Which AK to buy when the MD ban gets struck down?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    I don’t know much about AKs except that I want one (wolverines). There seems to be a ton of conflicting views online about what to look for. Of the AKs that are available on the market now, which would you recommend and why?

I assume there will be a short window between when the ban gets struck down and when the MD legislature tries new shenanigans to make it impossible to get one, so I’m looking for something easy to buy, not rare holy grails.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'd buy the latest PSA AK now if I could. Lifetime warranty if I recall. My buddy in PA has one and loves it. Maybe a Sar 1 or WASR.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I don’t know much about AKs except that I want one (wolverines). There seems to be a ton of conflicting views online about what to look for. Of the AKs that are available on the market now, which would you recommend and why?

I assume there will be a short window between when the ban gets struck down and when the MD legislature tries new shenanigans to make it impossible to get one, so I’m looking for something easy to buy, not rare holy grails.

Greetings from a (soon to be) fellow MoCo resident. (And yes, I would have rather stayed on the VA side of the line.)

Personally, I'm not so certain that FSA 2013 will be going anywhere any time soon. Now that Wes Moore is about to become governor, and with all of the recent Democratic attempts nationwide to impose new gun bans, I'm at least counting on similar restrictions being attempted here. They'll fail, but those efforts will also slow the momentum for loosening existing gun laws, because those of us on the pro-RKBA side will be on the defensive for quite some time.

With that being said, what caliber AKs are you looking for? As I'm sure you've heard, 5.45 and 5.56 AK rifles are still legal in MD (as long as they're not made by Kalashnikov) - just not 7.62 AKs. And AK pistols in all calibers are still legal. You might even be better off buying an AK in 5.45 or 5.56 even if you weren't living in MD.

Last edited:

BPH102687

I like things and stuff, mostly stuff.
    Apr 11, 2021
    Ellicott City

Here to read the replies. I have no need for an AK, but I have plenty of want for an AK

BPH102687

I like things and stuff, mostly stuff.
    Apr 11, 2021
    Ellicott City
    I'd buy the latest PSA AK now if I could. Lifetime warranty if I recall. My buddy in PA has one and loves it. Maybe a Sar 1 or WASR.
    I’ve never owned anything PSA to speak to their quality, but man do they make it hard to resist btw what they put out and their pricing. Especially on the blems

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD

The Century Arms VSKA is Maryland legal, I picked one up a few years ago at Tyler Firearms in Halethorpe, MD.

20c912d5d0483d55b68896dcc11b113e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    PSA hands down. They're likely the best AK for the money currently available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom