• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeH

May 9, 2005
    I just found out that the wife of the deceased is a classmate of mine in high school. I don't know him, nor have I kept in touch with my classmate. However, this is so tragic.

Rest in peace.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Just by the sheer number of people carrying, there are bound to be accidents, pretty much no different than the millions of cars on the road, although the chances of an injury from carrying a firearm are probably a fraction of the chances of being injured in a car accident.

AAA teaches that over 40,000 people die on America's roads every year. Gun deaths: about 1,400. It's not even close. Brady, et. al. don't want to take cars away, just 'scary guns'.

It's a damn shame and my condolences to the family.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Most places here do not prohibit you from carrying. The place serving alcohol and parks ban is gone. I haven't been to a museum lately but unless they post it it is perfectly legal to carry in them. Since my bank is now Wells Fargo I don't have to take the Roscoe off.

I will say this again. Since I got a pocket sized pistol with a pocket holster, I've been carrying a LOT more than I used to. Anything that requires attaching equipment to my pants is a hassle. Dropping my pocket 9mm into my pants pocket is convenient, and the mags are small enough to be discretely carried. Carrying anything bigger involves either an IWB or a belt holster, and I prefer NOT to carry that way.

See what I mean? :D I haven't lived in the Commonwealth since 2000 and as a result, now all my info is out-of-date. Maybe I'm just lazy about trying to keep on top of all the changes but the way my luck runs, I would not be aware of one little thing and I'd have bizarre circumstance and Murphy's Law team up with hanging judge to send my virginal a-hole to the pokey.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I find I carry more with my family. If its just me and I choose not to carry- well I'm an adult and can make that decision and will have to live with the consequences. However I believe that I have a moral obligation to those I have care over to do anything in my power to protect them.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I find I carry more with my family. If its just me and I choose not to carry- well I'm an adult and can make that decision and will have to live with the consequences. However I believe that I have a moral obligation to those I have care over to do anything in my power to protect them.

You also have the moral obligation to defend yourself so you can go home to your family. I don't want my daughter to have to go back to her mother and since I've managed to get mugged and assaulted twice before I refuse to be a victim again.

danielw

Nov 4, 2008
    middle river md
    If you carry you should have enough sense to learn how to do it safely. If you don't it gives everyone else who does a bad name. I feel sorry for the guys family.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Bad

I'm sorry for the families loss and will pray for them. This seems to be an act of stupidity and of not using common sense. Unchambered and in a holster and no way without trying really hard will you shoot yourself or others.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    ^Unchambered is an awful idea, too. It is the opposite of a ND. Now when you need to discharge you can't.

Carry it properly and the gun will be ready when you need it.. ...er when the bad guy needs it.

Put it in a holster. Be intelligent and responsible and these things do not happen.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Agree; this is a negligence issue; if someone is going to carry concealed it means making decisions; one of those decisions must include always having it in a well-maintained and functional holster that covers the trigger. PERIOD.

It's unfortunate for the real victims, his wife and kids, but this guy made some bad decisions, the worst of which was to carry a loaded weapon without a holster, i.e. in an unsafe manner..

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    First, as has been said, always use a holster.

Second, carrying without one in the chamber is just a bad idea. I can't tell you what to do, and if you're really that uncomfortable with it, fine. But don't count on "situational awareness" to save you. Badguys don't like to give you the 5 seconds you'll need. If you're walking down the street and see something/someone that makes you uncomfortable, what are you going to do, take out your Glock and rack the slide? What if there was no actual threat and you get in trouble for brandishing/scaring a group of innocent youths out for an evening stroll?

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Though I don't know the deceased personally, I can say that he is highly educated and far from the stereotypical redneck. It is very sad that he chose to carry the GLOCK in such a manner.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    You couldn't pay me to carry a Glock with one in the pipe. Maybe, if I were a cop, or if I was doing hazardous duty in the military. But as a CCW carrier? Fuggedaboudit.

its not the weapon, its the human. if you CCW anything without a safety in your pocket with one in the pipe you are a stupid idiot. I bet he had it in his pocket. Best bet is not to blame the gun like a liberal, and dont blame the holster like an idiot.(tex grebner) blame the actual human error. (im not directing this toward you half-cocked, i dont mean it to seem that way. Its just an in general type thing:)) This is a sad story and it really sucks but it reminds us, to keep our shit squared away at all times.

just read it was in his waistband. DUNCEHAT to you sir. doesnt matter how edju-mucated one is, book smarts arent common sense. like i always say, common sense is still issued but is in short supply.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I get asked about the "Clip Draw" and other non holster carry options on a regular basis. To many people just don't get it. And for those that think carrying a gun with a safety in your pocket or waist band is safe then think again. Use a holster and save your family the grief of handling your funeral.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    This is why I like SA/DA guns with safeties. One less way for Murphy to get you.

*duck*

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    This is why I like SA/DA guns with safeties. One less way for Murphy to get you.

*duck*

Has nothing to do with Murphy and everything to do with proper training, equipment and practice. If your scared to carry a firearm in condition one then you probably should not carry one at all, all that does is tell me that you are a risk if you ever have to use the firearm to yourself and others due to lack of proper training, equipment and practice. Doesn't matter what you decide to carry you must get proper training, use the appropriate equipment and never stop practicing with that equipment doing it the way you were trained.

I feel very sorry for the family of this person, and as I have said before, those who get complacent about safety are going to pay the price and this guy paid the ultimate price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom