• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    During the week, Elk Neck State Forest is a good time. Not very busy and usually frequented by people who know what they are doing. However, on the weekends the place is packed after 10AM and there's usually a good chance of a range ninja or two making an appearance.

Nevertheless, this place at its worst is much better than Horst and McCann at its best.

I do not think of the RSOs as range ninjas! They are there to make sure everyone is shooting safely and not abusing the range.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    At lot of People make the trip up to the AGC. Its a little drive but worth it. It should be under your hour requirement assuming traffic is not really bad.

pc1256

Jan 21, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My personal favorite is MSAR, but that's only if you plan on using rifle.
    The pistol side, don't even think about it. People handling their pistols unsafe, swinging it around without safety...etc.

I tried Gilberts, until I found out I need to use their ammo. So, stay away from them, unless you want to spend doubled the price for ammo.

Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    Called Gilbert's yesterday - I thought $40 a box for 50 rounds of .45 ACP was, uh, a bit steep to put it politely. Took some of my own ammo and drove a few extra miles to the NRA range in Fairfax instead. I had never been there before. The staff made me feel right at home as soon as I walked thru the door. As you might imagine at NRA headquarters, everything was well kept and state of the art, particularly the digital target positioner that can be set in feet, meters, yards. That was cool. It's a little bit of a drive from Frederick but, until I'm accepted at one of the local clubs, I'll keep going back. I'm also looking forward to when The Machinegun Nest completes construction of their indoor range. I called yesterday and they said 'probably' June.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I like "Free State" in Middle River followed by "On Target" in Jessup. For long range (200yds Max) I usually drive to the Hap Baker Shooting Facility in Carrol County. If I had a private range that one would be my favorite...

WillyD

Recreational Shooter
    Mar 21, 2014
    Called Gilbert's yesterday - I thought $40 a box for 50 rounds of .45 ACP was, uh, a bit steep to put it politely. Took some of my own ammo and drove a few extra miles to the NRA range in Fairfax instead. I had never been there before. The staff made me feel right at home as soon as I walked thru the door. As you might imagine at NRA headquarters, everything was well kept and state of the art, particularly the digital target positioner that can be set in feet, meters, yards. That was cool. It's a little bit of a drive from Frederick but, until I'm accepted at one of the local clubs, I'll keep going back. I'm also looking forward to when The Machinegun Nest completes construction of their indoor range. I called yesterday and they said 'probably' June.
    Kolholznik, won't you have to buy their ammo at Machine Gun Nest also?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The requirement to buy ammo at Gilbert's was forced on him by the Montgomery County Zoning Commission and County Council

I don't think Frederick County is as draconian as the lords in Mo Co.

But I don't know about FC.

Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kolholznik, won't you have to buy their ammo at Machine Gun Nest also?

They didn't mention it but, as long as their prices are reasonable I wouldn't be opposed to it. $40 for a box of .45 ACP @ Gilbert's is ridiculous.

Heading to 340 Defense this afternoon. I'll post a report when I get back.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I've been going to MSAR but I've just had it with those guys. Won't do Gilbert's since I can't bring my own ammo.
    Anyone got a local range they like? I know there are some great ranges up north and down in VA but I'm hoping to find something that won't take an hour or more to drive to. If I have to drive, so be it. But I'm hoping there's something close by that I just don't know about.
    I'm in Silver Spring just off of 29 and Randolph (Fairland).

Since you're on the 29 corridor, Just drive north to On Target in Jessup.

Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    I spent a couple of hours at 340 Defense yesterday - just a few minutes past Charles Town, WV. Not bad but, basic - unfortunately, no covered firing positions so don't bother going out there when it's raining. I met Jerry and purchased a $35 Annual 'Hourly' membership...$20 per hour after that. I thought that was reasonable considering I had the pistol range pretty much to myself. Wear boots! I didn't and spent the better part of 15 minutes cleaning my shoes after I was finished shooting. I like that it's only a 35 minute drive from my place in Frederick, though - an easy jaunt down Rt. 340. If you're looking for a decent place to shoot outdoors, I would recommend 340 Defense.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I stopped going to MSAR when they started using magnets on my ammo. I can't shoot Tula at MSAR; I can shoot Tula at NRA.

I shoot tul ammo at MSAR all the time, as its notoriously cheap and easy to find in 9mm.

As long as your bullets are not steel jacketed and you have your own gun they have never checked my ammo. Maybe they don't care since I'm shooting pistols and shotguns . [on the rifle side], but when I take my S/O or her friends or my friends [aka new gun owners] we go to the pistol side.

Many new shooters go to MSAR for their first exposure to guns. My dad took me to the old range they used to have years ago. I have had several friends who I have personally introduced to firearms at MSAR, and I have witnessed many 'new' people there. Unfortunately some new people can be careless, [this is why my first range session is in my basement, with snapcaps]. Once they pass the 'snapcap/airsoft pistol' test they can go with me to the range.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I hear occasional complaints about some of the people that use the MSAR who some describe as "less than savory". However, in fairness, the MSAR is a public range located in PG County which has a very strict anti-discrimination law. As a public range the staff cannot refuse service to anyone without a lawful reason. Last year they were sued by a male who objected to them having a "Ladie's Day" which he claimed was "discriminatory".

Sometimes people see "bad behavior" on the range, but don't report it to the staff. If they don't know about it, they can't do anything about it. They can eject patrons that don't follow safety rules if they see it or it is reported to them. I have seen them do so.

Overall, it is a nice facility. You can bring your own ammo, unlike some ranges that require you to buy it from them, as long as it doesn't damage the backstop. That seems reasonable.

I just want to second your opinion. MSAR has been very helpful and they will take time with you, and are pleasant to people who may be less-than-knowledgeable. Everyone starts off the same, crawling, and so for people who have less experience with firearms, looking to purchase one, or have friends or family that want to shoot, its a good range.

I travel for work, and I have visited states [FLorida for example] where the public ranges are much different. NO gun rentals, High range fees, cant shoot your own ammo, etc.

MSAR is my favorite range.
    MSAR is inexpensive. If you have your own ears/eyes/targets/ammo/gun, you basically can shoot all day for 20 bucks.
    MSAR is convenient for people like myself who live inside the beltway.
    MSAR staff is friendly and it is a family orientated environment.

If you witness unsafe behavior, it is your responsibility and obligation to report dangerous individuals. I have witnessed them kick someone out for walking around with an unholstered gun. They have also refused to allow people on the range who appear impaired , or smelled impaired [weed smokers, drinkers, all types.]

I have shot at some of the other ranges in the area, and was not impressed by rude staff, or poor facilities.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Are there any ranges in Maryland that permit shooting steel targets with centerfire guns?

Generally you can't shoot steel with centerfires at the AGC, however one of the clubs has been getting approval to do several centerfire steel shoots per year there.

jamesriver

Dec 8, 2009
    Aspen Hill
    I officially like Cresap after going there for the second time today. It helped, I suppose, that it was basically deserted because of the weather -- there were more range officers than shooters. All nice guys and my friend and I spoke with a few of them.

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    Best range in the DC region is the new MSAR. They allow you to do anything besides shoot incendiary/steel. Cool staff, no hassle. NRA range is very nice, but they run it like a pharmacy. They watch your every move, annoy the heck out you, and don't want your gun powder messing up their pretty white floors.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Best range in the DC region is the new MSAR. They allow you to do anything besides shoot incendiary/steel. Cool staff, no hassle. NRA range is very nice, but they run it like a pharmacy. They watch your every move, annoy the heck out you, and don't want your gun powder messing up their pretty white floors.

I asked them if I could load my mags while waiting for a lane... I told them I would keep the firearm away.. they said no..
    then I was told I cant shoot with my slidefire (all my shots were hitting the target)
    there is no rule against it .. and I was being responsible with it.. and ive seen people shoot bumpfire stocked weapons there before

But theyll let dozens of groupon people in that dont know anything about guns come in and shoot up the ceilings and walls...

*sigh*

normally they are good to go though.

Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    NRA range is very nice, but they run it like a pharmacy. They watch your every move, annoy the heck out you, and don't want your gun powder messing up their pretty white floors.

To be fair, that really wasn't my experience. Sure, they kept an eye on me to ensure that I wasn't a nimrod doing anything unsafe but, after about 20 minutes or so they let me shoot in peace. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was also cool to finally visit the HQ of an organization I've belonged to for so many years. The only down-side was the guy in the lane next to me shooting a Desert Eagle .44 - concussion from that thing had me flinching a little, to put it mildly. Fortunately, he was done after about 50 rounds!

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I asked them if I could load my mags while waiting for a lane... I told them I would keep the firearm away.. they said no..
    then I was told I cant shoot with my slidefire (all my shots were hitting the target)
    there is no rule against it .. and I was being responsible with it.. and ive seen people shoot bumpfire stocked weapons there before

But theyll let dozens of groupon people in that dont know anything about guns come in and shoot up the ceilings and walls...

*sigh*

normally they are good to go though.

I was there this sat. Took a first time shooter with me. We got to MSAR at 11:30, was told there was a 2 hour wait, took our ticket, gave the lady a # for text messages. >Went to lunch, drove over to RealCo guns on Marboro Pike, and was promptly ignored for about 40 minutes.. Went back to MSAR, talked with people for another 40 minutes, and then we shot for about 2 hours.

...On a crowded saturday, I'd say magazine loading is a bit much in the waiting room, wont really save you any real time, and is more of a 'look at me' high profile move IMHO. .. Next people will be pulling out guns and cleaning them on the tables. Most people [I do] load your mags at home, or before you come inside, plenty of people filling mags in the parking lot, or wait until you have a lane.

Since its a public range they have to be aware of the people who are first timers, and may not be too comfortable with people having piles of ammo out and such.. That stuff will mushroom believe that.

Bumpfire/slidefire weapons, ya I can see them being a little unhappy about that. If you saw someone doing it, the range officer didnt see it for sure, they send you home for stuff like that.

The groupon people come in, shoot a box and leave. They rent guns. THey sign up for classes. They buy things. Those are the folks the business makes $$ on. Keeps the lease paid and the utilities on, employees employed. I say bring more of those Groupon and Livingsocial deal people. Maybe they will keep the prices low. The gun range doesn't make much $$ on people like me [and maybe you] who bring our own goodies to the party, and only need a lane,maybe a few targets. I will buy a box of ammo but for the most part I come prepared, and you probably do as well friend. If im by myself I don't even go on the weekends, because I can sit in the range for several hours shooting and doing practice drills.

All said MSAR is popular, and until more ranges open up who can offer a clean, fairly friendly atmosphere it will continue to be popular. If you're an 'advanced' or 'special' shooter you may be a person that is better suited to going to a private or members only range.

Can you imaging being in rifle range and sitting next to someone 'practicing' their bump fire ar? I wouldn't want to be near that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom