• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've had a hankering for a revolver and wanted one that would be versatile and easy to carry. Not sure how iconic it is, but I have a Ruger SP101 with the 4.2 inch barrel on order. Hopefully it shows up before October. Already been waiting 3 months. :o

Full size revolvers are great, but too big (IMHO) to easily carry or slip into a brief case or bag. I had an SP101 years ago with a 2 inch barrel and didn't really care for it (I thought it was hard to control because of the short barrel) but when they came out with the 4.2 inch I knew that's the one I wanted. The SP101 is a very nicely made gun, versatile as it handles .38 special/38 +P/.357 magnum, and is really quite handsome I think. Can't wait to get it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367642187.617544.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367642197.184493.jpg

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I haven't seen a "help me pick a wheel gun" thread, so here it goes.

I'm trying to round out the collection and make my first revolver purchase before October. I've shot a few, but don't have enough experience or knowledge with revolvers to have a preference or to be able to key in on something I want.

I'm thinking something that is:

- fairly easy to locate/buy locally from an IP
    - iconic or has some historic significance, but still "modern" and practical
    - in a commonly-stocked caliber (.357 mag, etc.)
    - I'm leading toward S&W and Ruger
    - no preferences regarding SA vs DA
    - I'm a lefty, not that it should make a difference with a wheel gun, I assume...
    - fun to shoot, puts a smile on your face - above all else

I'm not really looking for consensus, just ideas to help me figure out what I want.

Thanks!

I'm a lefty as well and I really like the GP-100. I shoot one for IDPA SSR and I find it easier to push the cylinder release in with the knuckle of my trigger finger as I go for reloads. Whereas with a S/W, I swing my thumb over the hammer to push forward on the release.

I do shoot a 625 for ESR but I have the hammer bobbed to make it easier to get my thumb over.

I tried using my trigger finger knuckle to push the cylinder release on a S/W but all I could reliably do is take the hide off my knuckle.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I only have one and its a pretty sweet taurus 82 from engage.

Now to just find some nice grips and settle on a new finish.....

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I haven't seen a "help me pick a wheel gun" thread, so here it goes.

I'm trying to round out the collection and make my first revolver purchase before October. I've shot a few, but don't have enough experience or knowledge with revolvers to have a preference or to be able to key in on something I want.

I'm thinking something that is:

- fairly easy to locate/buy locally from an IP
    - iconic or has some historic significance, but still "modern" and practical
    - in a commonly-stocked caliber (.357 mag, etc.)
    - I'm leading toward S&W and Ruger
    - no preferences regarding SA vs DA
    - I'm a lefty, not that it should make a difference with a wheel gun, I assume...
    - fun to shoot, puts a smile on your face - above all else

I'm not really looking for consensus, just ideas to help me figure out what I want.

Thanks!

S&W 686/686+ (Or 586 from the classic line if you want a blued finish)

They are popular guns with solid aftermarket support. Very strong, reliable, quality firearms.

Barrel length is up to you, I prefer the longer barrels (5-6 inches) for range use/recreational shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j26aIgo667w

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    It will be a little hard to find, and you will definitely pay for it but it is worth it:

Colt Python.

It will happen eventually anyway, so dont fight it.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Id go with a Ruger Blackhawk, or a Freedom Arms if you want a 45LC. Stay away from modern Colt SAA, beside being pricey, they have a bad habit of uneven & greatly oversized cylinder sizes, and do not group as well as some of the other guns out there.

Id also would steer away from current Ruger New Model Vaquero's if you want to fire stout (+P) loads, the frames & cylinders are not beefy enough to handle them. Same goes with alot of the current S&W, Colt & Colt clones (Ubertis etc) in 45LC. There fine if you want to stick with regular cowboy loads.

You'll have fun with a 45LC especially if you handload. You can load them to mouse fart loads, or into lion roarers, that will kill big game.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Yeah a lot of great options but does anyone have them to buy? I've been wanting a .38/.357 type and would love to go ahead and get it.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    Yeah a lot of great options but does anyone have them to buy? I've been wanting a .38/.357 type and would love to go ahead and get it.

Thanks again for all the great ideas, everyone

I'm gonna hit the local stores on monday. I'll post here what I find that isn't sold. I did stop by OT on my way home from work. Nothing there but a LCR and a couple vequero birds heads that did really strike me.

Keeping an eye on the classifieds too.

In the past year or so I've bought three nice, vintage S&Ws, a 1956 4-screw K-22 and two M19-4s, a 4" and a 6". I paid considerably less for each of them than I'd have paid for new production from the S&W Classic Line, and personally like them better. So they're out there, you just have to look. Sad to say, people are even selling/trading their classic 6-guns to buy black rifles and high-cap pistols. Oh, and while I love our IPs, I've seen some real nice wheelguns at Chantilly.

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    A lot of great choices here. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I have a 3 in GP100. I'm 30 and this gun will easily outlast me with very minimal supervision. If you can only have one and want it to work forever even if you don't always treat it right, you can't go wrong with the GP100.

That said I do agree with of the earlier posts that the SW wheel guns are more elegant. The Ruger looks like a tank.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Id go with a Ruger Blackhawk, or a Freedom Arms if you want a 45LC. Stay away from modern Colt SAA, beside being pricey, they have a bad habit of uneven & greatly oversized cylinder sizes, and do not group as well as some of the other guns out there.

Id also would steer away from current Ruger New Model Vaquero's if you want to fire stout (+P) loads, the frames & cylinders are not beefy enough to handle them. Same goes with alot of the current S&W, Colt & Colt clones (Ubertis etc) in 45LC. There fine if you want to stick with regular cowboy loads.

You'll have fun with a 45LC especially if you handload. You can load them to mouse fart loads, or into lion roarers, that will kill big game.

I couldn't agree more. I just traded off my super blackhawk because my. 45 Colt will do everything the.44 mag will do.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I have the OLD (1974) Mod 60 and a 36. Both are good carry guns with .38 +P SJHP. These had been my official Off-Duty service weapons when we carried wheel guns. However for shooting fun, I love my S&W Mod 686 4". It's a .357 Mag, but I usually shoot .38 at the range for the economics.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    I would get any Smith&Wesson or Ruger chambered in .357 for stopping power and the bonus of .38 to help with ammo costs/availability. I would even get a used one in decent condition as these should last a long time.

I also think it would be neat to have an old Webley or Nagant - but ammo might be a pain in the a**.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom