What is the definition of a firearm purchase in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • liv4spd

Dec 31, 2023
    Maryland, USA
    Rookie here. I wonder if anyone could please help me with a policy question?

What is the definition of a firearm purchase in Maryland when it comes to the 30-day limitation?
    (a) the successful transfer of a firearm from the FFL to the buyer, or
    (b) the order of a firearm from an online dealer?

If the correct answer is (a), is there any limitations about how many firearms I can order in a month, assuming I will wait 30 days to pick up each of them later?

Thanks.

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    My understanding is the correct answer is (c) apply for designated collector status and don't worry about the 30 day limitation.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Apply for the collector status. It’s only needed for regulated purchases. Doesn’t cost anything , very simple and takes a couple weeks. Long guns buy as many as often as you want.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    This is still the wrong subcategory for your introduction.
    You could start looking for answer here:

which might lead you to this:

What part of MD are you from?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

What is the definition of a firearm purchase in Maryland when it comes to the 30-day limitation?

If the correct answer is (a), is there any limitations about how many firearms I can order in a month, assuming I will wait 30 days to pick up each of them later?

Thanks.
    Which FFL are you using?

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N

Thanks.
    Order firearms..
    What are you talking about..
    You can not order a firearm...

Where in Annapolis do you work?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Order firearms..
    What are you talking about..
    You can not order a firearm..

What are you talking about?

Of course you can order a firearm, people do it all the time. You just can't have it sent to your house.

Op is asking when the clock starts, and the answer is when transferred (specifically, when the FFL submits the online form to MSP).

The date ordered doesn't matter, but OP needs to make sure if he plans to order in advance of when he is able to transfer again that the recieving FFL is willing to hold them until transfer can happen.

The real correct answer, as others stated, is to submit his application for a designated collector status... but it won't be approved until after he has purchased at least one regulated firearm, if he hasn't already done so.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    On a side note, be careful ordering handguns to be delivered to a local FFL for transfer to you (vs having the FFL ordering them): some remote sellers will happily take your money and ship a weapon that’s not on the Maryland handgun roster, and no transfer can occur (without also jumping through some very long hoops at best).

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    What are you talking about?

Of course you can order a firearm, people do it all the time. You just can't have it sent to your house.

Op is asking when the clock starts, and the answer is when transferred (specifically, when the FFL submits the online form to MSP).

The date ordered doesn't matter, but OP needs to make sure if he plans to order in advance of when he is able to transfer again that the recieving FFL is willing to hold them until transfer can happen.

The real correct answer, as others stated, is to submit his application for a designated collector status... but it won't be approved until after he has purchased at least one regulated firearm, if he hasn't already done so.
    My post was sarcastic!
    Check out the op other post and his post count..
    Ever mind, his other post has been taken down by the mods.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    My post was sarcastic!

Lol ok, my mistake. I usually catch that.

Check out the op other post and his post count..
    Ever mind, his other post has been taken down by the mods.

Yes, I saw it before it disappeared. That was not a 'constructive' suggestion as he put it, it was simply a lack of knowledge of how to use the board. And, a bad idea.

This one appears to be a legit question, but I could be wrong. :shrug:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

Thanks.

Assuming that you're a total newbie and need full context of what you're actually asking, you need to start with understanding that in Maryland there are regulated firearms (primarily handguns; but also stripped lowers) and non-regulated firearms (long guns). The "one every 30 days" only applies to regulated firearms. You can also do two at once, as part of a package deal/sale, but then would have to wait 60 days before your next purchase. If you get designated collector status, the 1/30 days no longer applies.

Also, note that if you're talking handguns, you will need to obtain your Handgun Qualification License (HQL) first before you can purchase one (unless you meet one of the few HQL exemptions). The HQL may be going away eventually as part of a pending lawsuit as to its constitutionality, but remains in effect as of right now. As noted, you need to be sure that any handguns you order are on the Maryland Handgun Roster.

I'd recommend introducing yourself in the introductions forum so we can get to know you a bit better.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    To further amplify the information above, a "stripped lower" refers to the lower receiver of an AR style rifle, which can be built by the purchaser into either a pistol or a rifle. It's the ability to build it into a pistol that generates the need for special treatment.

One doesn't need an HQL to purchase a handgun that is on the BATFE's list of "curios and relics" or that is at leas 50 years old. There are many handguns that were made before 1974 that are excellent for their intended purposes. Of course, one still has to have the background check, and endure the 7 day waiting period.

We all eagerly await your introductory post, demonstrating your bona fides as the next legislative session gears up to have its way with the battered gun owners of Maryland.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I find the OP strangely AI...

Watch limits on purchase frequency coming from the MGA... or maybe even a change to a longer wait...
    I agree, to me it's question is complex in the sense of a question for a "rookie" and then A & B examples.

If i am wrong than sorry, just trying to liven up the question a bit :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom