• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    My sniper came in today! Tell me what I have!!

Mosinsniperfullview_zps689e738c.jpg

The bolt side has the number 3364 upside down on it, just in front of the bolt handle. Immediately to the rear of the bolt handle is a lowercase c and immediately in front of the bolt handle is a zig-zag thing. Can't make it out. If I open the bolt there are several stampings on the flat bottom of the bolt, just below the handle: the number 9, the number 12, and between them a diamond with what looks like Russian letters in it, this is the same as what's on the rear of the receiver below. There's another partial circle with a number, unreadable.

Mosinsniperbolt_zpsaa81f6b5.jpg

The left side has the number 21434 near the front and MOR 0001643 just in front on the scope mount. Stamped in the wood, just below each number is a circle with the number 81 in it. The one stamped under the front number is only half on the wood, so I'm assuming it says the same thing.

Mosinsniperreceiver_zpse0d7380f.jpg

The rear left side on the receiver. The left symbol looks like it has an uppercase B and a lowercase n on it. The right symbol is a diamond with what looks like Russian lettering.

Mosinsniperboltrear_zpsdbd3a68a.jpg

The scope came with the caps, and I think it's matching to the rifle. There's an etched number on the outside of the mount that says KK 3364. Just below the first K is a small sideways triangle, pointing to the front, with an arrow inside it, also pointing to the front. Just above the first K is a small diamond with an A inside it. The number on the scope side has a square with an X inside it just before this number: 53r N21434

Mosinsniperscope_zps7279333b.jpg

The bottom of the magazine well has two numbers: 3364 towards the front and 9053 towards the rear. There's also two things stamped in the metal by the front screw: a small star, maybe, and a half struck number in a circle. The number is a six or a nine and something else that I can't see. The Circle 81 stamp repeats itself in the wood here, and in several other places around the stock

Mosinsnipermagbottom_zps3f9137c1.jpg

Here's the front of the receiver. Hammer and sickle at the front, 1943r under that, then KK 3364, then under that a square with an X in it, then a triangle with an arrow in it, pointing towards the front (this is the same as what's on the scope). On the next portion of the receiver is the number 2, just at the bottom of the pic.

f3da1ead-55ac-479c-8761-63cfd77cf6f3_zps1bf409e6.jpg

And a super heavy case of 880 of my rifle's best friends. :cool:

e6b79a04-f721-47da-bf7f-741ffc22e624_zps4c0d5b39.jpg

Unwrap the mysteries for me, Mosin Guru's!

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Looks like an Izzy from the stamp on top.

Other than that I'm clueless, nice looking rifle, though! Shooter or non?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? And where did you get it from?

A Mosin sniper is on my list...but it's not too high up on the list right now given how things are panning out in the Senate and House...

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    1943 Izhevsk PU sniper, unusual alloy scope refurbished in 1953, the barrel has the scope number, which it is supposed to, mag floorplate is forced match, the original one probably broke long ago, exterior looks very good, hope the bore is good as well.

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    Nice rifle!

Is this one of the $5 bill+ AIM snipers? I've been looking at them but I don't know enough about them to tell what's authentic.

Is their a way to tell if one of these is a true period sniper rifle, or just a 91/30 that's been gussied up?

(not saying yours is, just curious!)

Give us a range report when you get her cleaned up!

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Nice rifle!

Is this one of the $5 bill+ AIM snipers? I've been looking at them but I don't know enough about them to tell what's authentic.

Is their a way to tell if one of these is a true period sniper rifle, or just a 91/30 that's been gussied up?

(not saying yours is, just curious!)

Give us a range report when you get her cleaned up!

the ones AIM has are certainly real, but theres more to it than just real or not, its a bit more complex.

they are all refurbs, which is fine, some are all matching as they were built, others have replacement parts. some might have a replacement scope possibly or whatever.

but they are all real original wwII built soviet sniper rifles.

there were no 91/30s made after the war, so at the very least the rifle will be a real WWII sniper.

this is the cheapest a genuine sniper has ever been, so i believe these are worth the money, even if you dont get a perfect all matching one, and there is a chance to get a rare scope even.

remember, before this importation of genuine snipers, even fake snipers were going for $400.

the scope and mount alone is worth at least $300 or so, and can be worth much more than that.

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    the ones AIM has are certainly real, but theres more to it than just real or not, its a bit more complex.

they are all refurbs, which is fine, some are all matching as they were built, others have replacement parts. some might have a replacement scope possibly or whatever.

but they are all real original wwII built soviet sniper rifles.

there were no 91/30s made after the war, so at the very least the rifle will be a real WWII sniper.

this is the cheapest a genuine sniper has ever been, so i believe these are worth the money, even if you dont get a perfect all matching one, and there is a chance to get a rare scope even.

remember, before this importation of genuine snipers, even fake snipers were going for $400.

the scope and mount alone is worth at least $300 or so, and can be worth much more than that.

Thanks Chaunsey!

Another question: During WWII, was a sniper rifle "tuned up" to be more accurate (more precise rifling, crown, better triggers, etc.), or were they regular issue rifles with a scope and turned down bolt?

I have seen "ex-snipers" advertised that have the turned bolt and stock mod for a scope, but no scope. I have thought about getting one of those and trying my hand in iron sight vintage matches.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Thanks Chaunsey!

Another question: During WWII, was a sniper rifle "tuned up" to be more accurate (more precise rifling, crown, better triggers, etc.), or were they regular issue rifles with a scope and turned down bolt?

I have seen "ex-snipers" advertised that have the turned bolt and stock mod for a scope, but no scope. I have thought about getting one of those and trying my hand in iron sight vintage matches.

I just bought one of these from AIMsurplus. Have not gotten it out to shoot yet.

To my recollection, during the war each Mosin was test fired right after it came off the assembly line. When they found one that happened to be exceptionally accurate, they picked it out to be turned into a sniper model.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Yep, they picked out the more accurate rifles , mass produced military rifles can vary in accuracy quite a bit, even when brand new, this goes for garands, k98s, enfields, snything.

Beyond that I believe they did a bit of trigger work but thats about it.

They should be great shooters, but sniping in ww2 was not like it is today. They were only using 3 or 4 power scopes and only expecting 600 yards or so max effective range. So it wasnt really necessary to do extensive accurizing like we do today.

A sniper in ww2 was often more like a designated marksman is today, in fact I think the effectiveness of the soviet sniper program inspired a lot of nations to increase their use of snipers, meanwhile the average soldier was being equipped more for intermediate range.

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Hello,
    How does it group?
    Josh

I haven't shot her yet, but I'll let you know when I get out there.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? And where did you get it from?

This is one of the Aim snipers and it was $579.

Nice rifle!

Yep, sure is. And they should be a true sniper. I have no reason to believe it's not.

Anyone have more detail on the markings?

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD

Actually they were cranking out 91/30 snipers all the way to 1950 but if you do get a postwar one then you hit the jackpot, they are much more rare.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Wow, you can get lost in that site. Kudos to whomever created it!

As defygravity mentioned, it's a 1943 91/30 produced in Izhevsk. That's about as far as my Mosin-Fu goes right now. Every time I look at this sucker I find more marks! Trying to determine what the 'r' is after the 1943 date. Also, am I all matching numbers between the parts? Especially the scope? It looks like I am but I'd like someone with more knowledge to say so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom