• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Single shot 22 short....with a maglight duct taped to it.

I'm of the mind that if the SHTF there will be two types of people: those who have a gun and those who don't. Granny with her .22 and gramps with his 30-30 will do just as well as folks here who have their own fire teams. Neither will be messed with by the roving bands of miscreants.

HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    I got so many lowers from South Carroll Sporting Goods that SCSG cannot be the only qualifier. lol Going to have to think about barrel selection, etc. Then again, SCSG did the transfer on my Benelli M4, so maybe the Benelli.

I've bought a whole bunch of guns from them, and I've been happy ever since.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    It is more like three or four. 1) PWS MK 2 in 7.62x51. This cartridge will do everything from hunting to fighting. 2) Modified BCM midlength Mod 0 in 5.56x45 for fighting, 3) Any robust bolt action rifle with iron sights and a quality scope in 7.62x51 (for ammo compatibility), 30-06, or 300 Win Mag for hunting and sniping. 4) Ruger 10/22 for small game, training etc.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    If I was still around after the first week, it would be whatever I cared to pick up off the ground. They'll be laying around everywhere.

Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    Colt AR 6721 with sling and Aimpoint because you can carry a shit load of ammo
    Glock 19 as a side arm.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    Colt 6920 SOCOM. Have a geisselle 2 stage in it and a cheap Sightmark HWS but otherwise not fooled around with. Also has a SureFire light on the rail (M951 I think)

Ha, that's my rifle and my trigger. My optics are red dot, but otherwise it's pretty much the same package. When the SHTF, I think we'll be equipped to hit back.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Short-Medium term unrest (<1 year) - LWRC IC Enhanced AR with ACOG and Streamlight TLR-1 HL.

Long term like an EMP- Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 with 10 round mags and Scout scope. I'd rather a Bolt-action for a simple durable platform if situation is long term.

Last edited:

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Seems like most people are going the AR or SKS route. Why no love for the standard AK in 7.62x39? I would choose a standard AK with a 75 round drum mag and as a backup a Glock 17 with a 33 round mag. Based on my watching of Zombie movies and shows reloading seems to be when bad things happen. Several AKs with drum mags ready and several Glocks with 33 round mags ready should suffice. New York reload is the best kind of reload.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Seems like most people are going the AR or SKS route. Why no love for the standard AK in 7.62x39? I would choose a standard AK with a 75 round drum mag and as a backup a Glock 17 with a 33 round mag. Based on my watching of Zombie movies and shows reloading seems to be when bad things happen. Several AKs with drum mags ready and several Glocks with 33 round mags ready should suffice. New York reload is the best kind of reload.

If I still had my Arsenal K-Var Bulgarian made AK (my most regrettable sale), I would give it serious consideration, but I figure .223 and .308 will be much easier to "acquire" in the USA after I run out of my own ammo.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I have a Rossi R971 in .357 Magnum. One of the characteristics in a good BOB gun is its ability to shoot multiple calibers. The .357 can also shoot .38 Special. That's one reason I also think my Glock 23Gen4 with a Lone Wolf Distributors 9mm conversion barrel is a great SHTF gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never understood this line of thinking. In a situation where you actually need to "bug out", you'd better have enough ammo with you, or waiting for you at your destination. If you're thinking you are going to just happen across some random ammo, and you increase your chances of it being usable just because your gun happens to also fire 38 special.... that just seems outrageously unlikely to me.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I've never understood this line of thinking. In a situation where you actually need to "bug out", you'd better have enough ammo with you, or waiting for you at your destination. If you're thinking you are going to just happen across some random ammo, and you increase your chances of it being usable just because your gun happens to also fire 38 special.... that just seems outrageously unlikely to me.

It's not an either/or situation. You need to have sufficient ammunition and you need to have firearms that can use a variety of ammunition. Every good plan has built in contingencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

To me the outrageously unlikely is just that .38sp and .357 mag aren't terribly common anymore. Coming across ammo you might be able to use should be a consider I think. However you are better off with a rifle or pistol that is going to use a very common caliber. Which IMHO in the states probably means .223/5.56 as number one, then .308/7.62, then 7.62x39 and finally .30-06 with just about everything else in the distance.

A 12 gauge shotgun is also likely to run across ammo it can use. For a pistol 9mm, full stop. Well, maybe .40.

I am just thinking what you are likely to find from military LE if you come across their supplies in some way, or run across an abandoned cabin, hunter who doesn't make it, etc. doesn't guarantee if you find ammo, that is what it'll be, but probably a lot more likely to be one of those.

Also IMHO, I love .308/7.62, but if the idea is carry a bunch, well .223/5.56 can basically pack twice as much ammo for the same weight and you also have a lot more suppressing fire and fewer reloads with 30rnds being standard in a mag instead of 20. With good shot placement you can take down medium game with a .223/5.56 still, even if not ideal. I'd rather have 300rnds of 5.56 on me bugging out than 140 rounds of .308.

But frankly if I am going by car I am taking everything if I think I have a couple of extra minutes. I could empty my locker and grab all of my ammo cans and cases in probably 2 minutes, 3 on the outside. 2 trips at a run for guns, maybe 4 trips at a run for all of the ammo cans and cases. It is only 6 long guns, 2 cases of ammo and 6 ammo cans. For now :D

If I had to make it 1 trip as fast as I can, I'd just grab the AR, my .50 cal can of mixed .223 and 5.56 and my .50 cal ammo can of magazines. A little more time and I'd throw my 12ga on my other shoulder and stack those .50 cans on my case of 12ga.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Because if you break an ejector on a AK pattern, it's out of commission until you can weld in a new ejector/rail. I'm not betting on being able to find a spot welder in the off-chance it does happen. Build quality and magazine fitment varies a lot, not an ideal setup for when shit goes sideways.

I respect the hell out of the platform, it's been doing it's job for over 60 years. But in THIS country, the AR is a better choice, solely based on popularity and parts availability.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Because if you break an ejector on a AK pattern, it's out of commission until you can weld in a new ejector/rail. I'm not betting on being able to find a spot welder in the off-chance it does happen. Build quality and magazine fitment varies a lot, not an ideal setup for when shit goes sideways.

I respect the hell out of the platform, it's been doing it's job for over 60 years. But in THIS country, the AR is a better choice, solely based on popularity and parts availability.

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom