• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Cresap is the only one close to me, and it's a decent range and very well run but.....

It's only open one day a week and, if the weather is nice, it's usually jammed; at least it has been the times I've gone. My new go to range, as soon as it opens, will be TMGN in Frederick, our first indoor range. My wife and I already have our memberships, just waiting for them to finish construction.

In case there is someone left who hasn't heard about it...http://themachinegunnest.com

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    "Someone in the industry" isn't much of a cite.

I prefer, out if respect to the individual, not to publicly quote them by name in a public forum without their consent. Sorry if that offends you, but if that were you who spoke to me, you might appreciate my erring on the side of not conveying publicly what was a private conversation and quoting you by name.

All I know is that I have now heard from two separate industry sources now that Gilbert's has never been required by MoCo that only allow only their ammo may be used at their range. I am not guaranteeing this is true: I'm just passing these opinions on for discussion.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Just get in the car and drive up Route 29 to the AGC ranges at Marriottsville. Its a great range, 50 pistol positions, 100 any firearm positions at the 100 yard range, and a 200 yard rifle range.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    I have had mostly good luck with MSAR. As of May first they are raising the price of the shotgun rifle lanes to $35 for 2 people. Almost doubling their current prices of $20.

GDI!!!!! I was going about every other week. guess it was too good to last. at $35 per lane, I expect every damn light to be working including the 2 lights overhead in the booth.

any word on membership prices yet at MSAR?

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    at $35 per lane, I expect every damn light to be working...

I was talking to a MSAR employee; it's the customers that shoot out the lights. The range is designed so the lighting fixtures are quite recessed up in the baffles, but one look at the bulletholes all over the place and you can guess why the lights are often out. Unfortunately, the cost of constant repairs are one reason for the price increase.

It's like the shot-out structures at Myrtle Grove. Lots of people just can't shoot worth a damn.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    This is from another thread on MDS but it was taken DIRECTLY from Gilbert's website.

"Ammunition
    We have a wide variety ammunition available. Under our special exception to operate an indoor shooting range, Montgomery County placed the requirement that all ammunition be purchased and consumed at the facility. The reasoning behind this requirement was based on safety in order to prevent incendiary, armor piercing and unsafe hand loads onto the range. Also, they did not want guns and ammo together in the car while driving around the County, even though it would have been perfectly legal going to and from a range."

I enjoy On Target up on Rt 175 in Jessup. Also go to Blue Mountain Arsenal (?) in Chantilly, VA. Nice people working at both places.

I was one of the original members of Gilbert, but that place was sooo annoying! I realize they are regulated by Montgomery County, but really! Ammo, target, etc... I never renewed my membership after the first year.

The NRA Range is pretty cool, but it is usually a longer wait.

Last edited:

Pinion

Jun 4, 2014
    Hagerstown, MD
    I shot at the old and new MSAR, didnt care for the old one. The rifle on the new side as other stated is nice, avoid the pistol only side. But i would have to agree with Daemon what he described is ideal and what i grew up with being able to do.

raif10

Apr 6, 2013
    I like "Free State" in Middle River followed by "On Target" in Jessup. For long range (200yds Max) I usually drive to the Hap Baker Shooting Facility in Carrol County. If I had a private range that one would be my favorite...

Since you're on the 29 corridor, Just drive north to On Target in Jessup.

I haven't had a good experience at OT in a long time. Very uninformed staff, mall-ninjas and generally obnoxious staff.

I DO on the other hand highly recommend the AGC Range in Marriotsville. Really, really nice facility. Been going there for well over a year and have never once had to wait to shoot on the pistol or either rifle range. WELL worth the price of admission; which is less than $200 all in for a year.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Monocacy Pistol Club or the farm where I live in WV. Peacemaker if the need arises. But I can shoot to at least 500 yards at the farm if I want to put a target out that far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom