• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I'm been researching 1911's for the last week. I've fired a few different models and now I have more questions.

I fired the Rock Island and wasn't impressed. I'm not sure if it was the smooth grips but there seems to be more muzzle flip and felt recoil than with the other 1911's I fired.

Next was the Sig GSR 1911. Better. Not much not to like at this point. Accuracy was better than with the RIA.

Finally, the Kimber Gold Match 2. Now the GSR doesn't look so good. Felt recoil was very low. Accuracy was better than the GSR. I could hit wherever I aimed.

So here's the problem. I've read comments on this board from highly respected and talented shooters who don't like the Kimber. They had problem after problem and had to send them back in. After sending them back, the problems still remained.

I'm willing to spend some money for a nice 1911. My experience (or lack there of) has me questioning the Kimber now.

Is it worth the money being asked? Should I go with something higher end like the DW Valor? Does anyone have a reason to avoid that 1911?

Can I even get a DW Valor as I didn't see it on the Maryland Handgun Roster?

Please some insight into the Kimber and the DW Valor :o
    This is my first 1911 and would like a nice one that I can pass along to my son some day.

Thanks for your time.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you get the kimber new, run 500 rounds through it. If anything is going to break, it will happen then. The guns are TIGHT and it takes a while for everything to either break in properly or just break. I'm pretty happy with mine, I just need some better mags.

Jim

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Just my personal experiance here i have a Kimber and 2 friends that have Kimbers .We have had no issues with them . The rest of my 1911s are Colts and 1 ww2 Ithaca . Ive had no issues with those either.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    You've shot mine and said you liked it. I see them once in a while on gunbroker. Like the above posts, I have never had a problem with it. I have heard the bad reviews on Kimbers but I can tell you that mine runs flawlessly. If you look around, you can find a nice used one for around $600. It's too bad they stopped making them. Can't beat a Kimber that holds 14 rounds of .45 ACP.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A nice entry level 1911 is the Metroarms Firestorm Government Deluxe. It's a nice shooter, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The downside is the rollmark on the slide.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    You've shot mine and said you liked it. I see them once in a while on gunbroker. Like the above posts, I have never had a problem with it. I have heard the bad reviews on Kimbers but I can tell you that mine runs flawlessly. If you look around, you can find a nice used one for around $600. It's too bad they stopped making them. Can't beat a kimber that holds 14 rounds of .45 ACP.

I very much like yours! Both yours and the gold match shot great. I'm leaning more towards the kimber.

Please keep the opinions coming. Any insight into the roster?

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    While it's nothing to write home about my Ria Match has the purdiest trigger I've ever had. Swallows everything I feed it and I can get two of those for the prices of the other stuff.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    The Spartan is sold by STI; I've heard they make very nice weapons but have no experience with them. Their other 1911's are made in TX but the Spartan comes from the Phillipines I believe, which is why it costs about half as much, though for the money it is supposedly a good deal.

Personally, I would take a Colt over a Kimber, purely because I like Colts. The Springfields I've seen are nice, though they tend to have more tooling marks visible, which is a minor detail.

Les Baer makes a very fine 1911, and a guarantee of a 10 shot group at 50 yds under 3" is unsurpassed for the price (around 1700 for the most basic). They also come with 30LPI checkering on the front strap if that is important to you(it is to me). For another 250 you can get the 50 yd group guaranteed for 1.5", if you are good enough to utilize that accuracy. I probably wouldn't suggest a Baer for your first 1911, though. They can be difficult to field strip and you don't want to put an idiot mark on a gun that costs 2k.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I love my Kimber. Like others have said, you need to run 200+ rounds through them before they settle in. The tolerances are very tight so you will get some FTF in the first few boxes of ammo. After that it should be good to go. Mine has run perfectly since the break in period. Very accurate gun. I really love it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a Kimber once, Series 1 Gold Match. Ran like a clock. Very good trigger. Accurate, too. Never malfunctioned when it was kept clean (every 300 rounds) when firing lead ammo (the chamber would get tight from lube and powder residue). Firing jacketed ammo, there were no problems at all. It was a handsome gun and well finished.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    The truth is Kimber is no comparison to Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, or Les Baer 1911's, they are the great. If your going to get a basic 1911A1 then you may as well get a Rock Island Tactical and save yourself some money. Kimbers and Sig's have be know to have a lot of problems with current quality control for their cost point, but I've heard some good things about Kimber Custom II($700-850) line. It all depends on what your budget is, if you have the dough for $1000+ I'd go DW, Wilson Nighthawk or Les Baer.

ESS

Jul 14, 2010
    Carroll Co.
    Wayne Novak also makes excellent high end custom 1911 and High Powers. As well as some of the best sights on the planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom