• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I had my best ever crabbing outing on a creek off the lower Potomac last weekend. Every trap had a crab every run. I was in shock. I only ran 10 traps with chicken necks and spent time fishing too. I worked the falling tide at dawn and ended up with two dozen very nice crabs and the same number of white perch, which made for a delicious lunch for my family and me. I caught probably twice that number of legal size crabs, but culled out the smaller and lighter ones. Blood worms worked great for the perch, but I switched to a beatlespin lure once I ran out of them and did just as well. The best area was 6-8 feet and the water was 84 degrees. That area is really turned on right now. I'm heading back out this weekend with a few more traps and will use frozen perch heads as bait this time. Maybe I'll do even better!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I had my best ever crabbing outing on a creek off the lower Potomac last weekend. Every trap had a crab every run. I was in shock. I only ran 10 traps with chicken necks and spent time fishing too. I worked the falling tide at dawn and ended up with two dozen very nice crabs and the same number of white perch, which made for a delicious lunch for my family and me. I caught probably twice that number of legal size crabs, but culled out the smaller and lighter ones. Blood worms worked great for the perch, but I switched to a beatlespin lure once I ran out of them and did just as well. The best area was 6-8 feet and the water was 84 degrees. That area is really turned on right now. I'm heading back out this weekend with a few more traps and will use frozen perch heads as bait this time. Maybe I'll do even better!
    Hey I recognize that name from another site!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've been doing really well in Southern MD. Going to head down for another shot this weekend.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Ha! Yeah - I figured I might as well post my report on both outdoors forums I use! I'll be back out there on Friday afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom