• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    ^^^Not following your reasoning.^^^

I'm assuming he's referring to the old wives tale that the 1916 Spanish Mausers are small ring and therefore supposedly unfit for anything with more punch. For a long time there were false reports running around the internet that the .308 Guardia Civil conversions were actually chambered for 7.62 CETME and not 7.62 NATO or .308 and that they'd blow up in your face if you used either of those rounds in them.

After a little digging, several reputable sites and experts have found that 7.62 CETME never made it out of experimental production phases, that the conversions were indeed for 7.62 NATO and not 7.62 CETME (as there was no production ammo to supply Guardia Civil units with in that caliber), and that despite being built on a small ring action, these particular rifles didn't fail under laboratory testing until pressures over 98,000 psi were applied to the actions. The SAAMI max for .308win is 55,200psi by contrast. They're plenty strong. They also have a vent-hole to the left of the action for case failure to prevent injury to the shooter should such an event occur.

Even if you didn't want to go with .308 or similar, these are excellent actions for .45ACP carbine conversions, etc.

Attachments

• GAM1916_Article.jpg
      GAM1916_Article.jpg
      130.5 KB · Views: 197
    Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Looking at the bolt, it looks like the shroud is 1893ish. Squared off safety switch. Etc. Trigger guard looks like '93 too.

Wondering if they cock on closing like the 1893 Mausers. Could be why they were having trouble chambering some rounds.

They have some in 7x57 that aren't Gunsmith boat oars. But I don't need another caliber.

One in .45acp would be a 16 inch barreled hoot. A .243 Win. would be fun too.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The reasoning is the bolt is not designed for high pressure cartridges and lacks the third safety lug as well as other safety features. Thread diameter at the barrel stub has nothing to do with the pressure generated by either 8 or 7 mm some 98's have small ring threads but 1.140 reciever diameters, G33/40 is the first one that comes to mind, some brno/turks as well. The action only breechs up at the face unlike the 98's that crush on the inner collar.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The reasoning is the bolt is not designed for high pressure cartridges and lacks the third safety lug as well as other safety features. Thread diameter at the barrel stub has nothing to do with the pressure generated by either 8 or 7 mm some 98's have small ring threads but 1.140 reciever diameters, G33/40 is the first one that comes to mind, some brno/turks as well. The action only breechs up at the face unlike the 98's that crush on the inner collar.

The man knows his Mausers.

Just pulled the bolts on my '93 and '03.

The '93 has no third lug. The '03 has a third lug behind the extractor bar.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Spanish recievers are known for being soft, doesnt mean it will blow up, just means that Hs can suffer and gas control could be a problem for the shooter in the event of case failure. Even the thumb slot for clip loading on later actions was enlarged for the same reason.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Spanish recievers are known for being soft, doesnt mean it will blow up, just means that Hs can suffer and gas control could be a problem for the shooter in the event of case failure. Even the thumb slot for clip loading on later actions was enlarged for the same reason.

Spanish woman are known for having hairy armpits.

I know. I've seen them.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't know what happened, but I a call from J&G Sales about a non-gunsmith rifle in 7x57 and 100 rounds of surplus ammo.

The guy said he took the time to pick out two really nice ones. He described both of them over the phone and asked me to pick one. So nice metal and some dings in the wood will have to do.

I'm really angry that someone hacked my account and used my C&R and DL to place an order. Had to be the Russians. Or possibly the Spanish.

Oh well. Spilled milk. Guess I'll just have to contact SGAmmo and buy some PPU 7x57 for $14.00 per 20 rounds.

smoothebore

I don't know what happened, but I a call from J&G Sales about a non-gunsmith rifle in 7x57 and 100 rounds of surplus ammo.

The guy said he took the time to pick out two really nice ones. He described both of them over the phone and asked me to pick one. So nice metal and some dings in the wood will have to do.

I'm really angry that someone hacked my account and used my C&R and DL to place an order. Had to be the Russians. Or possibly the Spanish.

Oh well. Spilled milk. Guess I'll just have to contact SGAmmo and buy some PPU 7x57 for $14.00 per 20 rounds.

Damn Russians...........Got me, too. Email said it's delivering Tuesday.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Geez, I never thought I'd want one of the M1916's, but since I got that 7mm Venezuelan FN-49, maybe I should get a bolt gun to go with it.

If you have an itch, you should scratch it. ;)

From my personal experience with Spanish M1916's, what I can add to this thread is I have both a SAMCO 308 conversion I purchased for <$200 several years ago and a Bubba'd 7mm for < $100 at a gun show I restored. A replacement stock and missing metal for the restoration project was inexpensive. Both are fun rifles. They occasionally come out to play at Hooligan shoots.

There's zero Spanish M1916 collector value I'm aware of. The iron sights on them suck. But once you get used to shooting them you can hit a 12" gong at 100 yards. My rifles are plinkers and fed mild reloads so over pressure ammo issues is a low concern.

M1916's are fun range toys. And at my house, they are beagle approved.

:)

Attachments

• DSC05740.jpg
      DSC05740.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 163
    • M1916 Capture Right Side.jpg
      M1916 Capture Right Side.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 161
    • Restored R 01.JPG
      Restored R 01.JPG
      42 KB · Views: 162

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I am going to try and go to the Fredrick show on Sunday to see what I can find. I am looking to find a cheap resto project.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Some 93-95 actions have hinged push button released floor-plates it would be nice to find one like that. I would avoid any that have had a cock on open conversion but that's just me, they should have a real small quarter cock ramp on opening and then cock completely when the bolt is closed. Brownells used to have some real nice pre fit barrels but I don't know if they still stock them any longer.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    There's zero Spanish M1916 collector value I'm aware of. The iron sights on them suck. But once you get used to shooting them you can hit a 12" gong at 100 yards. My rifles are plinkers and fed mild reloads so over pressure ammo issues is a low concern.

I've been running the Turkish ZQ1 7.62NATO stuff through mine for a couple of years now with no issues. 7.62x51 is a lower max pressure load and is what I typically feed my FAL as well.

My sights are pretty decent. Sure, they're notch and blade, but at least on my particular rifle, they're pretty much high but center at 50 and just a hair high but on at 100. Mind you, it's likely not worth the cost or time of drifting a sight if you're just plinking at the range.

Definitely no collector value as of yet but I do see prices at least keeping up with inflation as time goes on. All you have to do is convince EA or Activision to do a "Call of Duty: Franco's War" video game and you'll see the prices jump at least two fold immediately thereafter. ;)

I bought 4 of them right before SAMCO started going under. I kept the best of the lot and divested the rest later to fund other firearms purchases for my C&R collection. At $149/ea it was an easy thing to do.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You also have to keep in mind that SAAMI, CIP, and NATO all use different methodology for measuring chamber pressures, so you can't simply compare the numbers. I believe CIP specifies drilling a hole in the case and mounting the sensor at one location while SAAMI doesn't drill the hole and mounts the sensor in the chamber at a different location. The exact same ammo will read different pressures in each of the testing methodologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom