• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    To my knowledge, MD code says the barrel has to be advertised as heavy, but makes no mention of dimensions that qualify.

That's my understanding as well.

MMC is the manufacturer, so if they're advertising their own barrel as heavy profile then it should be good to go.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Sorry, focused on the specifications and the photos only.
    I'm skeptical on this though. The back half is HBAR compared to the colt barrel but not the front half in front of the gas block.

Per Colt, the US government and most manufacturers* the SOCOM profile is an HBAR.

This meets or exceeds MSP's arbitrary and non binding guidance of marked or marketed by the manufacturer as an HBAR.

*BCM markets their SOCOM barrel as a midweight barrel and are a Grey area for legality in MD.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Sorry, focused on the specifications and the photos only.
    I'm skeptical on this though. The back half is HBAR compared to the colt barrel but not the front half in front of the gas block.

Dimensions of the barrel contour are not defining features according to MSP.

It has to be marketed by the manufacturer as Heavy or HBAR or the barrel must be stamped as hbar.

A number of companies were stamping pretty much everything but a pencil profile for a while... I believe some still do.

According to MSP interpretation, who can stamp HBAR on the barrel is not specified either.

It's all a grey area... my advice is do what you are comfortable with.

For those who want to follow the strictest possible interpretation, Ballistic Advantage and Stag Arms (same parent companies) make 16 inch 5.56 barrels that are BOTH described by the manufacturer AND stamped HBAR on the barrel.

Do date, though, I have not heard of any cases brought against someone with a so-called banned configuration of an AR. I'd love to see if anyone has info on this.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    To my knowledge, MD code says the barrel has to be advertised as heavy, but makes no mention of dimensions that qualify.

No code is involved.

MSP gave a advisory, which carries zero force of law, about the guidance of what makes a HBAR a HBAR. In the advisory, they stated "it should be stamped or advertised as HBAR."

Take the MD Code/Law thing and throw it out of your mind. While I was still a MD resident, I bought barrels that were the .750 from the chamber to the gas block journal and it didn't matter. Why you say? Because the HBAR is not defined in the laws in any way.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    No code is involved.

MSP gave a advisory, which carries zero force of law, about the guidance of what makes a HBAR a HBAR. In the advisory, they stated "it should be stamped or advertised as HBAR."

Take the MD Code/Law thing and throw it out of your mind. While I was still a MD resident, I bought barrels that were the .750 from the chamber to the gas block journal and it didn't matter. Why you say? Because the HBAR is not defined in the laws in any way.
    And if someone traces the profile of the AR barrel profiles even the lightweight profiles of today would be HBAR. The earliest iterations of AR's had issues with barrel bursting under heavy firing regiments.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Soo,
    What happens when 10 years later the MSP are checking your AR at the range (just play along), The barrel is not stamped HBAR and the website page is long gone??
    How do you prove it was advertised as "Heavy or HBAR ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Soo,
    What happens when 10 years later the MSP are checking your AR at the range (just play along), The barrel is not stamped HBAR and the website page is long gone??

You keep your POs. I do...

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    That limits purchase to Stamped barrels or one listed "Heavy" or "Hbar" in the title. Many are called "Heavy Profile" or HBAR Profile" in the description paragraph, but not the "title" that would be on the PO,,

Did I mention I hate Maryland???

You keep your POs. I do...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That limits purchase to Stamped barrels or one listed "Heavy" or "Hbar" in the title. Many are called "Heavy Profile" or HBAR Profile" in the description paragraph, but not the "title" that would be on the PO,,

Did I mention I hate Maryland???

I personally I don't give a shit. That's a witch hunt they have to initiate.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Soo,

The ADVISORY that MSP released carries zero force of law. It is a suggestion, nothing more. There is no legal requirement for you to have to prove it is a hbar to their "standards", when they don't even have a standard codified in the law.

Enjoy the BGOS and the restrictions you place on yourself. That's what they want you to do.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I am coming to that conclusion,,
    I am graduating from the cheap $hit and looking more at the "not as cheap $hit"
    looking for a 223 Wylde Stainless 16" straight fluted heavy barrel.
    The Only thing I found labeled in the title or description is a cheap CBC and a Faxon,,, Faxon is OOS everywhere.
    Then I look at hvy fluted barrels that are the same profile as heavies,, but not labeled in the description :(

Got me thinking,,, what if you purchase what is obviously a hvy barrel "used" at a gun show,, but it is not stamped hvy,, just a hand written receipt.

The Stupidity of MD is really getting to me.

The ADVISORY that MSP released carries zero force of law. It is a suggestion, nothing more. There is no legal requirement for you to have to prove it is a hbar to their "standards", when they don't even have a standard codified in the law.

Enjoy the BGOS and the restrictions you place on yourself. That's what they want you to do.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am coming to that conclusion,,

I am graduating from the cheap $hit and looking more at the "not as cheap $hit"

looking for a 223 Wylde Stainless 16" straight fluted heavy barrel.

The Only thing I found labeled in the title or description is a cheap CBC and a Faxon,,, Faxon is OOS everywhere.

Then I look at hvy fluted barrels that are the same profile as heavies,, but not labeled in the description :(

Got me thinking,,, what if you purchase what is obviously a hvy barrel "used" at a gun show,, but it is not stamped hvy,, just a hand written receipt.

The Stupidity of MD is really getting to me.
    Nothing will happen to you. Again I will say it one more time for you. THERE IS NOTHING IN MD LAW STATING YOU MUST HAVE A BARREL THAT IS MARKED OR ADVERTISED AS HBAR, THAT IS A MSP ADVISORY. Nothing more needs to be said.

You are wrapping yourself around the axle for no reason at all. You are imposing restrictions on yourself that are not listed or codified in any law or code in MD.

Any further questions?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    H B A R

Attachments

• 69B78E77-103C-44E8-8676-F1D2E3C2DB0B.jpg
      69B78E77-103C-44E8-8676-F1D2E3C2DB0B.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 121

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The point is, there IS the MSP advisory.

And each person needs to decide how much risk they want to take. Even if the advisory does not have the force of law, you could be arrested, charged and have to pay the legal bills to fight it.

It is likely? Probably not. It is possible? Of course.

I prefer give people the information and let them decide how they want to proceed, but with both sides of the possibilities.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    And due to my profession and social standing,,, I am not willing to be the test case.
    My tolerance for "risk" is: If I followed the non binding advisory from the MSP I would feel confident in what I may own. And I would personally only buy if it was actually stamped,, As I am prone to loosing paperwork.

Final point is,, starting to lay plans to leave this Liberal, 3rd world infested state,, Not the State I grew up in for sure.

That said,, The "advisory" says you are "OK" if the seller advertises the barrel as "HBAR" . An enterprising individual could buy a few gross of SOCOM or SPR profile barrels and re-sell advertising them as heavy barrels. And the Buyers would be in compliance with the MSP Advisory

The point is, there IS the MSP advisory.

And each person needs to decide how much risk they want to take. Even if the advisory does not have the force of law, you could be arrested, charged and have to pay the legal bills to fight it.

It is likely? Probably not. It is possible? Of course.

I prefer give people the information and let them decide how they want to proceed, but with both sides of the possibilities.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Those pre-10/1/2013 lowers you all stocked up on would make this a non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom