• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I can remove a serial # off any old eagle arms at lower with a screwdriver too. With a dremel, or cut off tool, I could remove the SN off any AR lower in 30 seconds.

Interesting...

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I can remove a serial # off any old eagle arms at lower with a screwdriver too. With a dremel, or cut off tool, I could remove the SN off any AR lower in 30 seconds.

Interesting...
    yes but how many people bought these in MD or other places as one of there only AR's and now have a illiegal firearm. I am just saying ATF is going crazy

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    The comments of that article are quite interesting...... it seems that not everybody agrees with TheFirearmBlog

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    it looks to me like the ease with which very basic items could be used to remove it is what the issue is, not the lowers themselves. if plum crazy can find another way to affix it so that it's not AS EASY to remove, they'll likely become legal again.

i'd be willing to bet that ATF will even allow owners an amnesty period to exchange them for an "updated" version that passes muster.

i don't agree with it in the first place, just trying to translate a bit for those going off the deep end is all. ;)

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    Why don't you just get the serial engraved somewhere else on the PC lower? Problem solved.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Yes but CSI told me they can recover the sn with acid etching and you can't do that if the plate with the sn is gone!!!!!!

I think the ATF watches too much TV.

Its true. You actually can retrieve a completely destroyed serial # if its been removed from metal. It can be retrieved even if its been removed by a dremel, deeply scratched ect. Don't ask me how, don't ask me for links to a web site, but I know for a fact a crime lab can retrieve that number. Now if its been removed with a CNC machine then it could be gone forever.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Its true. You actually can retrieve a completely destroyed serial # if its been removed from metal. It can be retrieved even if its been removed by a dremel, deeply scratched ect. Don't ask me how, don't ask me for links to a web site, but I know for a fact a crime lab can retrieve that number. Now if its been removed with a CNC machine then it could be gone forever.
    But a CNC (computer numerical control) machine is really just a high-tech, expensive fancy shmancy Dremel tool. :shrug:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

A Dremel or grinder can cut a serial number out quite easily. No expensive machines needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom