• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I thought 64 days was bad, now I'm on day 79 I believe. Even though I already have one ND with him, no release until I get the ND on this one. Yea, I think I'm done with regulated purchases in this god forsaken state.

List of dealers releasing on time,

On Target 8th day with sign waiver
    2A Sales & Supplies 10th day release
    A1 uniform (restrictions)
    Shooters Discount (restrictions)
    Engage (restrictions)
    Constitution (restrictions)

I'm sure there will be more added very soon.

The ones who do not release is clear they are infringing on our 2A rights if the notice by MSP is true.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I thought 64 days was bad, now I'm on day 79 I believe. Even though I already have one ND with him, no release until I get the ND on this one. Yea, I think I'm done with regulated purchases in this god forsaken state.

Well the good news from the MSP for their weekly update is:
    "The Firearms Registration Section is currently processing applications received on March 21, 2013 for initial reviews while secondary reviews are working on applications received on March 06, 2013."

Last Friday they were on day 3/19 for initial reviews and 3/3 for secondary. So in the four work days this past week they were able to clear out 2 days worth of initial review applications and 3 days of secondary reviews. The update doesn't say how many initial reviews were passed over to secondary, but with them making ground on 3 days worth of secondary reviews there is some glimmer of hope. If my math is accurate, that means my 4/5 purchase may actually be through initial review on 1 July (or about 85 days from purchase). Yahoo!!!:sad20::sad20:

1st

May 6, 2013
    No joy

Read that and got excited:party29: went to my FFL who said they got the letter. I left there with OUT my rifle. 61 days and counting.

Talked to:
    Atlantic in Rockville: 'yes we received the letter, but we have no word from our owner yet. So, I cannot release on 8th day yet until we hear from him'.
    'We had someone else ask us the same thing today, so I hope we hear something from our owner soon'.
    I purchased my first gun from them. Early April.

Talked to Engage (long nice conversation):
    We will only release if you have a DC. Without that we simply have no way of checking if you had a firearm released within 30 days 'however we believe this 30 day rule is nonsense anyway'. Long story short: their policy has not changed. I have a transfer with them, late April.

In my opinion: no one wants to take responsibility. The MSP's letter still leaves responsibility on the FFL. For an FFL it is still better not to release than to get sued if they release on day 8 to a convicted felon who kills a person with the gun they sold. It does not matter if they released legally or not: the legal process is too costly and can put them out of business.
    MSP cannot tell them that it is OK to release, because they have not completed the required checks. They can only say that 'if the FFL does' they need to document.
    It's a catch 22.
    Not sure how FFl's that release have their a$$es covered, since if something goes wrong with the released guns, they are out of business. Legal fees alone.

Can MSP be blamed: no. If YOU were asked to do 4 days of work in one, you will say 'thats impossible'. If you then ask your employer to add 3 more resources, he'd say 'no money for that and training takes 8 weeks'.

Can the FFL be blamed: no... If YOU were asked to lend your gun to anyone you do not know (on your first meeting with them), you would say 'no way', unless you're stupid and want to risk time in jail or your livelihood.
    We consumers should have just purchased sooner.
    Additionally, I just read that we failed to raise the required amount of petitions.

Am I frustrated: YOU BET. My first purchase and have been waiting 8 weeks. Would I want my first purchase now? YOU BET. Can I wait: Not really, as I have no patience, but I have no choice. I should have purchased sooner. Woulda, coulda, shoulda......

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Talked to:
    Atlantic in Rockville: 'yes we received the letter, but we have no word from our owner yet. So, I cannot release on 8th day yet until we hear from him'.
    'We had someone else ask us the same thing today, so I hope we hear something from our owner soon'.
    I purchased my first gun from them. Early April.

Talked to Engage (long nice conversation):
    We will only release if you have a DC. Without that we simply have no way of checking if you had a firearm released within 30 days 'however we believe this 30 day rule is nonsense anyway'. Long story short: their policy has not changed. I have a transfer with them, late April.

In my opinion: no one wants to take responsibility. The MSP's letter still leaves responsibility on the FFL. For an FFL it is still better not to release than to get sued if they release on day 8 to a convicted felon who kills a person with the gun they sold. It does not matter if they released legally or not: the legal process is too costly and can put them out of business.
    MSP cannot tell them that it is OK to release, because they have not completed the required checks. They can only say that 'if the FFL does' they need to document.
    It's a catch 22.
    Not sure how FFl's that release have their a$$es covered, since if something goes wrong with the released guns, they are out of business. Legal fees alone.

Can MSP be blamed: no. If YOU were asked to do 4 days of work in one, you will say 'thats impossible'. If you then ask your employer to add 3 more resources, he'd say 'no money for that and training takes 8 weeks'.

Can the FFL be blamed: no... If YOU were asked to lend your gun to anyone you do not know (on your first meeting with them), you would say 'no way', unless you're stupid and want to risk time in jail or your livelihood.
    Additionally, I just read that we failed to raise the required amount of petitions.

Am I frustrated: YOU BET. My first purchase and have been waiting 8 weeks. Would I want my first purchase now? YOU BET. Can I wait: Not really, as I have no patience, but I have no choice. I should have purchased sooner. Woulda, coulda, shoulda......

It would suck for an FFL if they were sued for not releasing. Remember, by law, we're required to go through an FFL if we wish to exercise our 2A rights. In the case of a handgun, the law cannot restrict our rights indefinitely, which is why an 8 day release is allowed. It's not like the FFLs are doing us a favor here. If I could buy without an FFL, I would certainly do that. (Well, I can, but not legally.)

Your example is different, because you have no legal responsibility to lend your gun to anyone. Between guns I've had transferred that I paid for in full (and am now beyond the return period), as well as guns purchased at the dealer, I've held up my end of the deal, the MSP has legally held up their end, so who is stopping me from exercising my 2A rights?

People keep forgetting this this is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT that is being infringed. It's not complaining because a friend isn't sharing his toys that I have no right to own.

But yes, I wonder how many FFLs would start releasing legally on time if just one got sued for holding the gun indefinitely. And remember, once you purchase, you can't go to another FFL who is releasing on time. So you're locked in. There has to be some legal remedy to indefinite infringement of rights.

1st

May 6, 2013
    It would suck for an FFL if they were sued for not releasing. Remember, by law, we're required to go through an FFL if we wish to exercise our 2A rights. In the case of a handgun, the law cannot restrict our rights indefinitely, which is why an 8 day release is allowed. It's not like the FFLs are doing us a favor here. If I could buy without an FFL, I would certainly do that. (Well, I can, but not legally.)

Your example is different, because you have no legal responsibility to lend your gun to anyone. Between guns I've had transferred that I paid for in full (and am now beyond the return period), as well as guns purchased at the dealer, I've held up my end of the deal, the MSP has legally held up their end, so who is stopping me from exercising my 2A rights?

People keep forgetting this this is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT that is being infringed. It's not complaining because a friend isn't sharing his toys that I have no right to own.

But yes, I wonder how many FFLs would start releasing legally on time if just one got sued for holding the gun indefinitely. And remember, once you purchase, you can't go to another FFL who is releasing on time. So you're locked in. There has to be some legal remedy to indefinite infringement on rights.

You make good points and I get them. Being a small business owner myself, I understand risks. The (monetary) risk of being sued by someone who wants his firearm after 7 days (the legal responsibility you describe) is apparently lower than getting harassed by MSP for releasing early or getting sued when someone who obtained his gun without completing a background check and committing a crime. Not even sure if there is a legal requirement to release after 7 days. If there really is, then this would be easily settled by anyone walking in to an FFL. There are plenty of lawyers on this forum(this thread), so if that were the case, we would all have our firearms already.
    Not sure how many guns i.e. On target would have to sell to cover the extra insurance premium of extra liability risk. Apparently it is worth it to them.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant

Can the MD State Executive Office and Legislature be blamed for passing a ill-conceived law that will not deter crime, but will impede law abiding citizens from practicing their 2nd amendment rights? You bet your ass....I am a 45 year MD resident, and am already taking steps necessary to make MD my former state of residence. The criminals and their liberal enablers can have it.

Another one will be on it's way the day after MOM signed it...

I believe he signed the bill into law on May 16th.

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    Obviously my 3/7 didn't get done yesterday. Still no call.

Scarab

Sorry bud I was so expecting for you to get yours too since we were both about the same app date! It really sucks to hear its your first gun! Hang in there. I'm sure Monday is your day!

realgun84

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 23, 2013
    HOW THE FUKK AM I EVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET MY GUN IF IT TAKES MSP 7 DAYS TO GET THROUGH 1 DAY OF FURTHER REVIEWS!!!!!!!

I'm a March 21'er!!! I WANT ME SHYT!

Deerminator

Jul 5, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I am happy for you and hope you get some rounds in this weekend. Do you know if MSP faxed today (Saturday)?

I do not but it was from Hafer's and he's usually prompt about notifying. The kick in the nuts is I was going out of town for a week and can't pick it up until next Saturday. :sad20:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This is my first firearm purchase. It has been a miserable experience.

Scarab

Then they've achieved their goal, and the bill hasn't even taken effect yet! Sweet. Those MD politicians sure are effective.

Edit: The post- Oct. 1 "generation" of first-time purchasers will have an even greater burden, insult to their dignity, and monetary expense, unless this pos bill is struck down by the courts. We have it relatively easy, if the libs prevail.

Eam668

May 20, 2013
    Harford County,Md
    Can the MD State Executive Office and Legislature be blamed for passing a ill-conceived law that will not deter crime, but will impede law abiding citizens from practicing their 2nd amendment rights? You bet your ass....I am a 45 year MD resident, and am already taking steps necessary to make MD my former state of residence. The criminals and their liberal enablers can have it.

I believe he signed the bill into law on May 16th.

March 16 @ 10:30am, bought my Ruger SR9C at 2:30 the same day.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013

That's exactly what Annpolis wants to hear!

Personally, I'm not giving in no matter the pain level. I keep buying what I can - like stripped lowers for guns I'll probably never build but the paperwork continues to give this state grief and ammunition to those of us that want this unconstitutional crap lifted.

krb

Apr 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    List of dealers releasing on time,

On Target 8th day with sign waiver
    2A Sales & Supplies 10th day release
    A1 uniform (restrictions)
    Shooters Discount (restrictions)
    Engage (restrictions)
    Constitution (restrictions)

I'm sure there will be more added very soon.

The ones who do not release is clear they are infringing on our 2A rights if the notice by MSP is true.

Can I asked where you got this info? I have a 4/11 sitting at 2A. Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom