• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I had a Kimber once, Series 1 Gold Match. Ran like a clock. Very good trigger. Accurate, too. Never malfunctioned when it was kept clean (every 300 rounds) when firing lead ammo (the chamber would get tight from lube and powder residue). Firing jacketed ammo, there were no problems at all. It was a handsome gun and well finished.

Magnumite, do you mean "Gen 1" or "series 1"? If you mean Gen 1, they are real nice guns.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Which ever way you want to call them. Heard and read it both ways. It was a nice gun, I just couldn't warm up to it. I didn't like the way the front strap was shaped. I was also looking for more in the way of slide/frame fit in that class gun. It was an education looking at the action work Kimber did to it. Wasn't quite what I was looking for. But I couldn't knock it's performance.

TurboHeloDriver

Constitutional Patriot
    Sep 23, 2009
    Waynesboro, VA
    I don't know what RIA you fired, but it was apparently one of the cheaper models. I have a RIA 1911 FS Match that will easily shoot sub-3" groups at 25' with no issues. It has nice checkered grips and a 4.25 lb. trigger. At around $700, it's the more expensive RIA, but a reasonable price for a 1911 that shoots like it does. Happy to let you test drive it if you wanna meet me at the range sometime. Pics of it here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=39798

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Vector, why don't you just buy your two favorites and I'll just take the one you like the least after the break in process :innocent0:thumbsup:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Vector, why don't you just buy your two favorites and I'll just take the one you like the least after the break in process :innocent0:thumbsup:
    Great Idea! An even better idea is buy your three favorites, and Ryan and I will buy all your ammo to test them out. Once you're done, we'll take your two least favorites. We only offer this because you're a good guy and we care.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Great Idea! An even better idea is buy your three favorites, and Ryan and I will buy all your ammo to test them out. Once you're done, we'll take your two least favorites. We only offer this because you're a good guy and we care...when it involves a free 1911.

Fixed it for you :innocent0

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Wow...since you're settling for just the 1911's, I'll just return the matching AR15's and hookers.

Helga will be disappointment
    :sad53:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you dant like the RIA consider a S&W 1911. They are better than Kimbers and Springfield Armory Guns IMHO.

From there go Baer, then Nighthawk, then a custom build by a reputable Gunsmith.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Honestly, what I'm looking for is this.

Frame: Steel or Stainless Steel
    Frame Finish: Something dark in color that may or may not be identical to the slide
    Slide: Steel or Stainless Steel in a dark color
    Barrel: Steel or Stainless Steel - 5 inch
    Sights: Night Sights

After this, I would like the best value for the internal components. I'm not hung up on manufacturer as I've never owned a 1911 and don't have any brand loyalty.

Price isn't really an issue if I'm getting good quality but I won't be spending 2500 on a 1911 at this point.

Person who points me to the pistol I end up buying will get a box of 9mm WWB or a box of 9mm Gold Dot 147gr HP.

Thanks!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The Gold Cup was and I think still is aimed at the Bullseye shooter, not a home defense/ combat shooter. Not sure if the Colt XSE is on the approved list, if it is, it would be a great gun.

BTW, why do you need night sights?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Colt XSE in stainless should meet your requirements nicely for under a thousand bucks. Shoot the gun as is and enjoy. You might find the gun to be satisfactory in bone stock form.

Or if you want to gussie the gun up, save up a few bucks at your convenience for some mods. Add a C&S ignition set. Do a throat and feed ramp job on the gun, tune extractor, add an EGW firing pin stop, shoot and enjoy. I would probably put a better thumb safety on too. The Colt factory ambi part is a piece of trash. All this should run around $500 if done by a pro. This would get you a very nice gun with bullet proof internals for a little over a grand without spending Nighthawk money. The above recipe will get you a gun that is every bit the functional equivalent of a Nighthawk or any other high end 1911. It won't have the detail work and sculptured look of a $2500 gun, but you will have a lot more dough left for ammo.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Under $1000 is $850 or better. Add $500 is 1350 or better. And you still have a modified Colt. Watch the ads and you can get a Baer for a couple hundred more and doesn't need any work. Plus resale is protected. Just my .02

Wiley-X

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 25, 2011
    If the gun is decently made to start, a 1911 is a 1911. By that I mean the frame, slide and barrel are made to reasonable tolerances.

In my 1911 stable I have a Norinco, a 70's vintage Colt, an Argentine 1927, an Essex, and a Ballester-Molina (not a 1911 but similar).

I've used all for bowling pin matches and all did their job. I point, squeeze the trigger, and the pin flies off the table. That's accurate enough for me unless I'm doing bullseye.

Like an original VW Beetle, the charm and beauty of the 1911 platform is that you can tweak it to be yours and yours alone and if you are mechanically competent you can do your own gunsmithing.

Don't like the trigger? Install a new one in a few minutes. Prefer a different mainspring housing? Same thing. Sear spring? Recoil spring? Even sights can be changed by the owner.

I like tweaking things over time as I find out what I don't like about a gun.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Under $1000 is $850 or better. Add $500 is 1350 or better. And you still have a modified Colt. Watch the ads and you can get a Baer for a couple hundred more and doesn't need any work. Plus resale is protected. Just my .02

What makes you assume that 2 or 300 bucks extra for a Baer would net you a better gun than a modded Colt?

If you look at some of the stuff coming out of Baer's shop these days, I'd rather have a gun put together by a smith like Clandestine that I can deal with face to face, and spec out the parts that I want, not what Les wants in one of his pre-packaged guns.

The last Baer I bought, I couldn't stand the sight of it and sold it new in the box. The workmanship (specifically the finish and metal prep work) was not up to the standards of my 2003 Concept II, and not acceptable for the nearly $1600 I paid for it. Not to mention if you buy an out of the box Colt and have problems with it, Colt will bend over backwards to take care of you. The lovely ladies in Baer's customer service department have a reputation for often providing indifferent customer service.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    If you want to try a good RIA, let me know. I've had numerous folks try it and then go try to find one. One poor fellow was disappointed when he tried to trade a pretty Kimber for my GI spec-looking 1911A2 (double stack), I'm perfectly happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom