• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Oh My Goodness...

You have future as a Hunting & Shooting contributor to Field & Stream or Out Door Life Magazines. ...:rolleyes:

Hunted the field at my lease last night and had 30+ deer in the field, fourteen of which were bucks. There were a few nice ones but not the trophy I was looking for. About fifteen minutes before last shooting light a HUGE ten came into the field, he was high and wide with really big tines, a real trophy. He was about 200 yds. out and was not working his way any closer staying on the field edge. As I was losing light I took the shot with my scoped .308. When I fired he jumped up in the air and ran towards me stopping about seventy five yds. out presenting me with an easy second shot. I pulled the trigger and nothing happened as this idiot had not chambered another round and as I tried to do so he took off towards the wood line. My trophy was gone and so was my pride. I thought I might have hit him but I found no trace of blood and a long search of the woods where he entered turned up nothing. Also when he stopped and presented me with the easy second shot which this bonehead failed to execute I could see that there was no exit wound which I feel a .308 would certainly make. I've taken some nice bucks this season but this guy would have easily dwarfed them. Hope to see him tomorrow evening but I doubt I will, wish me luck.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Congrats on a great picture of an expanded bullet.... :innocent0 ;)
    33ad9f80b911392334e76e22bd6e3db5.jpg

Well the deer wasnt overly impressive, ha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Finally brought one in with me tonight. As frustrating as this year has been, it almost got even more so. After seeing a bunch of deer off in the distance and one little one up close, I had three decent size ones come in to me. I picked the biggest one, and squeezed off a shot when she was about 20 yards out. To my surprise she didnt go down. Bullet hit the shoulder and she ran across the deep ravine on my property. I was a bit shocked she was still standing and had to pop off a second shot. Went down right away. I seem to be putting all of my shots a little low this year. Normally never have an issue. I did manage to recover one of my slugs from her, cant imagine withstanding a hit from it.
    89d2ecb3f3c13b9298238efe75f4d562.jpg

My son took this buck yesterday afternoon. He was very happy after sitting out in the cold all day.

33ad9f80b911392334e76e22bd6e3db5.jpg

Well the deer wasnt overly impressive, ha

Congrats! And kudos to all who went out and braved the weather this weekend to try and get a deer!

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Well the streak continued. I didn't see a single deer all season in the afternoon/evening. I didn't go out this morning so this year was a bust. I always say I will bow hunt in January but almost never do. I'm sure this year will be the same as my to do list is about fourteen miles long.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well the streak continued. I didn't see a single deer all season in the afternoon/evening. I didn't go out this morning so this year was a bust. I always say I will bow hunt in January but almost never do. I'm sure this year will be the same as my to do list is about fourteen miles long.
    The To Do list can wait until February.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If you can, Look up McKenzie Taxidermy Supply on line. That's where I get all my materials and supplies. They have a lot of great options for mountings. I made up a little aluminum mounting bracket for skulls which I don't really use anymore(I don't have room for skulls on my walls anymore :o), I just pile my Euros on top of my fireplace. I'll try and get some pics up a little later.
    :thumbsup: also getting 40%peroxide and bleaching powder from Sally's beauty supply is cheaper than the Taxidermy places and they use the same product.

Merry xmas ya'll!

I left work an hour early today and was hoping to get a shot at least a medium size doe. Well sorry but blitzen won't be making it this year he got a little blitzed on a 250gr slug. :lol2:

Supposedly he was seen by at least 3 other hunters this year and I think I may have seen him in velvet in July during crop damage. This is #21 total for me this year, and buck #4....... so looks like I'm hunting does the rest of the year.
    NICE!! Congrats!

My two from this year. Ready to go on the wall in the baby's room.
    :thumbsup:

Nice racks Kstone! And great job cleaning them up for mounting. Could you share the procedure you used to bleach the skulls?
    I didnt quot Kstone but I do mine a little different but still comes out good results

1. remove skin, eyeballs, and large meat chunks from skull. Find a pot big enough to hold the skull.
    2. bring water to a boil and put skull in for 30-45 minutes, then remove any flesh that falls off
    3. add 1/4 washing soda (available most places that carry laundry detergent) per gallon of water into the pot, SIMMER skull for an additional hour. This does foam up and makes a mess but can be easily washed off if still wet. I just boil/simmer it on dirt so it just soaks into the ground. You may have to fill up the pot again with hot water but it works.

by this time most of the meat/tendon/cartilage disintegrates and is falling off. scrape off as much of the meat as possible scramble the brains and rinse out with garden hose. Pull out any big chunks with needle nose pliers.
    4. Keep simmering till all meat and cartilage is off the skull. rinse out skull with garden hose. make sure all the meat you can get to is removed.

5. For the skull bleaching I use 50/50 mix of 40% peroxide and bleaching powder mix. cover all the white parts you want bleached. It should be like a mayonnaise consistency. let sit 24hrs, then you can scrape off the powder mix. but I just rinse it off with the garden hose one last time and then its good.

When you mix the powder and peroxide make sure you have rubber gloves on and dont breathe the fumes because it is not good for you. and the peroxide will burn your skin.

6. let dry and spray with anti-bacterial clear coat.

you may have to touch up the antlers with some wood stain if the washing soda stuck to the antlers. scrape off any residue and give a light coating of golden oak wood stain. This worked on the last skull I did.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup: also getting 40%peroxide and bleaching powder from Sally's beauty supply is cheaper than the Taxidermy places and they use the same product.

NICE!! Congrats!

:thumbsup:

I didnt quot Kstone but I do mine a little different but still comes out good results

1. remove skin, eyeballs, and large meat chunks from skull. Find a pot big enough to hold the skull.
    2. bring water to a boil and put skull in for 30-45 minutes, then remove any flesh that falls off
    3. add 1/4 washing soda (available most places that carry laundry detergent) per gallon of water into the pot, SIMMER skull for an additional hour. This does foam up and makes a mess but can be easily washed off if still wet. I just boil/simmer it on dirt so it just soaks into the ground. You may have to fill up the pot again with hot water but it works.

by this time most of the meat/tendon/cartilage disintegrates and is falling off. scrape off as much of the meat as possible scramble the brains and rinse out with garden hose. Pull out any big chunks with needle nose pliers.
    4. Keep simmering till all meat and cartilage is off the skull. rinse out skull with garden hose. make sure all the meat you can get to is removed.

5. For the skull bleaching I use 50/50 mix of 40% peroxide and bleaching powder mix. cover all the white parts you want bleached. It should be like a mayonnaise consistency. let sit 24hrs, then you can scrape off the powder mix. but I just rinse it off with the garden hose one last time and then its good.

When you mix the powder and peroxide make sure you have rubber gloves on and dont breathe the fumes because it is not good for you. and the peroxide will burn your skin.

6. let dry and spray with anti-bacterial clear coat.

you may have to touch up the antlers with some wood stain if the washing soda stuck to the antlers. scrape off any residue and give a light coating of golden oak wood stain. This worked on the last skull I did.

A shortcut to boiling;

Soak in water for two weeks. Supposedly most of the flesh hoses right off with a light pressure washer stream. Soak again after hosing, following up with pressure washer with a very light stream again.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    A shortcut to boiling;

Soak in water for two weeks. Supposedly most of the flesh hoses right off with a light pressure washer stream. Soak again after hosing, following up with pressure washer with a very light stream again.

:thumbsup:Ive heard that too, just make sure it not near the house or wifey wont be too happy about a rotty/stinky skull in a bucket of water:lol2:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I just bury the skulls for ~6 months or so. It leaves them darker than boiling does, but I like the look, it is way easier, and you don't have to clean any disgusting pots.

Just skin the face, bury in the ground up to the antlers, and done. I have lots of squirrels around that would gnaw on the antlers, so I take one more step and cover it with a metal trashcan. Then, just before the next hunting season, I pull it out, rinse it off, and put it on the wall. It's also good for getting you in to the mood for the approaching season :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Another proven method is bury them in your compost pile all winter. By spring they will be clean as a whistle.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    A shortcut to boiling;

2 weeks maybe in July when it's 90+ every day. 2 weeks in 70 degrees is just stink with stuff still stuck to the skull. And yes it smells bad.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I've been thinking about doing a hog hunt. I can't remember where or who it was with, but my neighbor did one a few years ago I think in Georgia. He has the boars head over his fire place. If I remember right it was one of those where the more who go, the cheaper it is kind of guided hunts.

I might be up for that in a couple of years.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Tioga Ranch is top notch. This is the second time we have been and plan to go back again.

Their lodge is nice, clean and up to date, their staff is awesome and down to earth but you'll probably gain a few pounds from the 3 meals a day of the home cooking that uses game from their operation. We had elk, boar, buffalo and stag while we were there.

Its a great "guys trip" :thumbsup:

https://www.tiogaboarhunting.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom