• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    All of the polymers I've seen have that little plate embedded. Not that I'm gonna try digging them out to see how easy it would be.
    The question is, what's the possibility of ALL polymer firearms being made technically illegal all at once.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Its true. You actually can retrieve a completely destroyed serial # if its been removed from metal. It can be retrieved even if its been removed by a dremel, deeply scratched ect. Don't ask me how, don't ask me for links to a web site, but I know for a fact a crime lab can retrieve that number. Now if its been removed with a CNC machine then it could be gone forever.

Saw a pic once of a steel pistol frame sitting on a big magnet and someone with metallic spray.

Sent from my Samsung Phone using Tapatalk

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I would think if the SN was cut into the metal and then that surface were milled off, nothing could be retrieved. If, on the other hand, the SN is stamped into the base metal, the grain boundaries will still show the deformation from the stamping well below the surface.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    At least 40 years ago I read about the FBI recovering obliterated serial numbers by examining the molecular disturbance of the of the remaining metal. It's old technology, x-rays, perhaps. Think of writing on a pad of paper, then tearing off the top ten pages: the writing might still be recovered from the 11th page. Lazy and stupid criminals usually don't remove much metal.

I'm sure you could remove the number on a AR by drilling all the way through, and milling out a neat little "window", though I'm sure that would cut into the resale value.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Metal serial numbers plates attached to polymer firearms must be embedded in such a way that removing them will significantly damage or destroy the firearm

Not my final answer... but I think I'm probably OK with this.

If you want an unserialized lower, that's your business... but there are still ways to go about it without--at the very least--making yourself appear to be up to no good.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Most serial numbers are stamped onto metal using substantial pressure. This process disturbs the molecular stucture of the metal where the serial number is stamped onto. the molecular structures compresses a bit and will have a subtle difference with the metal in the surrounding area. This pattern goes deep into the metal. Even if the serial number is ground off, the variation of the metal structure caused by the serial number stamping process can be made to stand out by chemical, mechanical or radiological methodology.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Most serial numbers are stamped onto metal using substantial pressure. This process disturbs the molecular stucture of the metal where the serial number is stamped onto. the molecular structures compresses a bit and will have a subtle difference with the metal in the surrounding area. This pattern goes deep into the metal. Even if the serial number is ground off, the variation of the metal structure caused by the serial number stamping process can be made to stand out by chemical, mechanical or radiological methodology.
    Kind of like Ben Grimm. :D

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Its true. You actually can retrieve a completely destroyed serial # if its been removed from metal. It can be retrieved even if its been removed by a dremel, deeply scratched ect. Don't ask me how, don't ask me for links to a web site, but I know for a fact a crime lab can retrieve that number. Now if its been removed with a CNC machine then it could be gone forever.

drill bit and handheld drill removes everything, nothing left to examine, and are way more common than dremmels, and cheaper than cnc mills.

have you seen the skeletonized lowers? those have everything except the sn removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom