• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Thanks brother!

ee67fa4e3fe38b98e14ee7eab899edc1.jpg

It’s much easier to do on a slab frame though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That gas pedal stippling looks legit! What technique are you using to get the texture?

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    That gas pedal stippling looks legit! What technique are you using to get the texture?

Thanks!! So here is the truth! It’s a regular radio shack soldering iron I have had for a long time, little cheap-o nothing wild. Plain Jane solder tip as you would for electronic connections. Give it a wipe time to time (without burning yourself!) to keep your lines / presses smooth. A moderate pressure with a very hot tip. Don’t linger. Practice if you can. That was the third time I’d stippled a pistol. I think I did it in three sittings. Don’t rush. Take your time and have good ventilation. If you get fatigued, so to say, stop. You’re only going to sacrifice at that point.

Now for a more aggressive? Just dig it harder a little longer and wipe your tip less if at all. That’s what I’ve found. Trust your eyes and don’t go too deep or make a melt that’s too large. Some can be “erased” or smudged to a degree. It is plastic. Just carefully melt some of the high points in the area and pretend you’re giving that spot a “comb over”. Some members here may be able to tell you how to do that better than I.

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Last nights range trip went well. Last week was the first week I didn’t shoot this year. I caught a stomach bug at work Tuesday last week and it jacked up my range times. It cost me a couple mags to remember I was doing the things I didn’t want to. We got our groove back on the second 100 rounds of the evening. I’ve finally acclimated totally to shooting at an indoor range. I mainly have been an outdoor shooter and indoor ranges used to make me hurry without realizing. This membership deal is a sweet thing! $37 a month for as often as I want and as long as I want is a thing of beauty.

Hey, don’t forget to breathe! Yeah we all know we need to, but personally…it has only been the past three range trips that I feel my breathing is where it should be.

I’ve started doing some breathing exercises in my day to day routine. Getting used to breathing in a cadence, subconsciously, while “flowing” through my usual movements. My job gives me plenty of tasks to use this with. I breathe normally in for a count of six seconds and breathe out for the same. All the while I’m working with my hands, climbing ladders, etc. I have seen a couple improvements in my life in doing so. But amongst them, I’ve noticed a better shooting sequence.

- Brent

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks!! So here is the truth! It’s a regular radio shack soldering iron I have had for a long time, little cheap-o nothing wild. Plain Jane solder tip as you would for electronic connections. Give it a wipe time to time (without burning yourself!) to keep your lines / presses smooth. A moderate pressure with a very hot tip. Don’t linger. Practice if you can. That was the third time I’d stippled a pistol. I think I did it in three sittings. Don’t rush. Take your time and have good ventilation. If you get fatigued, so to say, stop. You’re only going to sacrifice at that point.

Now for a more aggressive? Just dig it harder a little longer and wipe your tip less if at all. That’s what I’ve found. Trust your eyes and don’t go too deep or make a melt that’s too large. Some can be “erased” or smudged to a degree. It is plastic. Just carefully melt some of the high points in the area and pretend you’re giving that spot a “comb over”. Some members here may be able to tell you how to do that better than I.

- Brent⁷

For a good aggressive stipple, one of my favorites is the 'sprinkle' patern. I do a large and a small sprinkle.

20221006_160117.jpg

20210116_205437.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Last nights range trip went well. Last week was the first week I didn’t shoot this year. I caught a stomach bug at work Tuesday last week and it jacked up my range times. It cost me a couple mags to remember I was doing the things I didn’t want to. We got our groove back on the second 100 rounds of the evening. I’ve finally acclimated totally to shooting at an indoor range. I mainly have been an outdoor shooter and indoor ranges used to make me hurry without realizing. This membership deal is a sweet thing! $37 a month for as often as I want and as long as I want is a thing of beauty.

Hey, don’t forget to breathe! Yeah we all know we need to, but personally…it has only been the past three range trips that I feel my breathing is where it should be.

I’ve started doing some breathing exercises in my day to day routine. Getting used to breathing in a cadence, subconsciously, while “flowing” through my usual movements. My job gives me plenty of tasks to use this with. I breathe normally in for a count of six seconds and breathe out for the same. All the while I’m working with my hands, climbing ladders, etc. I have seen a couple improvements in my life in doing so. But amongst them, I’ve noticed a better shooting sequence.

- Brent

If you are taking too much time aiming in, noticing you are holding your breath, it's time for you to come back to high ready and sight back in. Unless you are shooting controlled pairs working on sight picture alignment and trigger reset.

Get value with every shot. Most people load their mags all the way up and end up shooting too fast. Shooting fast makes you make bad shots. Bad shots frustrate, only making you shoot faster and throw out all the basics.
    No one just stands around with their arms out in front of them for the time it takes to shoot a whole mag. It gets worse when you are holding a pistol at the end of them. Take your time and press out and aim with each shot.

I always recommend loading mags with 1 or 2 rounds. Having to load each time slows you down by default.
    I always say shoot 15 rounds 1 at a time and not 1, 15 round mag, once. If that makes sense.

You cannot rush progression.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    If you are taking too much time aiming in, noticing you are holding your breath, it's time for you to come back to high ready and sight back in. Unless you are shooting controlled pairs working on sight picture alignment and trigger reset.

Get value with every shot. Most people load their mags all the way up and end up shooting too fast. Shooting fast makes you make bad shots. Bad shots frustrate, only making you shoot faster and throw out all the basics.
    No one just stands around with their arms out in front of them for the time it takes to shoot a whole mag. It gets worse when you are holding a pistol at the end of them. Take your time and press out and aim with each shot.

I always recommend loading mags with 1 or 2 rounds. Having to load each time slows you down by default.
    I always say shoot 15 rounds 1 at a time and not 1, 15 round mag, once. If that makes sense.

You cannot rush progression.

Yeah I am definitely on the same page as you. I load mags to five at the highest. I do plenty of single shots. You’re right though. It’s easy to get wrapped up in the “fun” of it. Very easy to get lost in an indoor range. More reload practice is a good thing!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    269d347a43b12426eeef1bb904e18124.jpg

February 14th is National Empty Range Day. Cheers to a wife that understands training happens regardless!

461c4a664fd6855c4fe1948778f42fe9.jpg

Not a bad show not a great show. 6 in the black instead of 7 (last time) on the torso. Now the head, I was more working on snap shooting that sucker from a low ready. Hence the 3" red circle to really draw my eye. Frankly, my 25 pop shots to the head might have been better than my practiced 25 to the gut. Oh well! Good range trip!

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

Welp! First match last night and I had a blast. Four courses of fire. I ate major ASS on two stages that were distance involved with no movement. The run’n’gun sequences were a hell of a lot of fun. Can’t wait for more! I exceeded expectations by neither getting DQ’d nor coming in last. Anyone who has thought they’d like to try, stop thinking. Anyone who thinks they’re not really ready, stop thinking too. Just go. It’s a ball. I don’t really know where I cut up in the actual list, and that’s unimportant at the moment. I’m just learning and having a great time. I suggest you do the same!!

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Hey! I just saw I placed second in my division!
    And first out of the newbies. Now overall finish? Middle bottom lol

And that was with blasting the teeth out of two friendlies and a bunch of procedurals. Ok, that’s fun!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey! I just saw I placed second in my division!
    And first out of the newbies. Now overall finish? Middle bottom lol

And that was with blasting the teeth out of two friendlies and a bunch of procedurals. Ok, that’s fun!

Sometimes, it is necessary to kill the hostages too. Lol

Looks like you were having fun. Stay safe!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hey, get your SPEED movie quotes right.

it is "shoot the hostage" not "kill".

Harry Temple's thigh approves
    I feel like it really depends on the hostage though, right? Like, what happens if Kadyrov takes Putin hostage with a gun to his head? Do you try to avoid shooting the hostage? Or do you just figure god will sort them out?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey, get your SPEED movie quotes right.

it is "shoot the hostage" not "kill".

Harry Temple's thigh approves
    Lol. Wasn't thinking of that. I have to admit, I've only seen the movie once back when it came out. It was too much like one of those runway train flicks.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Haha thanks you guys! I really was just there for fun and that’s going to continue to be mindset as I progress. The two teeth shots? Well it was a deal with an older experienced fella. I told him I’d rock the 21 yard head shot between hostages and he would too. Unfortunately mine didn’t work out but half of his did! Like I said. I could care less about placement at this juncture. But seeing that I did ok for my first time? No DQ? That’s victory to me!! This game is too much fun.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    5cebd8afec8860f57caaef04ff513253.jpg

Nothing wild and crazy.
    Three rounds a mag.
    Draw fire one to chest, holster, repeat. Draw one to the head, reload, holster. Draw two to the chest, holster. Draw one to the head, reload, holster. Repeat with as many mags as you have on your belt.

Target is a mix of 10 and 15 yards. Plenty of fun and plenty of improvement room!

- Brent

Edit to add - shoo woke up this morning…cracked two ribs at work last week. Sore morning! Training waits for no man!

Last edited:

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Howdy crew!

I devised a game that will cost you 100 trigger pulls and 4 targets.

6f95fa86d1e0d3f83afdb4a88e362053.jpg

3” Red Bulls or target of your choosing for 5 “sighters” prior to the first Rep

At 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards -
    Draw from the holster, fire two, reload, fire two.
    Record your time and “down” points a la IDPA (hence the target, eh?). This constitutes one rep.

Perform five reps at reach designated distance.

Mean out your Time and Down Points per designated distance. Then track your progress weekly, bi-weekly, however you choose.

Reckon I’ll call it, “The Humbler” for now.

First go in about in hour’s time.

- Brent

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I wanted to try some shooting without aiming at 7 yards. I didn't do any drawing but did work from low ready.

This was with the G43x (which I know I don't shoot wonderfully).

20230308_171847.jpg

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I wanted to try some shooting without aiming at 7 yards. I didn't do any drawing but did work from low ready.

This was with the G43x (which I know I don't shoot wonderfully).

View attachment 405155

Snap shooting has its place, but I typically relegate it to 3 yards and in. Even at five yards I’ll track my front sight to the target. At a distance of 21 feet (7y), I for sure want to be seeing my front sight. Like I said, it has its place.

From your low ready, and when you press out..do so slowly for a couple dry fires and start getting in the habit of catching that front sight early. Quicker and earlier as you go on. Bob Vogel is a speedy sumbeach, and he’ll catch that front sight nice and early. I’m no Vogel, but he had to start some place as well, yeah? Speed will come with proficiency!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom