Jan 30, 2010

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I got one, but not sure I'll bother with getting another. If I have to pay for a pin&weld job to get it to 16", cost is getting near the price of a Criterion or Centurion barrel.

Form 1, $200, and install as is.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    The attraction was having an HBAR rifle for a truck gun. Pistols and SBR's are more complicated to transport. Well, transport legally anyway.

Well if that is your goal may I recommend something completely out of the ordinary?

1. Buy an stripped upper receiver
    2. Buy dust cover and FWD assist
    3. Buy a 10.5 inch barrel (with GI barrel nut)
    4. Buy a hinged gas block
    5. Buy 9" MI 2 piece free float
    6. Buy gas tube
    7. Buy BCG
    8. Buy Charging handle
    9. Buy GP5 Suppressor

Now put it all together, the Griffen Armament GP5 is pre-drilled for pin and welding. Wait for your tax stamp to gun and now you take your finished upper mount on a lower of your choice and you have a one stamp rifle that you can take anywhere in your truck and legally in any state.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Well if that is your goal may I recommend something completely out of the ordinary?

6. Buy gas tube
    7. Buy BCG
    8. Buy Charging handle
    9. Buy GP5 Suppressor

Now put it all together, the Griffen Armament GP5 is pre-drilled for pin and welding. Wait for your tax stamp to gun and now you take your finished upper mount on a lower of your choice and you have a one stamp rifle that you can take anywhere in your truck and legally in any state.

That Griffin is actually a decent price at $495. Wasn't expecting that.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    That Griffin is actually a decent price at $495. Wasn't expecting that.

Yup - the reason for the hinged gas block and the MI two piece free float is so that you can still service your rifle after pin and welding the suppressor.

Also a great setup for 300 BO - Silent Hunter or for home defense for example.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland

6. Buy gas tube
    7. Buy BCG
    8. Buy Charging handle
    9. Buy GP5 Suppressor

Sorry....just asking, what's a "hinged" gas block......adjustable?

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    The hinged gas block gives you the ability to remove and replace gas tubes for example when you’ve pinned and welded suppressors or muzzle devices who’s diameter is greater than the barrel diameter. That coupled with the Midwest industries two piece free float rail makes for a perfectly field serviceable rifle

Attachments

• F2EC26AA-6732-4D16-B2A3-3B550C45FA22.jpeg
      F2EC26AA-6732-4D16-B2A3-3B550C45FA22.jpeg
      35.9 KB · Views: 271

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

6. Buy gas tube
    7. Buy BCG
    8. Buy Charging handle
    9. Buy GP5 Suppressor

Very clever. For me, I don't want a permanently attached can, but this approach has a lot advantages.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    The hinged gas block gives you the ability to remove and replace gas tubes for example when you’ve pinNed and welded suppressorS or muzzle devices who’s diameter is greater than the barrel diameter. That coupled with the Midwest industries two piece free float rail makes for a perfectly serviceable rifle

News to me....learn something every day!

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Very clever. For me, I don't want a permanently attached can, but this approach has a lot advantages.

It does, call griffin armament. I asked them about cleaning the can, they said unless you shoot corrosive ammo to not worry about it one bit. If you do, rinse it with water and use compressed air to dry.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The hinged gas block gives you the ability to remove and replace gas tubes for example when you’ve pinNed and welded suppressorS or muzzle devices who’s diameter is greater than the barrel diameter. That coupled with the Midwest industries two piece free float rail makes for a perfectly serviceable rifle

Wow!!! That’s cool!

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Wow!!! That’s cool!

It’s my home defense / SHTF setup. I will only shoot it suppressed (Won’t be wearing hearing protection when things go bumb in the night). Run a snake through it for cleaning and she’s good to go. The barrel I chose is Triarc’s Track 2.0 10.5” suppressed only barrel.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It’s my home defense / SHTF setup. I will only shoot it suppressed (Won’t be wearing hearing protection when things go bumb in the night). Run a snake through it for cleaning and she’s good to go. The barrel I chose is Triarc’s Track 2.0 10.5” suppressed only barrel.

My HD/ SHTF setup is also a 10.5” with a suppressor, for the same reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom