• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Cardin joined the Ways and Means committee in 2003.

I did not get the impression that anyone on the W&M committee did not know there is a problem, I did get the impression they didn't know were praying the public was not paying attention to it.

They are desperately looking for ways to pay back the money. They see revenue streams. 120,000 firearm applications (note last years bill did not include firearms, only ammo) plus the C&C sales, along with ammo to feed all those new firearms, looks like a nice revenue stream way to cover the hole in the fence.

:innocent0

Mr H

Banana'd

This is the list I was hoping we would find. Thanks!!

The Arc Maryland
    Kate Fialkowski, Executive Director (410-970-0093)

Maryland Association of Community Services
    Laura Howell, Executive Director (443-848-1384)
    Chair, MD Developmental Disabilities Coalition

Maryland Developmental Disabilities Council
    Brian Cox, Executive Director (410-446-6025)

Maryland Disability Law Center
    Nancy Pineles, Managing Attorney (443-692-2486)

People on the Go of Maryland
    Ken Capone, Public Policy Coordinator (301-821-1756)

I would encourage folks who have a history with any of these orgs to pick one, and remind them of the shenanigans at DDA.

How about this... Should be its own section, labeled "Chicanery"
    Deficiencies
    Administration Transfer/Revenue/Reversion Assumptions

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Got my copy of the NRA "American Rifleman" today. There is an article titled "Accessiblity offers Possibility" about shooters who are disabled. Some appear to be injured vets and others may be develpmentally disabled. Not sure the DDA services injured vets, but even if they do not, we may have some built in allies with our cause and their's and their troubles with the DDA. Curious if anyone has any insight into this.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Got my copy of the NRA "American Rifleman" today. There is an article titled "Accessiblity offers Possibility" about shooters who are disabled. Some appear to be injured vets and others may be develpmentally disabled. Not sure the DDA services injured vets, but even if they do not, we may have some built in allies with our cause and their's and their troubles with the DDA. Curious if anyone has any insight into this.

DDA is Developmental Disabilities, so I doubt they would be involved for vets.

I would be interested in finding out if there is equivalent stuff going on in other departments.

Here is a bit from the prlog.org entry that is getting my Irish up this morning (emphasis mine)...

Even with recent investments in DDA, the system is inadequately funded with 7,700 children and adults with developmental disabilities in need of services today of which 1400 are in crisis categories. Additionally, existing community services have been critically underfunded, resulting in low-wage staff and inadequate support for children and adults receiving State-funded supports. This fragile system cannot afford to absorb a $20 million loss

This suggests that the budget line items may be nothing more than accounting gimmicks, and DDA management may not even be aware of it.

And then this article...

http://marylandreporter.com/2013/10...d-developmental-disabilities-admin-for-years/

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hint: look at this years fiscal report... Specifically at the deficiencies and deficiency appropriations requests.

Very interesting.

Hmmmmm..... Siphoning off alcohol taxes after an increase from 6 to 9% is a "recent investment"? LOL! Sorry, I know it's not funny, but ya just have to laugh at the language distortion to keep from crying.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring

I would be interested in finding out if there is equivalent stuff going on in other departments.

Here is a bit from the prlog.org entry that is getting my Irish up this morning (emphasis mine)...

This suggests that the budget line items may be nothing more than accounting gimmicks, and DDA management may not even be aware of it.

And then this article...

http://marylandreporter.com/2013/10...d-developmental-disabilities-admin-for-years/

Just getting into this discussion. I've read through the thread. What have you guys dug up? This is very interesting.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Just getting into this discussion. I've read through the thread. What have you guys dug up? This is very interesting.

Welcome!

There is a major accounting problem with the DDA funding.
    There was an investigation done and the result was the IG was fired.
    Money has been disappeared from a surplus to a major deficiency.
    Jon Cardin wants to appropriate ammo and firearms taxes to this account.

Mr h is starting a hash tag #MDisCorrupt :)

And we have just started turning over rocks.

Mr H

Banana'd

So far, the thrust of it seems to be that DDA is being used as a holding pen for the revenues from the 50% alcohol surtax (and the planned redirect of the firearms/ammo sales tax).

Plus, there are some accounting shenanigans going on that DDA can't explain, on top of the waste, [Federal] fraud, and abuse that's been reported in the links throughout.

Not only does HB415 need to go down in flames, but I believe several someones might be eligible for time in Club Fed.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    nice work all! and good idea for new hashtag. I vote #MDcorruption. One in use now is #mdpolitics . I will tweet stuff later including both tags, which will get more eyes on this matter

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Not saying they do handle vet issues, just pointing out every photo I've seen about DDA in Annapolis has people in wheelchairs. I'm assuming birth defects involving misformed or missing limbs is considered a Developmental Disability.

And then this article...

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Hey Shall Not Infringe... in post #32 above you link to the IG report, finally took a closer look, it doesn't mention DDA. It only discusses repayment of Medicare/Medicaid funds to the Feds and talks about DHMH. That looks like the State DHMH paid back $115 Million to the Feds. 12-13 date on report.

Found another IG report from 9-13 about audit of The State DHMH again for "Unallowable Room and Board..." for another $20+Million back to the Feds.

Starting to look like the DDA is only part of the problem.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hey Shall Not Infringe... in post #32 above you link to the IG report, finally took a closer look, it doesn't mention DDA. It only discusses repayment of Medicare/Medicaid funds to the Feds and talks about DHMH. That looks like the State DHMH paid back $115 Million to the Feds. 12-13 date on report.

Found another IG report from 9-13 about audit of The State DHMH again for "Unallowable Room and Board..." for another $20+Million back to the Feds.

Starting to look like the DDA is only part of the problem.

Yes, it is part of a huge problem.

Here's a quote from the IG report I referenced... Note DHMH is the umbrella organization for DDA.

BACKGROUND

Medicaid Program
    The Medicaid program provides medical assistance to low-income individuals and individuals with disabilities. The Federal and State Governments jointly fund and administer the Medicaid program. At the Federal level, CMS administers the program. Each State administers its Medicaid program in accordance with a CMS-approved State plan. In Maryland, the State agency administers the Medicaid program. Although the State agency has considerable flexibility in designing and operating its Medicaid program, it must comply with applicable Federal requirements.

Then there's this IG report that specifically addresses the DDA:
    http://dda.dhmh.maryland.gov/SitePages/Developments/April2012/OIG_DDA_Surplus_rpt.pdf

Ugly enough yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom