Yet another "is this AR-15 URG/barrel legal in MD" thread... (Olympic Arms)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I guess I am dumb I thought you could move into MD and whatever firearms you brought in would be ok. Are you saying if you have non-MD compliant firearms you have to sell them before moving to MD? No biggie either way as once I escape from MD I will never be back.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I guess I am dumb I thought you could move into MD and whatever firearms you brought in would be ok. Are you saying if you have non-MD compliant firearms you have to sell them before moving to MD? No biggie either way as once I escape from MD I will never be back.
    You can't bring non-compliant firearms into MD unless they were purchased before the 2013 ban and you can prove it.

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm mostly just trying to think about circumstances in which date of manufacture would matter, since that was Russ' question. My point is: If the specs on the barrel don't vary across time (i.e., an OlyArms K3B CAR made in 1993 is identical in specs to one made in 2005), then the date of the advertisement/catalog should be irrelevant.
    Til the Maryland BGOS kicked in for everybody, gun guys have always defined a heavy barrel as the same measurement from the barrel nut out to the gas block. If you at least got that, I wouldnt worry about it
    I didn't realize that was part of the law. I didn't think MD actually had any description for what is and isn't an HBAR in the wording..
    It aint. Thats just a “guidance”, cuz the Stateys got asked a question they didnt know how to answer

Last I heard a “guidance” dont have the force of law

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA

You can't bring non-compliant firearms into MD unless they were purchased before the 2013 ban and you can prove it.
    Exactly. Elsewhere on this forum, you can read about my experience doing barrel swaps on two of my other AR-15 URGs in order to make them MD-compliant.
    Til the Maryland BGOS kicked in for everybody, gun guys have always defined a heavy barrel as the same measurement from the barrel nut out to the gas block. If you at least got that, I wouldnt worry about it

It aint. Thats just a “guidance”, cuz the Stateys got asked a question they didnt know how to answer

See attached - this is what my upper looks like under the handguards. Some taper at the beginning past the gas block, but not Gov-style. (On that note: Colt carbine HBAR barrels do change diameter mid-way between the barrel nut to the gas block journal, and so do the "heavy" 11.5" barrels that Colt provides for the FBI's carbines.)

Also: I know that the gas tube on my URG is well-used and needs to be replaced. It's on my to-do list for this upper.

Attachments

• MattFinals-OlyArmsK3BCAR-barrel1.jpeg
      MattFinals-OlyArmsK3BCAR-barrel1.jpeg
      101.1 KB · Views: 73
    • MattFinals-OlyArmsK3BCAR-barrel2.jpeg
      MattFinals-OlyArmsK3BCAR-barrel2.jpeg
      113.9 KB · Views: 76
    Last edited:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    It's a heavy barrel. Why are we still here?
    An exercise in figuring these things out for the future, I guess.

But yes, I'm planning to bring my URG to MD soon and run it on my lowers without a guilty conscience. (I'm trying to convert my OlyArms PCR 97 lower to a carbine and will pair the URG with it.)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're not missing anything , there is no logic . Don't try to figure it out , you'll just frustrate yourself .

It doesn't. But people will continue to comply because they are afraid of being the "test case" ...That's how this state "enforces" some of its gun laws..strictly through intimidation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom