What is the Fascination with Muzzleloaders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not a bad reason here, though i'm a little concerned with K31's ever increasing nipple fetish.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Not a bad reason here, though i'm a little concerned with K31's ever increasing nipple fetish.

Come on...why not just help a brotha out?

Attachments

• nibblers.jpg
      nibblers.jpg
      14.5 KB · Views: 253

Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    I just love the additional challenge of a muzzleloader, and they come in all descriptions.
    In Maryland you can hunt with a hand-cannon pistol, a traditional Hawkin, a CW musket, or a modern in-line. Whatever makes you happy!

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    Ah...the timeless muzzleloader - aka - "Muzzy". When men were men and when boys grew up they wanted to be like the men that carried this classic weapon of a simpler time.

For me it was always about making the shot count. I aimed where I intended to hit. I saw the animal and I on more of a equal balance of sorts, even though I had the firearm.

It's a simple rifle. Can't get much more simpler than a good ole "Muzzy".

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have been around black powder since I was a kid, shooting reproduction Civil War muskets and revolvers the most, plus a friend's under hammer rifle. Lately, I have gotten into flintlock rifles after seeing some original rifles in museums over the last few years. If you are interested, check out the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, nmlra.org You can find a club in your area as well as get literature on how to shoot muzzle loaders. There are some less expensive rifles available such as the Lyman Plains Rifle in flint or percussion. Trackofthewolf.com has a lot to offer and you can spend a lot of money on flintlock rifles built by some very talented gunsmiths. Visit a local club such as the Marriottsville Muzzleloaders and they will be glad to help. You will need some tools to shoot such as ramrod, powder measure, powder horn, and other gear. But I find it to be a lot of fun to do this simple kind of shooting. Good luck to you and let us know if you get into it.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    I much prefer hunting with my BP rifle then a 12 ga. Haven't picked up the shotgun in nearly 20 years, even during firearms season.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I just love the additional challenge of a muzzleloader, and they come in all descriptions.
    In Maryland you can hunt with a hand-cannon pistol, a traditional Hawkin, a CW musket, or a modern in-line. Whatever makes you happy!

You will use a lot less ammo for a days shooting. And it puts you in touch with your pioneer side.
    :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Honestly I love my ML. Sure it is a modern inline that I am using now, but I am actually thinking of trying to find a reproduction 1803 harpers ferry rifle. I'd love something muzzleloading and flintlock (but I want rifled).

There is kind of an allure of only having the one shot to bag a deer. Also, pulling that trigger and watching the gush of smoke is pretty cool too. Handloading powder and bullet down the barrel is also so much fun. The only part of MLs I dislike is cleaning them. But hey, the rest is fun enough I'll keep at it. I mean, I hate cleaning up after brewing beer, but I keep brewing beer.

Also the extra few weeks of muzzleloader season doesn't hurt. Or that a number of places don't allow rifles and some even shotguns, but they do allow MLs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom