• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    the subcompact 1911's suck...Period.

You should have shot a full- sized 1911 with an extended beaver- tail to prevent hammer bite. It also makes for a more comfortable grip.

The shortest I would go with a 1911 is a commander version... but nothing beats the full sized Government model.

I agree with this. I have a defender and now it just sits in my safe looking pretty. I love shooting my full size 1911's. They are the only ones to own in my opinion. I have big hands and big socks and no compacts work for me!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I agree with this. I have a defender and now it just sits in my safe looking pretty. I love shooting my full size 1911's. They are the only ones to own in my opinion. I have big hands and big socks and no compacts work for me!

The extended beavertail makes a big difference. No hammer bites, despite of a very high hold/ grip on the gun.

It also helps manage recoil and gets you back on target quicker. Since I'm so used to shoot these things with a high grip, I can no longer shoot a standard 1911 without getting bit or I have to make an effort to remind myself to grip the gun lower if it has the standard/ GI grip safety.

BI have the same issue with a BHP.:sad20:

Please excuse the crappy picture.

Attachments

• hammerbite.jpg
      hammerbite.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 328

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Full sized 1911's in 45ACP are fun to shoot! Usally the grip safeties are set up to help you grip the pistol properly -to help avoid hammer bite.

I have the same setup as SCARCQB (different model though) never been bit so far.

I find the full size 1911 fits my hands great, and is a very comfy pistol. The 45ACP is a fun round. I dont find the recoil the slightest bit heavy.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have pretty big hands size 16 ring , I have the exact same setup scar has and have never had a problem . That said shootiing my WWII era Colts I have been bit . Another option is try one with a arched mainspring housing , it will fill your hand a lil more .

Besides all that dont let anyone convince you to buy the "popular" gun just because it is that . Get what your comfortable with .This coming from someone who loves 1911s

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I went to Free State last night to shoot and decided to rent a .45 1911 since I've been thinking about getting one for a long time, but I'd never shot one (nor any .45 for that matter). The only one they had was a shorter Colt model...Defender maybe? Sorry, I can't remember exactly which model it was. Anyway I shot a box of 45s through it and thought I'd comment.

There were positives and negatives. My current pistol is a Springfield XD40, I was expecting a much larger recoil from the 1911, but was pleasantly surprised. I found it no worse than my xd40, just different. However upon first grasping the gun I knew it wasn't going to be optimal. I have pretty big hands, and I found the grip to be a hair too short. Also, every time I pulled the trigger I could feel a nip on my hand. I can only assume it was the hammer coming down past the beaver tail, I don't think the slide could have touched my hand where it was. Anyway, I had a nice red spot on my hand when I was finished. I held a few of the larger 1911s they had there for sale, and none of them seemed to have any taller of a grip.

That leads me to think that maybe a 1911 isn't for me. I picked up a P220 in a gun store a while back and recall it being the best "feeling" gun in my hand. I'm thinking I'll explore that route, unless you guys point out something I'm missing about the 1911.

First of all, the P220 is a classic gun unto itself, no shame in loving it even over the 1911. Whatever else, a full-size Sig has serious "presence" when in the hand.

Second, it seems weird to me that you'd get nicked by the hammer on a gun with an extended beavertail. You know what happened better than I do, but it's odd.

the subcompact 1911's suck...Period.

You should have shot a full- sized 1911 with an extended beaver- tail to prevent hammer bite. It also makes for a more comfortable grip.

The shortest I would go with a 1911 is a commander version... but nothing beats the full sized Government model.

OP, how many rounds did the magazine hold at full capacity? 6, 7,or 8?

The Sig 220 is also a fine gun, especially if it is GERMAN manufactured. I carry a German mfg'd Sig 220. If the Sig 220 felt good in your hand, then more than likely, the full-sized 1911 should feel good for you. If the 1911 you fired wasn't full-sized and didn't have a 7 or 8 round magazine capacity, it was a shorter grip and that will most certainly feel a bit awkward, especially considering the size of your paws. SCARCQB and erwos posts above are good. The below post by guthook is informative, too. You need to pick up and feel the full-sized 1911 donning the later beavertail grip safety and hammer along side the Sig 220 and the Spfld XD40 that you mentioned (the XD is just for comparison's sake as the OP mentioned it).

It's called "hammer bite".

1911's with the old style hammer and safety are notorious for doing it.

Did the hammer and beavertail look like this:

View attachment 46804

......or this:

View attachment 46805

In the original style (pic 1), the slide pushes back the hammer and can pinch your skin in between the hammer and the beavertail safety. They remedied this by making a bobbed hammer and an extended beavertail (pic 2) which shielded the hand from the hammers travel.

I just changed my stock RIA Govt hammer and BT out for an extended version and the difference is astronomical.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    the 1911 remains popular because it was designed right. The Grip angle of the 1911 is the best and aids position the hand correctly. Those attribute to the very much liked " Gentle Push" instead of a violent " snap" as it pertains to felt recoil.

While the 1911 is an awesome design.Over the years, it has evolved with certain add- ons that enhance form and function. Modern shooting techniques ( high grip) and old school 1911's dont really mix well. For me, my 1911s all have the extended safety, Beavertails and enhanced sights. This allows the shooter to grip the pistol using a " modern" high/ competition grip and a low bore axis. This equates to recoil management and faster target acquisition.

Compare the bore axis on many pistols ( Sig and XD, XDM, Glock etc.) You will find that a 1911 that is set-up correctly has the lowest one. This allows the gun to sink into your grip and become an extension of your hands. Couple that with the feel and weight of steel... you Sir will have a winner.

BTW... The 1911 also has the best trigger. You can get one that will break like a precision bolt-gun. Sig tried to do that with the X series...and emulated the 1911.

Last edited:

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Another nice thing is the amount of aftermarket parts you can purchase to make it entirely to your own liking. Strip it to the frame and dress it up to the specs you want. Price is your only limitation.

I took my stock RIA M1911-A1 GI model, removed the sights, grips, grip safety and hammer. I replaced them with LPA target sights, Hogue aluminum grips, Wilson Combat Beavertail grip safety and Hammer.

Before: (stock internet pic)
    ria19111.jpg

After: (dirty gun, crappy camera pic) :o
    1911 hammer and bt 004 sm.jpg

Guess I should've cleaned it before the pic, but you get the idea.;)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Another nice thing is the amount of aftermarket parts you can purchase to make it entirely to your own liking. Strip it to the frame and dress it up to the specs you want. Price is your only limitation.

I took my stock RIA M1911-A1 GI model, removed the sights, grips, grip safety and hammer. I replaced them with LPA target sights, Hogue aluminum grips, Wilson Combat Beavertail grip safety and Hammer.

Before: (stock internet pic)
    View attachment 46845

After: (dirty gun, crappy camera pic) :o
    View attachment 46846

Guess I should've cleaned it before the pic, but you get the idea.;)

You should help out crazyal.. his 1911 came with GOLD sights:lol2: ( Drug lord- dictator ala Muammar khadaffi al saddam hussein look)

Lx1x talked him into using cold blue to darken them... He got happy with it and the liquid blue dripped all over the slide , he panicked and held the gun with his fingers still wet with permablue.... He was over by the house last weekend and we spent a couple of hours sanding the zebra stripes off his chromed 1911

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    You should help out crazyal.. his 1911 came with GOLD sights:lol2:

Lx1x talked him into using cold blue to darken them... He got happy with it and the liquid blue dripped all over the slide , he panicked and help the gun with his fingers still wet with permablue.... He was over by the house last weekend and we spent a couple of hours sanding the zebra stripes off his chromed 1911

You owe me a new keyboard.:lol2:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    at least, he cant deny its his weapon.. its got his prints all over it.. with permablue.

If that gun get stolen and used in a crime... crazyal better have a good alibi.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Okay, I'll dare to speak the heresy, the 1911 Government Model just doesn't feel good in my hand and I've never been able to get comfortable with it. I currently own both a Springfield Armory Milspec GM and a Colt Series 70 GM. Both are great guns, completely reliable and nicely fitted, but the grip just doesn't fit my large hands. As far as .45s go, I have a Sig 220 that feels better in the hand and I am contemplating the purchase of a Glock 21SF. Forgive me John Moses, you created a great thing in the 1911 but I like the feel of your HP better!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Okay, I'll dare to speak the heresy, the 1911 Government Model just doesn't feel good in my hand and I've never been able to get comfortable with it. I currently own both a Springfield Armory Milspec GM and a Colt Series 70 GM. Both are great guns, completely reliable and nicely fitted, but the grip just doesn't fit my large hands. As far as .45s go, I have a Sig 220 that feels better in the hand and I am contemplating the purchase of a Glock 21SF. Forgive me John Moses, you created a great thing in the 1911 but I like the feel of your HP better!

Milspec guns are not comfortable to grip using the high/ competition grip. The frame safety is too small and sharp. Get a beavertail installed..or the newer EB memory grove beavertails. Slimline grips also work great for smaller hands.

I'll trade you my Browning HP with the crappy trigger for a 1911...just kidding

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA

unfortunatly i have to second this. grip just doesnt feel right in my hands for some reason.

sig p220 feels way better... as does say an xdm .40

i'm also looking at the 21sf. funny.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    So you can put something to how the different 1911's may feel in your hand,
    while checking out the different 1911's out there, take note of how different type of beavertail grip safeties let the gun sit in your hand. Some allow the gun to sit much lower than others, Kimber, STI, Ed Browns. This can be beneficial to faster shooting and point for some. For others, it may make it feel small, which seems to be your situation. Then a "standard" beavertail design such as those found on Wilson Combat, Les Baer and Springfield Armory may be more conducive to your liking.

The Ruger SR1911 seems to a blend of the two.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Thanks for all the great advice. I'll have to hit a gun store and handle a few. The p220 super match has caught my eye though...

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I went to a store last night and picked up a variety of 45s. P220, XDM45, 1911, and...I feel like Rick Perry right now...oh, no it was another P220.

Anyway, surprisingly I hated the feel of the XDM the most, I expected to like it since I like my XD40's grip. The 1911 felt the same as the one I shot. The P220 really does fit my hand nicely. I just need to find a place to shoot one. Does anybody know a place that has a P220 to rent?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't forget the M&P .45, swap the backstraps till you find the one you like the best.

To answer your question, not familiar with Parkville, so that'd be a 'no' for me...

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I just saw in another thread a guy rented a P220 Combat at Continental. I may have to stop there and rent it...even though those guys bug me. I PM'd Freestate, but they haven't replied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom