• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwags123

Jun 23, 2010
    Parsonsburg
    Looking to buy a new machine gun. I have a mac 11 now with the max11 kit. Looking to get a new one just was wondering what is now legal to buy with the new laws

bwags123

Jun 23, 2010
    Parsonsburg
    Oh great I haven't kept up with the law but the last I remembered was they thought the mac were not going to be legal or others bc of copycat reasons

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    Oh great I haven't kept up with the law but the last I remembered was they thought the mac were not going to be legal or others bc of copycat reasons

Yeah, there was a lot of confusion but there are no changes. As mentioned, the FSA only applies to semi's.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Yeah, there was a lot of confusion but there are no changes. As mentioned, the FSA only applies to semi's.
    Not trying to be contrarian, but that isn't clear.

Yes, Copycats are semi only, but not all of the now-banned Assault Long Guns listed in the bill are semi autos or include the words "semi auto" in the specific listing. Most of them are semi autos, but a few aren't.

For instance, the listing for the BM 59 doesn't say "semi auto BM 59" so arguably the full-auto version (select fire version) is banned along with the semi-auto version.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, and if someone can show me where the bill says the bans apply only to semi-autos (again, I'm not talking about the Copycat definition) I'll gladly eat my words.

But taking the text of the statute at face value, I'd say that the MSP (and the courts) could argue (and find) that the law bans at least some machine guns (admittedly, very few and not the ones listed by the OP).

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    BM 59 MG isn't banned, I just transferred one in full auto and it was subsequently registered with MSP, no problems.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I believe it clearly states semiautomatic centerfire rifles.

^This. Its quite clear. You have been able to transfer Uzis, Macs, MP5Ks, etc. which have been on the MD banned assault pistol list for ages even before SB281. Same wording.

There are no restrictions on MGs.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    BM 59 MG isn't banned, I just transferred one in full auto and it was subsequently registered with MSP, no problems.
    That's good to hear, but we are talking about the same agency that for years didn't realize that SBRs are handguns that need to be on the roster if sold in Maryland.

Again, not to trying to be a contrarian but I wouldn't be surprised if someone, someday were to get a rejection on such a transfer (assuming there were a brisk trade in BM 59s!).

Separately, mind if I ask how much that BM 59 went for? I've got a semi-auto (the BM 62, actually) and dream of a FA version some day.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    I believe it clearly states semiautomatic centerfire rifles.
    Not a challenge here Bro but a genuine request. Please show me in the statute where it says that the list of banned assault long guns are only semi automatics?

Most of the weapons listed have the words "semi auto" in front of them.

But for those that don't, doesn't statutory interpretation require that one NOT read the words "semi auto" into a listing where it is absent?

If you can, please point me to where in the statute that it says that the statute itself applies only to SAs? (Again, not talking about the copycat provision, which is indeed only SA centerfires).

Again, I'm not trying to start a war here (always a danger on internet boards) but trying to nail down a provision.

Thanks

Last edited:

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    ^This. Its quite clear. You have been able to transfer Uzis, Macs, MP5Ks, etc. which have been on the MD banned assault pistol list for ages even before SB281. Same wording.

There are no restrictions on MGs.
    You are correct that the FA versions of those pistols are and were legal, but that is only because the banned weapons are defined as "semiautomatic Uzi pistol" etc. It doesn't say just "Uzi".

Likewise, almost all the banned rifles say semi-auto, like "semi-auto FNC" etc. But a few don't, like the BM59 (that's the only one that comes to mind for me right now). And I can't anywhere in the statute that provides for an MG exception per se that would exempt an FA BM59 from the ban on BM59s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom