what is the current rate for GI ammo cans?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Msg received from vendor:

These cans are made in China. They are MILSPEC and have our ACM stamp on the end. thank you for your patronage
    Tom
    Ammo Can Man

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I have a few of the china cans and the metal is a lighter gauge. They seem to seal fine but they are not as sturdy as the real thing.

I just measured (using a micrometer) sidewalls of couple "new unstenciled" 30 cal cans I got from Midway against some original 30 M1 cans from old DCM. Identical to one thousandth of an inch. I'll measure ACM's when they arrive.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I got them of Natchezz (sp?) for like $11.66 delivered. They were on sale I think.

I just got my box of ten from Natchez delivered for $10.75 each. But the OP is looking for "VERY nice" and I wouldn't call them that. They are nice to me, but there is some dirt and a tiny bit of rust on the outside of the some of them. Insides are completely dry and totally clean, however. Also made in USA!

Attachments

• IMG_1642_1.JPG
      IMG_1642_1.JPG
      22 KB · Views: 116
    Last edited:

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    A guy at Chantilly was selling 30 cal cans for $8, they were in pretty good condition.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I just picked up 10 from Chevellenut71 at the Howard County Gun show for $11 each. They were in GREAT shape. Much better than the vendor at the show selling dirty, rusted cans for $14 each.

Jim Smith

Last edited:

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I just measured (using a micrometer) sidewalls of couple "new unstenciled" 30 cal cans I got from Midway against some original 30 M1 cans from old DCM. Identical to one thousandth of an inch. I'll measure ACM's when they arrive.

eBay cans arrived. ACM can sidewalls ran 2-3 thousandths thinner than others - that's not much. Anyway, I decided to weigh the cans (because, to me, the top covers felt heavier on the non-GI cans). Results: cans from Midway (Unk. mfg.) 62.8 oz; eBay (China) 61.2 oz; and GI (US) 58.5 oz! Hmmm . . . GI cans are a quarter pound lighter! :rolleye12 All that aside, all these cans seem to be of really good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom