What training are YOU planning to take in 2015?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I would love to take a class with Howe too. He seems like the real deal - been there, done that.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hi all,

I started a similar thread just about a year ago. In the last two years I've taken 10 firearms classes and one "tactical medicine"-type class. As most of the schools/instructors have full or partial schedules up, I thought I would see what people are planning to take.

In 2014 my goal was mainly to focus on improving with the handgun, the gun I am most likely to defend myself with (I don't stroll around with an AR on my back). Of the 7 classes I took in 2014, 6 were handgun-based. I definitely learned a lot and improved in skills, techniques, and even using a handgun in a tactical environment.

This year, I would like to continue to work on handgun skills but also start to address some self-proclaimed "holes in my game".

As my kids are now 4 and involved in more weekend stuff, finding the time for classes is tough. So far, I have registered for the following classes:

1. The 3 hour SIMS class at Free state, primarily so then I will be "certified" to be able to draw and fire there on future range trips. That's on February 28th.

2. In April, a knife combative course with Tom Sotis, founder of AMOK! Combatives. This will be in Chantilly, VA. He comes highly recommended by a few people I know who have trained with him, including one acquaintance who works in the paramilitary end of "the agency", who brings Tom in several times per year to train his people.

3. In May I will travel back to CSAT in Nacogdoches, TX, for my second 3 day course with Paul Howe. This time, it will be his brand new Urban Defense Course, which is handgun and carbine-based. This is my Christmas present from my wife. Very excited to train with Paul again.

4. In August I will be taking the two-day Level Two Combative Pistol class with Jeff Gonzales in Palmyra, PA. Jeff is an ex-Navy Seal and his company, TriCon, is now affiliated with Alias Training, which is a win in my book. This figures to be a very challenging class. VERY high round count and my understanding is that he scores every round you fire. If you don't score an 80%, no certificate for you.

I will probably add 1-2 more classes, most likely in the Fall (trying to spread them out a bit). Under consideration are another Suarez class, Matt Jacques of Victory First, our local Center Mass Combat Tactics and Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy, and maybe another course with Mike Pannone of CTT Solutions. I would also like to check out Annapolis Defense. I will update this thread on those plans, and will write AARs of each class I take in separate posts, as usual.

So......what are you taking?

I would love to take a class with Howe too. He seems like the real deal - been there, done that.

I have not yet attended any training from Howe, although I have a few of his training DVD's; they deliver.

Last year was mostly about knife, stick and open hand training for me; this year I'm focusing on tactical rifle and speed draw (again).

I'm also looking forward to Annapolis Defense and Security (ADS) offerings, I understand they are working up some new courses for all skill levels and will be announcing these soon. This should include integration of open hand (Krav style) and weapons.

rdblan2

Mar 10, 2007
    RSO course next weekend with what looks like at least two other people in this thread!

And pretty much anything else I can find. I'd like to do a personal protection outside the home, pistol instructor, and a carbine course.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I signed up for a one day class in april by frank Garcia - ipsc/uspsa superman etc. not sure he can do anything with old, fat and slow but we'll see...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hoping to get into a class of Clandestine's. Probably a long waiting list, though.:sad20:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I just finished up my AED/CPR/First Aid refresher class. I conducted an NRA RSO class for a new set of volunteer RSOs at Elk Neck State Forest Range.

Looking forward to attending one of Clandestine's AR15 classes (assuming he offers them again). Looking to learn more about IDPA and IPSC shooting too!

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Maryland Wear and Carry Permit training just went to the top of my list. Hoping to have that out of the way in the next couple weeks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hoping to get into a class of Clandestine's. Probably a long waiting list, though.:sad20:

Same here :popcorn:

I just finished up my AED/CPR/First Aid refresher class. I conducted an NRA RSO class for a new set of volunteer RSOs at Elk Neck State Forest Range.

Looking forward to attending one of Clandestine's AR15 classes (assuming he offers them again). Looking to learn more about IDPA and IPSC shooting too!

If each of you can, shoot me a P.M. with a title AR Class. You will be part of my first notifications. I'm hoping to have the first one on 3/28.

Thank you all for the interest.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If each of you can, shoot me a P.M. with a title AR Class. You will be part of my first notifications. I'm hoping to have the first one on 3/28.

Thank you all for the interest.

Please keep us updated. I want a basic AR thing but i get married a few days before.

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    Wow long thread it great to see folks training! :)

1) In March I am taking NODF at Max Velocity Tactical . Its a night vision use and Night firing class w/ nightvision. Since I now have my personal PVS 14 and DBAL I expect to get a lot out of it.

2) I will take at least one more Combat Team Tactics (CTT) from the same vendor, to knock off the rust in infantry skills,.... especially with regards to movement, comms under fire , react to fire left/right/front, peeling etc etc

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I would like to take a MD wear and carry class if I can find one that fits my work schedule. I think my business would qualify me for a carry license.

I don't want to take a weekday off for it, because I need to maintain my G&S cash flow. It's hard to give up an entire weekend for a class. I don't see anyone giving evening classes. A combined MD and Utah class would really be nice.

I'm hoping changes in leadership will expand concealed carry and make for more opportunities to take the 16 hours of training.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    I'm going to be taking the ASP baton, OC, and handcuff instructor course. combative training (Krav, Jeet kune do, and Kali), and working on plans for a few high-speed guest instructors.

ADS will have lots of training for all tastes and skill levels this year. We can also make our facility available for other instructors as a training location. Minuteman is right, we are adding some offerings from the devious minds of the Israeli Tactical School. We're building up our unarmed and non-firearms combatives programs to include a Jeet Kune Do and Kali program. And we discovered that a four hour Simunition CQB training session is the most incredible birthday party in the world for a 16 year old boy and his friends!

We can put together any training program you can think of. We have a policy of bring 4 and you name the class, bring six and one more for free, bring 10 and we kick back a little commission.

I have been doing wear and carry permit training on demand as there hasn't been much demand for it. The minute that the superintendent declares self defense to meet the G&S threshold, I'll schedule a $75 16 hour initial issue class for the first 15 people to sign up.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I am the first generation in my family to own a firearm, so I did not have the advantage of having my Dad or Uncle or older brother teach me the basics. I took (and passed!) the NRA basic pistol and basic rifle classes, and I've been to the range several times to shoot a few rounds from both my semi-automatic pistols and AR's. I'm now looking for some training on two things: (a) how to clean my AR's. The instructor demonstrated this during my NRA basic rifle class but we did not get to do it hands-on and so a refresher would be very useful in making sure that I did everything right when disassembling and reassembling the firearm and thus preventing any injury when I resumed shooting, (b) I am keen to learn more about scopes. I've read a lot about them but hands-on instruction using different types of scopes mounted on pistols and rifles would be very helpful in teaching me about the basic types of scopes, how to mount and adjust them, etc.

I'm more than willing to pay for a few hours of 1:1 instruction at a mutually convenient time (preferably on a afternoon Friday or over a weekend).

If anyone is interested in teaching a newbie a few more firearm related skills, please contact me and I'll be delighted to learn from you.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68

Last edited:

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    I am the first generation in my family to own a firearm, so I did not have the advantage of having my Dad or Uncle or older brother teach me the basics. I took (and passed!) the NRA basic pistol and basic rifle classes, and I've been to the range several times to shoot a few rounds from both my semi-automatic pistols and AR's. I'm now looking for some training on two things: (a) how to clean my AR's. The instructor demonstrated this during my NRA basic rifle class but we did not get to do it hands-on and so a refresher would be very useful in making sure that I did everything right when disassembling and reassembling the firearm and thus preventing any injury when I resumed shooting, (b) I am keen to learn more about scopes. I've read a lot about them but hands-on instruction using different types of scopes mounted on pistols and rifles would be very helpful in teaching me about the basic types of scopes, how to mount and adjust them, etc.

I'm more than willing to pay for a few hours of 1:1 instruction at a mutually convenient time (preferably on a afternoon Friday or over a weekend).

If anyone is interested in teaching a newbie a few more firearm related skills, please contact me and I'll be delighted to learn from you.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68

Cal, I'd be happy to give you some instruction on cleaning and maintenance of your rifles and the use of optics. I can definitely help you master the basics and understand the how and why of optics. Selecting optics is a different matter. That is the intersection between desired performance and budget! Shoot me a PM and we can work out some details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom