tight tolerances. You don't need to upgrade anything to make it accurate, it's great out of the box.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I vote for the Marlin 60 too, unless you want to customize it. It is a little bit cheaper than the 10/22, it is very accurate and I like the tube magazine. It also comes stock with the last shot bolt hold open, which the 10/22 doesn't have out-of-the-box. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 10/22 but I think the Marlin 60 is a marginally better value if you just plan to leave it alone and not customize it in any way. If you really want to have fun with a Marlin 60, put an optic on it. You will be shocked at what you can do with it even at 100 yards. In terms of value for money spent, it is probably the best firearm I own.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I was looking at the new Ruger American rimfire last night at Continental Arms. Seems very nice. They had one in. 22lr and. 22 mag. Looks like the savage action and trigger but takes 10/22 mags. $299 each. It has a rimfire scope rail along with iron sights and is also drilled and tapped. Adjustable stock length also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom