• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    To my knowledge, schools are always off limits. The general assembly just passed a bill allowing off duty LEO to carry on school grounds.

Don't they still have to have their badge showing or be in uniform, the same standards as "on duty"?

God I hate the off and on duty moniker. If you are in your jurisdiction, you are always on duty.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    No. Good for three years past the original expiration.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Excellent. I heard some say they weren't doing this anymore. As far as I know it always went 3 years from the prior expiration date no matter how early you submitted the renewal. That is the way it should be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

divingraven

Apr 24, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Well, 51 days after MSP received my application (but only 33 days for my wife), I got a call this afternoon; interview tomorrow afternoon at the Easton barracks. Trooper is not from Easton, but will be in the area tomorrow. He said he would interview us at the same time, and it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

divingraven

Apr 24, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Had our interviews on August 10th. Trooper was from the licensing division (the person who handles investigations out of Easton is a family member, so he passed it back directly to the licensing division). He interviewed me first, then my wife, separately of course. Went over G&S page. Wanted to know about specific numbers from business concerning deposits. He asked some pretty detailed questions about how much money we deposit, is it cash or check, how often do you deposit, what times do you deposit. We both put a paragraph about self defense as a G&S reason because of the heroin epidemic and other terrorist happenings; trooper did not ask about it and had actually had it crossed out on his page. Also asked us both about any prescribed medications, instability in our spouse, and criminal and psychiatric history. He said we should hear something in another couple of weeks.

After the interview and after speaking to my wife about what the trooper asked her, unfortunately, I'm convinced that restrictive Good and Substantial is alive and well in Maryland CCW and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'll see what the restrictions are when received, and think about appealing depending on how bad they are.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

After the interview and after speaking to my wife about what the trooper asked her, unfortunately, I'm convinced that restrictive Good and Substantial is alive and well in Maryland CCW and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'll see what the restrictions are when received, and think about appealing depending on how bad they are.

Same experience.

divingraven

Apr 24, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    So I'm on day 81 and still waiting. What's your opinion on contacting the investigating trooper? Should I? Should I not? During my interview he said it would be "a few more weeks", and today is 4 weeks. Am I going to piss him off and make him hold my application on his desk longer if I contact him? Or should I "remain" patient and wait the full 90 days?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Don't they still have to have their badge showing or be in uniform, the same standards as "on duty"?

God I hate the off and on duty moniker. If you are in your jurisdiction, you are always on duty.

I am not sure, but I don't believe so.

Yes, they do need to be displaying their badge if not in uniform, and the weapon needs to be concealed. See 4-102(a)(2) on Page 5:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/MDLawOnMagRestrictionsOTherRestrictions.pdf

Complete disregard for the safety of officers who work U/C. And I think most Feds would ignore it anyway...

divingraven

Apr 24, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Finally received my permit, with restrictions for the two businesses that I own. Nothing about my professional certification as a CPA, or one of my major clients whom the trooper asked to call (I'm not sure if he just did not call, or if the client told him no firearms. My guess is he didn't call, because I'm close with my client and I know he is 2A friendly, and he didn't say anything about receiving a call from a State Trooper about me carrying a firearm).

Mailed - 6/18/2015
    MSP Received - 6/19/2015 - Day 1
    Check Cashed - 6/23/2015
    Interview - 8/10/2015 - Day 52
    Approved - 9/9/2015 (per telephone call with Sgt. Knaub) - Day 83
    Approval Letter Dated - 9/15/2015 - Day 89
    Packet Postmarked - 9/16/2015 - Day 90
    Received - 9/18/2015 - Day 92

My wife sent her application in 18 days after me, and does not have her permit, although we were both interviewed on the same day with the same trooper, and we offered the exact same G&S reasons. My guess is they will hold hers the allowable 90 days before they send it out.

I'm waiting to see how montoya32's appeal goes, but I'm thinking I should appeal to try and at least and have my professional designation as CPA added as a restriction. We shouldn't have restrictions at all, but I guess I'll work within the system we have at this time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom