• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    My 2 favorites , my CZ P-01 for al the CZ reasons mentioned and my HK P7M8, dead nuts accurate. Best of all my 9MM's. Super trigger and slim enough to carry.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Interesting thread. Without a doubt I would say in the US the best kept secret is CZ. IMHO, they make some the best in the world.

This is my CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom with a bunch of additional custom work done at Cajun Gun Works. It is the best pistol I own and I can't imagine it will be beat.

One of the things that makes a CZ so great is that a trigger job from a very good smith can make the trigger feel like a 1911, as mine does.

DSC_9526_zps9bcd838a.jpg

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness in 9mm. Basically, a CZ75 clone. Mine was a tack driver right out if the box, and it only cost a shade over $300. My favorite pistol (even including my CZ82). I routinely pass over my Sig P226 and S&W Highway Patrolman for it when going to the range.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Sig P250 that you can get exchange kits to change both size and caliber.

Good thought, but now that the p320 is out I would side with that one. My wife has a 250 and it's nice but I'm not a fan of the trigger. Friend has a 320 and can't find much wrong with it at all.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    My 2 favorites , my CZ P-01 for al the CZ reasons mentioned and my HK P7M8, dead nuts accurate. Best of all my 9MM's. Super trigger and slim enough to carry.

Does that describe your sighting-in targets??:lol2:

Agree with the CZ's. Great guns, huge value for the dollar, not as much recognition as they should have.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    Best handgun to fit a man's hands. Reliable and gorgeous to boot.

Smith and Wesson Pre Model 10

CCWsSmithWessonMPpre-102inchOctober1946-May302011-011-1.jpg.html

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Interesting thread. Without a doubt I would say in the US the best kept secret is CZ. IMHO, they make some the best in the world.

This is my CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom with a bunch of additional custom work done at Cajun Gun Works. It is the best pistol I own and I can't imagine it will be beat.

One of the things that makes a CZ so great is that a trigger job from a very good smith can make the trigger feel like a 1911, as mine does.

DSC_9526_zps9bcd838a.jpg

What trigger/hammer/spring/etc work have you had done to it? I have a SP-01 and I've been thinking about going the CGW or the CZ Custom Shop route with it for some time. Plus some walnut Nill grips, but that's just because I love the look of them.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    The single action is at 1 pound. The DA is about 4.5 pounds (if I recall correctly). Both are extremely smooth and predictable. The trigger brakes like glass and in the exact same way every time. Also, the reset is virtually nonexistent and it's a firm wall. The trigger brakes exactly where it resets. I just can't imagine a better trigger.

Here is a list of what I have. The list could be more specific as far as weights, but this is what I have.

CZC competition package (This is how the pistol came to me. I'm not sure exactly what they used but I wasn't impressed overall)
    CZC short reset trigger (I kept this, but CGW modified it.)
    CZC thin aluminum aggressive checker grip
    CZC original 85c trigger with over-travel screw (This is a personal choice. The trigger it came with was pinching my figure. This trigger solved that problem.)
    CZC recoil spring (not sure what the weight is)
    CZC competition hammer
    CGW 11.5 lb hammer spring,
    CGW extended firing pin,
    CGW firing pin spring
    CGW trigger pin
    CGW reduced power trigger return spring
    CGW action polishing (I think this makes a big difference. From CZC there huge portions that were untouched. CGW made much of the internals look like a mirror.)

My advice would be to just send it to CGW. They do the best work.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That's regrettable, but the only parts this gun will ever need are springs, and I've got spares. Also magazines. In a world full of striker-fired pistols, having a decent hammer-fired, all stainless steel gun, will be pure gravy. In the past, all the so-called Saturday Night Special autos (like the Ravens, Davis, Jennings, Sterlings and others) were all striker-fired pistols. They were cheap to make and many worked remarkably well. The idea of driving a firing pin forward by way of a spring was an innovative way to build a cheap, reliable pistol that would work shot after shot without malfunctions. But I have reservations about investing $500 in a striker-fired pistol that costs as much as a hammer-fired one. It was, in my view, a way for the entire industry to get rich by cutting some pretty hefty corners. Everyone seems to be headed in that direction, though, and there's a reason for that. There's more money to be made.

So unless one is willing to buy a 1911 or a Sig, these older pistols will, I think, increasingly become classics. Another "sleeper" pistol that nearly everyone seems to miss is the Taurus PT 92. And as much as I detest their revolvers, their Beretta clones actually make them better in some ways. In the early 80s, I found these autos to be as reliable as Berettas, but not nearly as accurate. And the finish was dull and listless. The quality was just not there.

Now, things have changed. My current PT92 is stainless steel with a beautifully plated frame and, unlike the current Berettas, they're not two-tone, which is a huge plus. Everything's silver and shiny, and the safety is the cocked-and-locked type, not a hammer drop, which I think is better. The gun has a hammer and is much less expensive than most striker-fired autos.

_

Nice! Ive always wanted one of them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom