• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Also, am I all matching numbers between the parts? Especially the scope? It looks like I am but I'd like someone with more knowledge to say so.

Sorta. The bolt appears to match the receiver, but the scope mount is electropenciled and the magplate is restamped. Both of which were done during rearsenaling...The scope number appears to match the receiver's scope number...

As to rearselnaling, the [X], according to this, is a Ukrainian rearsenal mark.

And 7.62x54r.net is a bit jumbled; for more...orderly info on 91/30 snipers, try this.

Last edited:

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Sorry to "poach" a thread but i bought one of the same rifles also from Aimsurplus. Pics are below and I would appreciate any information folks might have.

Thanks!

IMG_7907_zpscb28d3b5.jpg

IMG_6213_zpsb240fa77.jpg

IMG_3589_zpsd0c2c91a.jpg

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    What does that mean?
    I noticed the shape of the occular end of the scope does not match that on the AIMSURPLUS.COM website. Is that from the refurb process?

what he means is that it was original an SVT-40 scope and it was repurposed by the arsenal for a mosin PU.

its an interesting variation.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Shot great! Bolt was sticking towards the end. Probably needs more oil. Like I said in the other thread sigting in the scope remains a mystery at the moment.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Shot great! Bolt was sticking towards the end. Probably needs more oil. Like I said in the other thread sigting in the scope remains a mystery at the moment.

Your having trouble with hitting paper?
    Getting it to hold zero?
    Something else?

is the bolt sticking only when your opening the bolt after shooting, only when closing the bolt both?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Just a general Q: Are the snipers from AIM/etc typ numbers matching or not? Some I see on the web aren't matching anything (or force matched). Just wondering if that was 'the norm' in the rearsenal process for snipers.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Sorry to "poach" a thread but i bought one of the same rifles also from Aimsurplus. Pics are below and I would appreciate any information folks might have.

1. Can we get a better pic of the side of the receiver? It looks like your original scope number was Xd out and restamped to match the SVT scope.
    2. What's the serial on the bolt and on the bottom of the magplate?
    4. Is there a number on the inside of the scope mount? If so, is it stamped or electropenciled?
    5. As in (1), it looks like the receiver was restamped to match the scope.

Other stuffs: The square (on the receiver, over the Izhevsk arrow-in-triangle), is a rearsenal mark, same as the one on the scope (between the P and K)

It's an Izhevsk...as I said up there, the arrow-in-triangle is Izhevsk.

Neato Ubernerd point: You can see tell the restamps (the rearsenal mark, the new scope serial, the "C") due to their slight greyish tinge compared to the original markings (receiver serial, Izhevsk and Sov crests). Not sure if that's because of new bluing over exposed steel (exposed from the stamping) and old bluing, cold bluing applied directly to the new stamps, or something else...

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Your having trouble with hitting paper?
    Getting it to hold zero?
    Something else?

is the bolt sticking only when your opening the bolt after shooting, only when closing the bolt both?

Hitting paper.

Sticking on opening and closing, but it did not begin to stick until about 25-30 rounds had been fired. Specifically the sticking is happening on lifting (unlocking) and lowering (locking) the bolt handle. The bolt slides just fine.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    2 things I had to do to both my 91/30s was cleaning the chamber with a 20 gauge shotgun brush on a drill trick (look it up). and loosening the extractor pressure.

The extractor being too inward would make it hard to chamber the round, and would leave notches on the rim.
    The gunk in the chamber made the empty round stick in the chamber and not come out easily. I have a post on the mosin section of gunboards where I was shown both of these.

EDIT: Here it is:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?303364-Mosin-Sticky-Bolt

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    What does that mean?
    I noticed the shape of the occular end of the scope does not match that on the AIMSURPLUS.COM website. Is that from the refurb process?

No, not a refurb thing, if the occular side of the scope is larger it is a converted SVT scope.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Occular is the side towards your eye.
    Objective is the side towards your target.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Mine came in.
    Dark war time stock on it.
    Force matched mag plate. Everything else matches. Nothing that does not match the product description of a re-arsinaled PU sniper.

Clarity of the scope is good. Here are pics of the scope.

Attachments

• PUScope1.JPG
      PUScope1.JPG
      25.1 KB · Views: 146
    • PUScope2.JPG
      PUScope2.JPG
      23.6 KB · Views: 145
    • PUScope3.JPG
      PUScope3.JPG
      24.4 KB · Views: 147

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Appears to be a wartime Izhevsk mount.

Mine came in.
    Dark war time stock on it.
    Force matched mag plate. Everything else matches. Nothing that does not match the product description of a re-arsinaled PU sniper.

Clarity of the scope is good. Here are pics of the scope.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Finally cleaned it up this week and shot it today.
    The bore was the cleanest of the now 3 Russian mosins I have. I guess I should expect that.
    I only shot the Czech training 48g hollow core stuff through it so I won't judge the accuracy but at 50yds it was grouping pretty good. Much worse at 100 but I think it's the ammo and I was heating up the barrel cause I wanted to run some solvent patches while it was warm to clean it up some more. The barrel was not fully floating so I need to sand the inside of the stock some and then do the accurizing from smith sights. Trigger pull was over 5.5lbs so I can also work on that. It's a wartime stock so I'm thinking this is the original stock from this 1943Iz PU. Sorry for the poor pics, all I have right now.

I removed all the mount screws including the mount elevation screws. I could stand to adjust the elevation screws later cause my sight picture is at the upper 1/3 of the scope. Windage was smack dead on. I had to shoot at 50yds to get it on paper then move to 100yds. I hope to shoot it this week with both the Bulgarian and PPU rounds I have. And hopefully I will shoot a bit slower to keep that barrel from heating up.

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpg
      IMG_2178.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 122
    • IMG_2179.jpg
      IMG_2179.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 114
    • IMG_2181.jpg
      IMG_2181.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 116
    • IMG_2184.jpg
      IMG_2184.jpg