• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I know we have a few weeks til our season opens but these are some pics my friend from upstate NY has been sending me. Says they're crushing birds so far this season. He hunts every day of the season up there, or I'd say at least 90% of them. I'm going out for sea ducks Saturday if the wind isn't nuts.

Attachments

• duck.jpg
      duck.jpg
      130.2 KB · Views: 347
    • goose.jpg
      goose.jpg
      161.8 KB · Views: 354

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I know we have a few weeks til our season opens but these are some pics my friend from upstate NY has been sending me. Says they're crushing birds so far this season. He hunts every day of the season up there, or I'd say at least 90% of them. I'm going out for sea ducks Saturday if the wind isn't nuts.

Are you going with a guide service? Looking to set up a trip next year.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Sea ducks from Saturday. Had a guy run through our decoys while we were chasing a cripple but luckily he didn't hit anything. Somehow managed to thread the needle. Pretty good day and beautiful weather. Saw a ton of people out fishing and it must have been a slow day because most of them were still out there when we went in at noon.

Attachments

• sea ducks.jpg
      sea ducks.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 295

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Tough morning for us on the second split opening. Lots of ducks but way too high.

3:30 comes early

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      106 KB · Views: 272
    Last edited:

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Went out yesterday with my daughter. Pretty day not a good day for hunting. Had 4 mallards circle and 2 dropped in. We had a dozen woodies fly over as I was picking up the decoys and that was it. Very little shooting going on. Overall still a fun day.

Attachments

• 1119160937[1].jpg
      1119160937[1].jpg
      119.2 KB · Views: 247

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    We had a bust of a day yesterday. Zero wind, 60 degrees and sunny. Nothing flew all day. Friend of mine got into the buffies out in the bay but we were after geese. I'm going again Tuesday but a different field. Hoping for better luck.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Shot ten buffies this morning. Saw tons of ducks around 0630. This cold front really moved in a good amount of birds. Had some mallards try and commit right before we left but all we had out was divers and they peeled off. Gonna try and get into the geese and mallards tomorrow.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I hope to never shoot a bufflehead again.I shot three of em a few years back.Tried to eat them......definitely one of the nastiest thing I ever tasted.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Going to call the farmer tomorrow and see if the geese are landing at his pond yet but I will still be going the day after Christmas regardless.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Going out tomorrow morning. Looks like there is rain in the forecast early. Hopefully there won't be too much ice to break up. Anyone else going out tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Going out tomorrow morning. Looks like there is rain in the forecast early. Hopefully there won't be too much ice to break up. Anyone else going out tomorrow?

So how did it go? See anything and where were you??

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Didn't see one duck. I was out in Frederick near the monocacy river

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Didn't see one duck. I was out in Frederick near the monocacy river

I was out in Frederick last weekend for the Santa Train. Saw two groups of ducks flying along the Monocacy, about 15+ in each group. Saw about 200 geese feeding in a cut cornfield by the Monocacy. That was the morning that was a real mess weather wise with freezing rain, slush, etc. I've seen some migratory geese coming in here and there, but not very much compared to years past.

A buddy of mine that hunts an island on the Potomac has yet to kill a goose or a duck and he and his son hunt every weekend.

Other than seeing 500 geese a couple of weeks ago in a field I hunt, there really hasn't been that many birds around.

I guess that is my silver lining in the cloud since I cannot get out yet and hunt.

Good luck to you guys that are heading out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom