Attachments

• 20170120_213154.jpg
      20170120_213154.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 208

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Anyone going out this weekend? I'll be in a shore blind on the Potomac in St. Mary's County on Friday and Saturday. The weather looks less than ideal for waterfowl hunting but you never know...

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Going to try on Kent Island on Saturday morning for ducks and may move into the fields for early afternoon. Not a lot of ducks in the creek anymore.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Shot a limit this morning. This is the first day goose hunting in MD I haven't been skunked. The goose this band was on was HUGE.

Attachments

• band.jpg
      band.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 169

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    ^ nice!
    I really want to shoot a banded bird

You really want to shoot the ones with two bands on them. Then, they send you a check too.

A buddy of mine that I have been hunting with for over a decade had never shot a banded bird. I killed one a couple of years ago while he and I were hunting and I gave him the band. How it went down was hilarious. He was in the blind as I was getting out to start packing up. I saw a group of birds get up and told him to stay in the blind. We started calling. The birds came right over the blind. He hit one, that I was unaware of because it was wounded and soared a ways without me seeing it. I dropped one like a rock. After I shot his wounded one, I went to get mine and saw the band. I told him I shot a banded bird and his response was, "How do you know you shot that one?" I am still laughing about it. He fired all three rounds before I did, the group passed over the blind, I picked out the bird closest to me, and I dropped it. Most of the time, I can tell when I connect. Anyway, it felt good to give him the band. He never did tell me where the bird was banded, which was the agreement. That, and that he take both birds home and process them because I had to leave the next morning for a funeral in Florida. Hopefully, having his first band broke his bad luck streak. My lanyard is pretty full, so bands are just taking up space elsewhere.

This achilles is really pissing me off, but my therapist said I am coming along a lot quicker than most people. Still not fast enough, if you ask me.

Good luck on getting that first banded bird pbharvey. Once you get the first one out of the way, they usually come a lot quicker. Has your son got a banded bird yet? Some of the geese around here are banded with $100 bands when they are chicks.

Attachments

• MdShooters129.jpg
      MdShooters129.jpg
      91.1 KB · Views: 164

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    A few years ago me and a friend were hunting in the early resident goose season.We had five geese come in and I shot two and he shot three.All five were banded and one of my friend's was double banded ,with a $50.00 reward band.Yes.....we hit the jackpot....lol.The next year one day we had a single come in and I shot another banded goose.Since then ........no more bands.Guess we are due....lol

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Buffies from today. There were 300-400 bluebill out there Wednesday that disappeared. This was my last day since I have to run a pistol match tomorrow.

That banded goose was my first ever band out of hundreds of birds. It was banded in NH in July 2014. Goose weighed 11.4 pounds.

Attachments

• buffies.jpg
      buffies.jpg
      130.4 KB · Views: 143

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Good luck on getting that first banded bird pbharvey. Once you get the first one out of the way, they usually come a lot quicker. Has your son got a banded bird yet? Some of the geese around here are banded with $100 bands when they are chicks.

Thanks and no he hasn't.
    He's killed probably 8 or 10 geese this year and a few dozen ducks.
    I really hate to see the season wrap up although the trout are being stocked now...

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Thanks and no he hasn't.
    I really hate to see the season wrap up although the trout are being stocked now...[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Great minds think alike. I mentioned trout fishing today while we were duck hunting. Went something like "Man I'm sad the season is coming to an end, but at least trout and yellow perch will be here soon!" I don't even mention fishing to my wife until hunting season has closed.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks and no he hasn't.
    I really hate to see the season wrap up although the trout are being stocked now...

There is always another season. For me it goes like this, hunting season, tax season, fishing/cycling/shooting season, hunting season..... Plenty to do.

Back in the day when I hunted a lot, I used to kill 100+ geese a year. Of course, hunting in Washington County and Frederick County where the limits were 5 or 8 a day at that time also helped pile up the bands. Most of the birds were from Canada. One came from Quebec. Had a goose that was banded from New York. Cannot remember where the money duck was banded at.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Since we are talking bands I shot this one Saturday. Banded in 2005 in Quebec. Came in on my side solo and I dropped him. I was hunting with two good buddies and put all three of our names on it to remember the Hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpg
      IMG_5012.jpg
      104.6 KB · Views: 136

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Since we are talking bands I shot this one Saturday. Banded in 2005 in Quebec. Came in on my side solo and I dropped him. I was hunting with two good buddies and put all three of our names on it to remember the Hunt.

Awesome. Think the oldest banded bird I ever shot was 13 years old. I was amazed that it lived that long, and that it was dumb enough to come into the decoys with all of that "wisdom". That is one reason they say that hunting snow geese can be tough. Lots of old birds in those flocks and they have seen 1,000's of spreads over the lifetimes.

Pretty cool of you to put your buddies' names on it too.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Awesome. Think the oldest banded bird I ever shot was 13 years old. I was amazed that it lived that long, and that it was dumb enough to come into the decoys with all of that "wisdom". That is one reason they say that hunting snow geese can be tough. Lots of old birds in those flocks and they have seen 1,000's of spreads over the lifetimes.

Pretty cool of you to put your buddies' names on it too.

Looked up the age of some waterfowl, I was blown away geese 30 years old and Ducks 25 +. Whatever we did that day this old bird liked it. Sad it didn't come in with friends.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    Had a pretty good season on the little pond, several mallards over the 2nd and 3rd splits, even a few geese.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
      IMG_0054.jpg
      197.4 KB · Views: 107
    • IMG_0052.jpg
      IMG_0052.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 109

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Junior waterfowl day, Lots of ducks, mature woodies, mallards, common mergansers, and geese. Even had a few gadwals and teal fly by. My daughter finally got her first duck, a real full color wood duck, and hes at the taxidermist now.

Attachments

• 0211171021c[1].jpg
      0211171021c[1].jpg
      108.6 KB · Views: 82
    • 0211170903[1].jpg
      0211170903[1].jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members