• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Might need a hatchery or specific area of the bay for that which outlaws crabbing in those areas. Second you gotta stop the pollution from PA washing downstream.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Biggest problem is commerical crabbing, they are allowed to take females. If you go now to H-mart or Lotte all you see in crabs bins are females, frequently undesized.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    “Sooks“ are female crabs that have already reproduced, they only do that once in their lifetime. It is illegal to keep “sallys” which are females who have not reproduced or “sponge crabs“ that are carrying eggs.
    This is a myth. Females reproduce more than once. Females should be tossed back

6cylrider98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bmore Co
    No one wants to hear the No word so the bay will be fished out. Would be a good idea to have a no crabbing zone or 2 to but we all know people would just invade it just the same. I think the crabbers are stuck in a hard place between keeping their jobs, and kepping the crab population up. Yes a few yrs of no females would help, but the water needs to be fixed so they can spawn more and the spawn live. I think the last good yr for crabbing was 2012, then the flood over the dam washed all that crap in the bay ,hasnt got back since.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I heard someone paid $200 for 1/2 bushel steamed a couple weeks ago.

Every time I read the fishing report and it leads with catfish and snakeheads and wonder what the future holds. Instinctively I think catfish are affecting the crab population.

Besides having my business and family in maryland, I’ve always said I’d like to retire near the bay so I can fish, crab, and hunt waterfowl. With a one rockfish limit, a one goose limit, and crabs in jeopardy I might have to take up sailing.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    There are 2 issues with the crab population. First rockfish are now at record numbers in the bay they are eating crabs. When the rockfish population was low the crab population was high. Second they need to have a ban on female crabs. As for a complete ban on crabbing I’d be fine with a 2 or 3 year ban. It would hurt the local waterman but places selling crabs would not get hit hard as many of them import their crabs from the gulf anyway.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    “Sooks“ are female crabs that have already reproduced, they only do that once in their lifetime. It is illegal to keep “sallys” which are females who have not reproduced or “sponge crabs“ that are carrying eggs.
    this .

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    I heard someone paid $200 for 1/2 bushel steamed a couple weeks ago.

Every time I read the fishing report and it leads with catfish and snakeheads and wonder what the future holds. Instinctively I think catfish are affecting the crab population.

Besides having my business and family in maryland, I’ve always said I’d like to retire near the bay so I can fish, crab, and hunt waterfowl. With a one rockfish limit, a one goose limit, and crabs in jeopardy I might have to take up sailing.
    sailing? you will lose your man card , you need to burn dead dinosaurs !

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Apparently not this, entirely.

Others have noted that females bear young more than once; they only require impregnation once.

You're correct (actually, the post you quote has the issues I mention) that egg-bearers should not be harvested; seemingly, all females ought not to be taken.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Biggest problem is commerical crabbing, they are allowed to take females. If you go now to H-mart or Lotte all you see in crabs bins are females, frequently undesized.

There are multiple types of licenses (50, 300, 600 900 pots) and there happens to be one 50 pot that is male only.
    I know a couple people with licenses that are allowed to take females but they don't.
    One guy that does says, those go to the pickers to pick out the meat for crab cakes. He also said that its harder and harder to find pickers so sometimes he does not even take them. He mentioned one guy He saw spiking the females then throwing them back to let the others eat them.

I've been on a 50 pot license waiting list for 3 years. Hoping I'll get in by the time I"m 65 and fully retired
    Darn people sell the things which I think is just wrong so you have to buy one if you want it now.

I rarely do anything more than 2 pots slung to our bulkhead. 2 weeks ago we got 1/ dozen overnight using fish scraps. We save the fish scraps and freeze them. Then throw them in the pots if we think we'll eat crabs that weekend. Usually its only 2 of us that do eat them and never is it all that we eat at that sitting.

I toss back the females cause they are just not worth the effort.
    Crabing on the coast has been better this year than last.
    I know a couple that have trott lined this year and done well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom