• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Can you eat starlings ? I have 20 pictures of them.

Attachments

• WGI_0017.jpg
      WGI_0017.jpg
      165.7 KB · Views: 417

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I got three newer cameras and they don't make any noise at all. Just how old are yours?

the one that clicks is a moultrie A-5 its maybe 3 years old now. Dunno why but the first pic something inside clicks. Still takes good pics. The deer dont really get scared just curious like the one you got a pic of.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have pics like that too, plus sections of butts, sides, ears, fox or coon parts ( ears and fur), a coon standing on a salt block looking at the camera, and 2 foxes standing and looking at it.

Put my camera out Monday and will be back maybe next Monday or something. Put corn down there. Neighbor has corn with feeder and a camera or 2 and not too far away LOL. I am sure he did last season too, these deer and coons are well fed. Didn't have time to ask him if he has any big buck pics, what he got last year, etc- he had to go. He did seem surprised I took 3 deer last season. LOL he only stopped to ask me what I charge to mount a fox.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A couple points on placing trail cams. Early season cams are usually set over some sort of bait or attractant in order to get an idea of what animals are around.
    As the season progresses, we start actually putting them on active trails to try and figure out were and when and what deer are moving and were they are going with the hopes of an intercept. For some, that is just finding does to shoot for meat. For others, it's a search for a big buck and in some cases THE buck they are perusing. The hard part we need to remember is proper set-up especially for the latter use.

Keys for the best set-up on trails:
    1) Always try to point the cam straight down a trail of suspected approach. That way your cam has plenty of time to activate and trigger it's shot sequence as the deer walks straight towards the camera(as opposed to walking by the cam broadside where most cam won't trigger in time to catch the subject resulting in 'empty' shots).

2) And just as important, you want the camera facing north or south(and I prefer north), not east or west. When you point east or west, you end up facing directly into the sun at the time of day most deer will be using that trail, morning and early evening, washing out most pictures with sunlight

I've lately gone to hanging my cams high up in trees(7-8 feet) as opposed to waist/eye level. I feel it spooks fewer deer, especially wise, season hardened older bucks.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I've lately gone to hanging my cams high up in trees(7-8 feet) as opposed to waist/eye level. I feel it spooks fewer deer, especially wise, season hardened older bucks.

I did that the first year I put a camera out because I was concerned about theft. I mounted it about 8-9 feet off of the ground and got hardly any pictures. The next year I put it about 3 feet off of the ground on a tree that is going up a hill (effectively waist height for my corn pile about 7 feet away) and I got a lot more pictures. Perhaps the sensitivity and range of newer cameras are better. Mine was relatively inexpensive at $90 or so in 2011ish.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I feed 'my' squirrels peanuts by hand. I give them plenty of antlers to gnaw on. They leave my ornamental trees and shrubs alone as well as my house. There is also spray you can use and it works great. I used to spray my bonsais with it too and they never bothered them afterwards. Squirrels learn fast. Take advantage.

I'll look in to that spray...thanks!

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Had armadillos tearing up the part of my yard that is irrigated (right around the house) and that causes them acute lead poisoning. Then caught this photo of my clean up crew coming in.

PICT0006-1_zpsl2ape8d2.jpg

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Watched 2 8s and a nice 10 spar for two hours this morning. Couldn't get a shot though. The does were everywhere!

Attachments

• SUNP0039.jpg
      SUNP0039.jpg
      103.9 KB · Views: 240
    Last edited:

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Going out tomorrow for the first time. I should have plenty of pics to show cause my camera has been in the woods since 9/14 and this will be the first time I look at it

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Well it took jyst under a 1,000 pics in two week and then the card was full. I put a 1gb in and meant to put in a 4gb card. Only had does on every pic and not one buck. So I put out 2 more cameras in different spots and hope I get something good on one of them

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would have thought you would have seen at least a couple of pictures of bachelor packs during this time. They're starting to split up and the rut will be starting soon.

Good Luck!

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I would have thought you would have seen at least a couple of pictures of bachelor packs during this time. They're starting to split up and the rut will be starting soon.

Good Luck!

I did see a 6 pointer on that mornings sit that looked like a Little fork horn buck. I figure that they were just camera shy.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well it took jyst under a 1,000 pics in two week and then the card was full. I put a 1gb in and meant to put in a 4gb card. Only had does on every pic and not one buck. So I put out 2 more cameras in different spots and hope I get something good on one of them

Everyone wants to see big bucks on their cams including me but, in reality, seeing does is good too. Where I hunt, the neighboring property kills does en mass year round so, I'm happy when I get does. Without does, there are no bucks. As far as bucks not showing up on trail cams, I've recognized some bucks year after year while hunting that have never shown up on my cams.

I prefer to run 2gb cards. You get more pics without burning up batteries so fast.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Marsh ghost...
    cool:thumbsup:

Late muzzle loader season? If you have one, might be your best bet.

I have a late archery season...but I don't know if I'll hold out that long...Im trying to get a nice buck. But seeing lots of doe's...which is good. I saw a couple bucks in this creek bed and the crested the hill only to be seen close to half to 3/4 of a mile away in literally minutes!....I never have seen deer run that far that fast...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom