• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Probably a dumb question but what you guys using for sunblock? I got sunburnt pretty good Sunday and its on my mind.
    Sunbum spray bro!!! Works great and smells like heaven!!! Expensive for sunblock though I’m not going to lie. Giant started selling it two years ago so it’s pretty easy to find now. Used to only be in surf shops.

Back on track proud dad moment.
    Yesterday my son(5 yes old) told me he was going to go down in the creek pond area and go fishing. He packed a net with his fishing pole and bait. His bait of choice was red fruit snack gummies. He came running up the hill 5 mins later with a 7 inch creek chub attached to his hook. I quickly got it in a bucket and put it in the creek in the yard so we could revive it but he was so happy he did everything from start to finish by himself!

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpeg
      IMG_2843.jpeg
      532.5 KB · Views: 38

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Sunbum spray bro!!! Works great and smells like heaven!!! Expensive for sunblock though I’m not going to lie. Giant started selling it two years ago so it’s pretty easy to find now. Used to only be in surf shops.

Yesterday my son(5 yes old) told me he was going to go down in the creek pond area and go fishing. He packed a net with his fishing pole and bait. His bait of choice was red fruit snack gummies. He came running up the hill 5 mins later with a 7 inch creek chub attached to his hook. I quickly got it in a bucket and put it in the creek in the yard so we could revive it but he was so happy he did everything from start to finish by himself!
    Nice!!!

It’s a great feeling watching your kids grow up right!

Good job dad!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So much to like about this. Enjoy these years bro, they go by quickly.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Welp my trout count is at 67 for the season. With temps ramping and no rain up they won't last much longer in the creek behind my house. I did come upon a nice size smallmouth (guessing 16-18") tending to its bed. I'm going to try and catch it, hell maybe even net it, and relocate her to a deep hole. Where she is currently gets mighty shallow and slow running. No way she will survive there...

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Welp my trout count is at 67 for the season. With temps ramping and no rain up they won't last much longer in the creek behind my house. I did come upon a nice size smallmouth (guessing 16-18") tending to its bed. I'm going to try and catch it, hell maybe even net it, and relocate her to a deep hole. Where she is currently gets mighty shallow and slow running. No way she will survive there...
    If she's tending a 'redd' ,I would leave her be.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    If she's tending a 'redd' ,I would leave her be.
    Yes she is. I would not even consider disturbing her, but she really is not in a good location. If I leave her I do not think it will end well for her or the fry if they get to that stage. I will try to go down with a proper camera and take a picture today and post it up for your/others' comment as IANAB.

Edit: She has nowhere to go with this water level as she is locked in. I would feel much better if we had some rain in the forecast but alas...

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Yes she is. I would not even consider disturbing her, but she really is not in a good location. If I leave her I do not think it will end well for her or the fry if they get to that stage. I will try to go down with a proper camera and take a picture today and post it up for your/others' comment as IANAB.

Edit: She has nowhere to go with this water level as she is locked in. I would feel much better if we had some rain in the forecast but alas...
    I hear ya. It might actually be illegal to net her without first hooking her.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD

Rain is coming. We have serious storms moving in. If you move it dont take pictures and dont tell anyone. I dont believe its legal to just net them.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

That’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Rain is coming. We have serious storms moving in. If you move it dont take pictures and dont tell anyone. I dont believe its legal to just net them.
    Yeah, I'm honestly not concerned about the legality. If the DNR/NRP wants to fine me for moving a fish from one part of a stream to another, well they just can. The afore written is not to be meant in an ungracious fashion to either you or @outrider58 . I've attached a pic of the redd but alas without a polarized filter it ain't the best. @gtodave . If I can get her to cooperate, I'm leaning toward moving her. The other thing is, she is sitting on some unfertilized eggs. I have seen zero evidence of another mature bass in that hole. Anyway, eager to listen/learn...

Edit: Here's to hoping for rain...

Redd.JPG

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah, I'm honestly not concerned about the legality. If the DNR/NRP wants to fine me for moving a fish from one part of a stream to another, well they just can. The afore written is not to be meant in an ungracious fashion to either you or @outrider58 . I've attached a pic of the redd but alas without a polarized filter it ain't the best. @gtodave . If I can get her to cooperate, I'm leaning toward moving her. The other thing is, she is sitting on some unfertilized eggs. I have seen zero evidence of another mature bass in that hole. Anyway, eager to listen/learn...

Edit: Here's to hoping for rain...

View attachment 468431
    It's been my experience, knowing and working for experienced guides and PHDs, the female, after building the nest and laying the eggs, heads immediately for the shelter of deeper water. In smaller streams, that can meant another pool all together. They'll actually lie on the bottom with their bellies in the silt for the first few days. I believe this is a recuperative measure.

The male, then takes over parental duties of guarding the nest against marauders of both the eggs and later, the fry.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    It's been my experience, knowing and working for experienced guides and PHDs, the female, after building the nest and laying the eggs, heads immediately for the shelter of deeper water. In smaller streams, that can meant another pool all together. They'll actually lie on the bottom with their bellies in the silt for the first few days. I believe this is a recuperative measure.

The male, then takes over parental duties of guarding the nest against marauders of both the eggs and later, the fry.
    Listening and learning...Thanks B

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I went to Piney Run Yesterday and only managed to catch a bunch of yellow perch and 1 nice rainbow trout. Really thought the bass bite would have been better. Water temp was 60deg. Bass should be active.
    Just got back, it’s on right now. The water hit 70 right before we left which is about how many fish we caught today.
    IMG_3923.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3921.jpeg
      IMG_3921.jpeg
      494.4 KB · Views: 16
    • IMG_3910.jpeg
      IMG_3910.jpeg
      394.6 KB · Views: 15
    • IMG_3897.jpeg
      IMG_3897.jpeg
      411.1 KB · Views: 15
    • IMG_3895.jpeg
      IMG_3895.jpeg
      300.5 KB · Views: 18
    Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Probably a dumb question but what you guys using for sunblock? I got sunburnt pretty good Sunday and its on my mind.
    I use the Sunbum 70 spf cream. It’s not extra thick and doesn’t make me feel gross until I wash it off. It also works really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom