• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I also got a Samco 308 conversion when on sale and my bore was mint. It was a tack driver but many reported poor results. I also lucked out with a crest.
    Since it was of no/little collector value, I thought about scoping it but decided on just getting a new Ruger american. Then thought about it more later and thought I had a spanish mauser conversion that still had a crest and a mint bore, well, that's rather uncommon and left it. Its short, light and shoots well, Could have made a good deer gun in the blind but I have more guns I'd take into the woods ahead of it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I also got a Samco 308 conversion when on sale and my bore was mint. It was a tack driver but many reported poor results. I also lucked out with a crest.
    Since it was of no/little collector value, I thought about scoping it but decided on just getting a new Ruger american. Then thought about it more later and thought I had a spanish mauser conversion that still had a crest and a mint bore, well, that's rather uncommon and left it. Its short, light and shoots well, Could have made a good deer gun in the blind but I have more guns I'd take into the woods ahead of it.

Yeah, crested conversions are definitely more rare. Franco had the crests of those made by Republican-aligned armories scrubbed at Oviedo when they were re-worked (gas vent holes added, along with "thumb cuts" for stripper clips) before putting them back into service with the Guardia Civil. I have a feeling they'll fetch more in the not too distant future as more and more people buy these up from the companies that grabbed them at the SAMCO fire-sale.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    7x57

If you have an itch, you should scratch it. ;)

From my personal experience with Spanish M1916's, what I can add to this thread is I have both a SAMCO 308 conversion I purchased for <$200 several years ago and a Bubba'd 7mm for < $100 at a gun show I restored. A replacement stock and missing metal for the restoration project was inexpensive. Both are fun rifles. They occasionally come out to play at Hooligan shoots.

There's zero Spanish M1916 collector value I'm aware of. The iron sights on them suck. But once you get used to shooting them you can hit a 12" gong at 100 yards. My rifles are plinkers and fed mild reloads so over pressure ammo issues is a low concern.

M1916's are fun range toys. And at my house, they are beagle approved.

:)

j8064, I carry one of those 50 cent pieces in my pocket for good luck.

As the Hooligans know, I have one of those 100.00 rifles that I am trying to make into an express rifle. When I am done, I will have way more money in the thing than it was ever worth but it will be mine and it will be sweet. It wasn't the rifle that got me, but the caliber. Something about the caliber intrigues me.

Now all I need is a stock, barrel, express sights, a barrel band sling swivel, and a gunsmith.

j8064 gave me the Mauser stock you see in the pics with the .50 piece to get me started. :party29:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The last Mauser I built was an Oberndorf 98 in 7x57 with a Shilen barrel turned out good and I'm glad I did it because its a great cartridge and easy to load. Its hard to get a 98 lightweight on wood thats why I like the 94 or 93-5 Loewe actions. Shame they're turning up as beaters someone might have to grab one or two to get enough for a build. Between pitting and finding them soft there should be enough there with two or more laying around for a nice project though. IMG_1088.jpg

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

If you ever do decide to get rid of that rifle, let me know!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    j8064 gave me the Mauser stock you see in the pics with the .50 piece to get me started. :party29:

I forgot to include a part for the stock I gave you. I still have the sling swivel Bubba made out of a piece of coat hanger wire if you can use it...

:lol2:

smoothebore

What he said.

Okay, you asked for it. That's what I told myself when I pulled it out of the box. I was expecting a cleaning project. I'm not sure if I was expecting this. J&G described the stock condition as "shows dents, dings and small minor cracks, overall good condition, used. Whatcha think?

Attachments

• 1916 Spanish 002.jpg
      1916 Spanish 002.jpg
      132.7 KB · Views: 174
    • 1916 Spanish 003.jpg
      1916 Spanish 003.jpg
      134 KB · Views: 185
    • 1916 Spanish 006.jpg
      1916 Spanish 006.jpg
      97.7 KB · Views: 175
    • 1916 Spanish 005.jpg
      1916 Spanish 005.jpg
      98.8 KB · Views: 171
    • 1916 Spanish 007.jpg
      1916 Spanish 007.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 158
    • 1916 Spanish 008.jpg
      1916 Spanish 008.jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 172
    • 1916 Spanish 011.jpg
      1916 Spanish 011.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 191

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    WTF, Yo.

That has to be one of the gunsmith specials. Boyd's Prairie stock is only $129.00 And that trigger guard/floor plate doesn't look like it's from a '93.

If my non-gunsmith special looks like that, there's only one thing left to do.

Go out. And buy a canoe...

PS: Smoothbore, hide/crop your address label.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's supposed to be the 179.95 version. I'm waiting on a call back. The guy that handles that was still at lunch.

That stinks. Can't even imagine what the cheaper ones look like.

Mine will go back if it arrives like that.

If it's mechanically sound, it will reap Bubba's wrath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom