• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I went to Free State last night to shoot and decided to rent a .45 1911 since I've been thinking about getting one for a long time, but I'd never shot one (nor any .45 for that matter). The only one they had was a shorter Colt model...Defender maybe? Sorry, I can't remember exactly which model it was. Anyway I shot a box of 45s through it and thought I'd comment.

There were positives and negatives. My current pistol is a Springfield XD40, I was expecting a much larger recoil from the 1911, but was pleasantly surprised. I found it no worse than my xd40, just different. However upon first grasping the gun I knew it wasn't going to be optimal. I have pretty big hands, and I found the grip to be a hair too short. Also, every time I pulled the trigger I could feel a nip on my hand. I can only assume it was the hammer coming down past the beaver tail, I don't think the slide could have touched my hand where it was. Anyway, I had a nice red spot on my hand when I was finished. I held a few of the larger 1911s they had there for sale, and none of them seemed to have any taller of a grip.

That leads me to think that maybe a 1911 isn't for me. I picked up a P220 in a gun store a while back and recall it being the best "feeling" gun in my hand. I'm thinking I'll explore that route, unless you guys point out something I'm missing about the 1911.

Resurrected thread for an update, this is resolved see post 68.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    First of all, the P220 is a classic gun unto itself, no shame in loving it even over the 1911. Whatever else, a full-size Sig has serious "presence" when in the hand.

Second, it seems weird to me that you'd get nicked by the hammer on a gun with an extended beavertail. You know what happened better than I do, but it's odd.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    the subcompact 1911's suck...Period.

You should have shot a full- sized 1911 with an extended beaver- tail to prevent hammer bite. It also makes for a more comfortable grip.

The shortest I would go with a 1911 is a commander version... but nothing beats the full sized Government model.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Was the "nip"/"red spot" on your hand right at the bottom of the "V" between you thumb and fore finger?

It's the back of the safety. (How's THAT for irony?) :)

Mine does it quite often. Has even bled a couple of times after about 100 rds. Been meaning to have Dr. Bob look at it,but just haven't gotten around to it.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    I went to Free State last night to shoot and decided to rent a .45 1911 since I've been thinking about getting one for a long time, but I'd never shot one (nor any .45 for that matter). The only one they had was a shorter Colt model...Defender maybe? Sorry, I can't remember exactly which model it was. Anyway I shot a box of 45s through it and thought I'd comment.

There were positives and negatives. My current pistol is a Springfield XD40, I was expecting a much larger recoil from the 1911, but was pleasantly surprised. I found it no worse than my xd40, just different. However upon first grasping the gun I knew it wasn't going to be optimal. I have pretty big hands, and I found the grip to be a hair too short. Also, every time I pulled the trigger I could feel a nip on my hand. I can only assume it was the hammer coming down past the beaver tail, I don't think the slide could have touched my hand where it was. Anyway, I had a nice red spot on my hand when I was finished. I held a few of the larger 1911s they had there for sale, and none of them seemed to have any taller of a grip.

That leads me to think that maybe a 1911 isn't for me. I picked up a P220 in a gun store a while back and recall it being the best "feeling" gun in my hand. I'm thinking I'll explore that route, unless you guys point out something I'm missing about the 1911.

I have large hands and my RIA 1911 does something similar to what you are describing. In my hand the back strap safety that your hand depresses when gripping the pistol starts to rub at the web between my thumb and first finger. It's not the hammer or slide but rather that saftey piece that is probably doing it. It only bothers me if I shoot over a hundred rounds in a session, and the 1911 is so fun to shoot I don't really let the minor irritation slow me down.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    The gun looked like this, except it had shorter barrel:
    left.jpg

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Was the "nip"/"red spot" on your hand right at the bottom of the "V" between you thumb and fore finger?

It's the back of the safety. (How's THAT for irony?) :)

Mine does it quite often. Has even bled a couple of times after about 100 rds. Been meaning to have Dr. Bob look at it,but just haven't gotten around to it.

Yes, that is where the spot was. I do appreciate the irony ;)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Unless you're looking for a CCW piece I'd say try a full sized 1911 with an extended beavertail grip safety mated with a bobbed hammer.
    If they're available in MD you might want to consider a bigger frame like the double stack models from Para-Ordnance. They'd never fit my small paws but for someone like my brother, who can palm a gallon milk jug, they fit much better. They offer models that have the mods I listed above as std features as well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If a Desert Eagle is just right for your hands, the 1911 is too small :lol: Call around, there are lots of places that rent straight up 1911s. If I lived in Maryland I'd let you shoot one of mine, but then neither of them are .45 ACP.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I don't want this gun for carrying. It will more than likely spend its days punching holes in paper. But, depending on how comfortable I become with it, it may become a nightstand weapon. Weight really isn't an issue for me either. I just want it to be comfortable to shoot, accurate and reliable.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    @ Gambler- I'm going to be at Freetstate for the Bowing Pin shoot on Wednesday evening. You're more than welcome to try mine. (Full size 1911)

(I'll be the guy with the shoulder length grey hair (and probably still wearing a dust mask) :(

BlindViper

Mar 15, 2007
    felton, pennsylvania
    I have pretty big hands I can't not shoot a 1911 without a full beavertail. Also if you need maybe a 1/4-3/8 of a inch a drop in magwell could get you that.

Attachments

• PDRM0389.JPG
      PDRM0389.JPG
      49 KB · Views: 1,079

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    It's called "hammer bite".

1911's with the old style hammer and safety are notorious for doing it.

Did the hammer and beavertail look like this:

left.jpg

......or this:

PDRM0389.JPG

In the original style (pic 1), the slide pushes back the hammer and can pinch your skin in between the hammer and the beavertail safety. They remedied this by making a bobbed hammer and an extended beavertail (pic 2) which shielded the hand from the hammers travel.

I just changed my stock RIA Govt hammer and BT out for an extended version and the difference is astronomical.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom