• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Condition 1 . Condition 2 is dangerous for multiple reasons.

For still additional redundency , use a holster where the thumbreak strap is possitioned between the cocked hammer and the firing pin. Dead cow prefered.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Condition 1 . Condition 2 is dangerous for multiple reasons.

For still additional redundency , use a holster where the thumbreak strap is possitioned between the cocked hammer and the firing pin. Dead cow prefered.

I like dead cow. It's my personal preference. I'm using plastic right now until I can place an order for some decent cow. There's a gun show this weekend, but this show is notoriously skimpy when it comes to holsters.....don't know why, but it is.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I didn't read all the posts, I stopped right here to give you a quick opinion. Be Very Very Careful with some holsters like the "auto lock" types. 5.11 and Serpa. Especially the ones with the front locks release. There is a video floating around here some where. A guy was trying to practice with his new holster. He went to release the lock, when he did he also released his safety on his 1911. The guy shot himself in the knee. So, just be careful, when you are choosing a holster with the intention of carrying a 1911 "Cocked and Locked".

What happens is instead of using the middle length of your finger to depress the holster lock, he used the tip and pointed in to depress it. When the pistol came out, his finger tip followed suit onto the trigger.
    Plus he just depressed the safety a tad early and boom.
    If you use a serpa, test approx what part of your finger will depress the latch. If your finger is short, then you may want to rethink the holster.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    1911 was designed to be carried Condition 1. Cocked and locked on a loaded chamber.

Carry it any other way. . . . you might as well put a paperweight in your holster.
    (Or a stapler!!):D

I have been carrying it since early yesterday, cocked and locked. Being the former owner of a revolver and the current owner of a Glock, minding my booger hook has never been an issue..

That said, I love carrying this thing.

Dec 6, 2011
    Condition 1 - Loaded Chamber and Safety On
    Condition 2 - Loaded Chamber and Hammer Down
    Condition 3 - Empty Chamber and Loaded Mag

If you have to ask, Condition 3 is your best bet. If you carry Condition 1, put it in a holster and leave it there. Everytime a Condition 1 gun comes out of the holster you risk a negligent discharge. One moment of inattention is all it takes.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    If you carry a 1911 it should be cocked and locked. If you are not comfortable with this, then look at a double/single action.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you carry a 1911 it should be cocked and locked. If you are not comfortable with this, then look at a double/single action.

This. You may need only 1 important first round. You risk a feed issue if you charge the pistol as you draw. unless you train like an Israeli air marshal, carry how you want :)

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hmmm, how do they carry?

Bryan

Wouldn't you like to know. :) but I am sure they can draw any weapon in any condition, fight thru a malfunction and be just as fast ;)

My point being train in whatever condition you carry. Be a natural with it in your hands.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Agree on condition 1, but in some states it would be a violation of conditions of Concealed Carry Permit to have a chambered round. Not a fan of that at all.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom