What is the Fascination with Muzzleloaders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Loch Raven needs to allow ML for Bambi whacking.

Make it primitive (side lock). Make folks qualify. And it will be relatively safe because not many folks will participate.

And keep the non hunting crowd out of the area for ten days.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Honestly I love my ML. Sure it is a modern inline that I am using now, but I am actually thinking of trying to find a reproduction 1803 harpers ferry rifle. I'd love something muzzleloading and flintlock (but I want rifled).

There is kind of an allure of only having the one shot to bag a deer. Also, pulling that trigger and watching the gush of smoke is pretty cool too. Handloading powder and bullet down the barrel is also so much fun. The only part of MLs I dislike is cleaning them. But hey, the rest is fun enough I'll keep at it. I mean, I hate cleaning up after brewing beer, but I keep brewing beer.

Also the extra few weeks of muzzleloader season doesn't hurt. Or that a number of places don't allow rifles and some even shotguns, but they do allow MLs.

You said Muzzle loading and flint lock so I give you eye candy:
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/category.aspx/485

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I'm in the group that likes it better for hunting over a shotgun. Especially living in MoCo. I just found out from a friend the other day about this little caveot in the rules. Haven't had the chance to shoot a deer yet but it's coming.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Not being argumentative, but what is the advantage of using a ML over a shotgun during shotgun season?

Ergonomics? Trajectory? Recoil?

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Not being argumentative, but what is the advantage of using a ML over a shotgun during shotgun season?

Ergonomics? Trajectory? Recoil?
    You don't have to buy dedicated slug gun. Shooting smooth bore slugs in a regular shotgun barrel is not as accurate as a modern in-inline muzzle loader when going out to and beyond 100 yards. For folks that don't want another dedicated gun (i.e. a slug shotgun (rifled barrel)), they can use their muzzle loader during the shotgun season.

A dedicated slug gun (shotgun with rifled barrel) is as accurate and has as much range as modern in-line muzzle loaders. The advantage is quick re-loads and being less susceptible to the elements (rain affecting the powder). You also have fewer pieces to drop/lose: powder, primer, sabot vs. a single cartridge.

DennisCA

I have absolutely ZERO experience when it comes to muzzleloaders!! For my education, please help me understand the fascination with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ApnRX_g5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l4alj6RRkM

Seems like a lot of work to me but perhaps that's what's so enjoyable

Is it expensive to get started and going?

TIA!!

Here's me shooting my ML rifle (in slo-mo):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy_qUe66u2I

Here's of my two BP guns: (One rifle - One pistol)
    Black%20Powder%20Guns%2006-27-15__zpsadlany5c.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ML vs shotgun, the ballistic coefficient is much higher on modern bullets in a muzzleloader. The energy is between a 20 and a 12 gauge depending on what powder and how much. It is a lot more accurate and out past about 100-150yds you have more bullet energy than a 12 gauge slug because it is such a poor flier.

The velocity is also high enough you have legit hydrostatic shock effects, which a pistol or a shotgun can't produce. So you have a huge bullet compared to a rifle, but smaller than a shotgun slug and you also have some legit hydrostatic shock effects that you don't have with a shotgun. You also have better accuracy and range potential than a shotgun. You have only a single shot. That is pretty much the only major handicap over a shotgun. Well, at pretty short ranges a 12 gauge might have better dropping potential.

My neighbor swears by muzzleloaders over shotguns anywhere they are both legal. His claims are around 30 deer over the years with a modern inline muzzleloader and about 10 with 12 and 20ga shotguns. He said he has only had a couple of deer with MLs that ran more than 30yds. Almost every deer he has hit with a shotgun has run at least 30yds.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I bought a modern in-line last year (CVA Optima V2 with scope) and just got my first deer with it. Not my choice for an all day session at the range but fantastic for deer hunting.

It's light to carry, recoil is less than my 12 ga ultra slug hunter, accurate (1-2" groups at 100 yds), and as mentioned by others I can hunt with it during both muzzleloader and firearms seasons. Don't remember what I paid but it was very affordable and shipped straight to my door (no FFL required).

With modern powder such as Blackhorn 209, cleaning is much easier than other powders...I've put as many as 10 shots through it in between full cleaning.

What tipped the scales for me was getting an extra 3 weeks of hunting with a rifle that allows longer range shots than with archery gear.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I bought a modern in-line last year (CVA Optima V2 with scope) and just got my first deer with it. Not my choice for an all day session at the range but fantastic for deer hunting.

It's light to carry, recoil is less than my 12 ga ultra slug hunter, accurate (1-2" groups at 100 yds), and as mentioned by others I can hunt with it during both muzzleloader and firearms seasons. Don't remember what I paid but it was very affordable and shipped straight to my door (no FFL required).

With modern powder such as Blackhorn 209, cleaning is much easier than other powders...I've put as many as 10 shots through it in between full cleaning.

What tipped the scales for me was getting an extra 3 weeks of hunting with a rifle that allows longer range shots than with archery gear.

don't forget the knockdown power! Typically the deer drop in their tracks...or don't run far at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom